• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

They lost it after last year. My buddy is on the Web and River Run is his home course so he was really pumped about it being in the playoffs again, but 2 of the 4 playoff events are in Ohio now.

Yeah, hated to see them lose the Web.com playoff event, but once they lost the Chiquita sponsorship, it was only a matter of time before it relocated. They will be hosting the NC Amateur in 2017, however. It always seems to be in great shape the few times I've gotten to play it.

Heard TPC was having some money issues lately, but maybe the ClubCorp infusion will help them. Have never played Firethorne, would like to give it a try someday.

Has anyone here played Erin Hills, site of next year's US Open?

Is it worth me driving 2+ hours from Chicago, plunking down almost $400 for the round+caddy+tip to play it, and driving 2+ hours back?

I'm going to Chicago on business and was considering it. I might be able to get my company to fly me into Milwaukee instead, then I could go play and would only have to drive down to Chicago instead of having to drive both ways (would then fly out of Chicago home).

Is it worth me driving 2+ hours from Chicago, plunking down almost $400 for the round+caddy+tip to play it, and driving 2+ hours back?

I'm going to Chicago on business and was considering it. I might be able to get my company to fly me into Milwaukee instead, then I could go play and would only have to drive down to Chicago instead of having to drive both ways (would then fly out of Chicago home).

When you can play a US Open venue.....

Yes, I played it last fall. Simply put, it's amazing. It instantly went into my top 5 list.

The course feels like it's been there forever and it's a blast to play. It's walking only, and because of how spread out it is you'll log about 8 miles. Take a caddie and have a great time.

So the Honey takes me to California for my 65th two weeks ago and I play

1. Pebble
2. SpyGlass
3. San Fran GC
4. Harding Park

Hell of a week.

Damn, that's awesome. How would you rank them?

We got on SFGC when oldest son bid and won at auction, 3 years ago; had to play with a member; our caddy sucked but it was an awesome track.

Rank

1. Spyglass by far; great track. Tough as nails but just a beautiful layout. Very happy with my 91. Amazing it doesn't host its own Event; caddies say pros won't play it.

2. Pebble next. Just 3-4 of the best holes I ever played. Par #8 which is the nicest hole I ever played. The Honey birdied #4, par #5 and was in heaven the rest of the week. 5 1/2 hours to play which sucked. Shot 92; toughest part was teeing off at #1 with about 90 people watching. Dead straight; 240 down the shute which I was thrilled about.

3 SFGC was awesome. Like I said the caddy sucked but playing with a member who knew the Course was very helpful plus he gave us a tour of the Clubhouse and trophy room after, which was a treat. Shot 91

4. Harding was awesome; pricey for a Muni $170 but after paying Pebble/SG it was a bargain. Jerry Rice was in the foursome ahead of us with 3 of the best looking women you'll ever lay your eyes on. Good, not great shape, gets a lot of play; Happy with my 90.

Last edited:
Mind sharing any details about the clubhouse tour or why your caddie sucked?

Glad to; poor guy I really kinda felt sorry for him. He had two artificial hips and was, well slow as shit. He obviously got shit faced the night before and had a hang over and reaked of booze. That and carrying two bags up and down those hills he just wasn't cutting it. When I turned to the Member on hole 3 and said, " T will never make 9 let alone 18" he said T was a iron man and will be fine. Obviously a club house favorite so nothing more was said but too slow and not as helpful reading greens, etc as I would of liked.

SFGC Clubhouse was amazing; being Tillinghaus only design west of the Mississippi and opening in 1915 it had tons of history/ photos of the numerous notables that had played there over the years including Arnie, Jack and of course natives Ken Venturi and Johnny Miller who both caddied there. The "trophy room" with all hardware from years past of tourney's etc. was incredible.

They play a game there I never heard of called "rakes". There are 131 bunkers on SFGC. The game is anytime anyone hits into a bunker it's a "rake". The last guy in a bunker on 18 pays each man $1.00 for every rake counted which can get expensive. We played starting on #13 and oldest son paid each of us $17 for a total of 51 rakes.....ha. Lot of fun.

Last edited:
Glad to; poor guy I really kinda felt sorry for him. He had two artificial hips and was, well slow as shit. He obviously got shit faced the night before and had a hang over and reaked of booze. That and carrying two bags up and down those hills he just wasn't cutting it. When I turned to the Member on hole 3 and said, " T will never make 9 let alone 18" he said T was a iron man and will be fine. Obviously a club house favorite so nothing more was said but too slow and not as helpful reading greens, etc as I would of liked.

SFGC Clubhouse was amazing; being Tillinghaus only design west of the Mississippi and opening in 1915 it had tons of history/ photos of the numerous notables that had played there over the years including Arnie, Jack and of course natives Ken Venturi and Johnny Miller who both caddied there. The "trophy room" with all hardware from years past of tourney's etc. was incredible.

They play a game there I never heard of called "rakes". There are 131 bunkers on SFGC. The game is anytime anyone hits into a bunker it's a "rake". The last guy in a bunker on 18 pays each man $1.00 for every rake counted which can get expensive. We played starting on #13 and oldest son paid each of us $17 for a total of 51 rakes.....ha. Lot of fun.

That can't be right. He's the architect of note on dozens of courses in California and Texas.

