• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

A pet peeve of mine is waiting behind a golfer who is 250 yards out and waiting for the green to clear, only to slice the ball 30 yards right. You made me wait for 10 min for a 1% chance you actually hit the green?

As long as he has the next group in view on the next hole, I don't see what the problem is.

A pet peeve of mine is waiting behind a golfer who is 250 yards out and waiting for the green to clear, only to slice the ball 30 yards right. You made me wait for 10 min for a 1% chance you actually hit the green?

Honest question, do you think the person should just go for it and deal with the consequences or lay up? I'm not a 1% guy but I'm sure I've waited for plenty of greens to clear only to miss the green with a 3 wood.

Honest question, do you think the person should just go for it and deal with the consequences or lay up? I'm not a 1% guy but I'm sure I've waited for plenty of greens to clear only to miss the green with a 3 wood.

Layup. If the course isn't crowded by all means go for it.

Okay Pit. Help me buy some new irons. I'm