Still, I'm legit jealous you got to play out there.

Couple years ago I definitely learned a lesson about caddies - we were playing a tournament at Pinehurst on #2 and I thought, hey, why not get a caddie for myself and if the other guys on my team don't want one no big deal. More of a money thing for them. Plus a couple years before that we got a great caddie so I wasn't really thinking about potential negatives.

They give us this guy who was like the perfect stereotype of grouchy old man. Plus he couldn't carry my bag, so he got a cart. You'd think his age might be an advantage in experience, but he couldn't read greens for shit. He also had old-timer yardages in his head and kept picking clubs for me. None of which would have been THAT bad except that he loved to argue everything. Typical exchange.

"Hit this 6 iron."
"What's the yardage to the front?"
"I said hit the 6 iron so go on and hit it."
"Ok what's the yardage to the pin?"
[ silence ]
"Seriously what's the yardage?"
"... 130 yards to get on and 140 yards to the pin."
[ I grab PW ]
"You can't get on with that club!"
[ I hit it maybe 15 feet, just short and beneath the hole ]
"I TOLD YOU YOU CAN'T GET THERE WITH NO WEDGE!!!"

Any disagreement was pretty much a Tunnels-style argument where he'd find some way to be right even if I hit a good shot. He tried giving a read to another guy on my team who is a really excellent player - he ignored him and it broke the opposite way the caddie suggested and lipped out. Said he hooked his putts and it makes them break the wrong way. Next hole he's raking a bunker and my same guy grabs the stick to tend it. Our guy is about to pull the trigger on his putt and the caddie yells to drop that flag stick because that's his job!

In hindsight I should have asked him to just leave - definitely killed our team's attitude and pretty much trashed the experience in general. Needless to say we didn't play that well.

Couple years ago I definitely learned a lesson about caddies - we were playing a tournament at Pinehurst on #2 and I thought, hey, why not get a caddie for myself and if the other guys on my team don't want one no big deal. More of a money thing for them. Plus a couple years before that we got a great caddie so I wasn't really thinking about potential negatives.

They give us this guy who was like the perfect stereotype of grouchy old man. Plus he couldn't carry my bag, so he got a cart. You'd think his age might be an advantage in experience, but he couldn't read greens for shit. He also had old-timer yardages in his head and kept picking clubs for me. None of which would have been THAT bad except that he loved to argue everything. Typical exchange.

"Hit this 6 iron."
"What's the yardage to the front?"
"I said hit the 6 iron so go on and hit it."
"Ok what's the yardage to the pin?"
[ silence ]
"Seriously what's the yardage?"
"... 130 yards to get on and 140 yards to the pin."
[ I grab PW ]
"You can't get on with that club!"
[ I hit it maybe 15 feet, just short and beneath the hole ]
"I TOLD YOU YOU CAN'T GET THERE WITH NO WEDGE!!!"

Any disagreement was pretty much a Tunnels-style argument where he'd find some way to be right even if I hit a good shot. He tried giving a read to another guy on my team who is a really excellent player - he ignored him and it broke the opposite way the caddie suggested and lipped out. Said he hooked his putts and it makes them break the wrong way. Next hole he's raking a bunker and my same guy grabs the stick to tend it. Our guy is about to pull the trigger on his putt and the caddie yells to drop that flag stick because that's his job!

In hindsight I should have asked him to just leave - definitely killed our team's attitude and pretty much trashed the experience in general. Needless to say we didn't play that well.

I had a caddie like that at Kiawah one year who was just so used to resort guests who hit their 7 iron 150 yards max. Really all I want from my caddie is yardages to carry trouble, and an explanation of where not to hit it.

Had a good caddie when we played Kiawah a few years back. He was in college (I think maybe at Clemson) and basically did what you wanted LK - told us where not to hit it and the best place to try and land a shot. Would say "hit your 180 club" if the distance was tough to gauge based on elevation or anything.

We got on SFGC when oldest son bid and won at auction, 3 years ago; had to play with a member; our caddy sucked but it was an awesome track.

Rank

1. Spyglass by far; great track. Tough as nails but just a beautiful layout. Very happy with my 91. Amazing it doesn't host its own Event; caddies say pros won't play it.

2. Pebble next. Just 3-4 of the best holes I ever played. Par #8 which is the nicest hole I ever played. The Honey birdied #4, par #5 and was in heaven the rest of the week. 5 1/2 hours to play which sucked. Shot 92; toughest part was teeing off at #1 with about 90 people watching. Dead straight; 240 down the shute which I was thrilled about.

3 SFGC was awesome. Like I said the caddy sucked but playing with a member who knew the Course was very helpful plus he gave us a tour of the Clubhouse and trophy room after, which was a treat. Shot 91

4. Harding was awesome; pricey for a Muni $170 but after paying Pebble/SG it was a bargain. Jerry Rice was in the foursome ahead of us with 3 of the best looking women you'll ever lay your eyes on. Good, not great shape, gets a lot of play; Happy with my 90.

Sounds like a blast. They do play Spyglass during the Pebble Beach Pro Am. Glad to hear it was in good shape; the last couple of times I've played there it wasn't in the best condition.

Yeah, had a great couple of caddies at Kiawah last fall. College guys.

Back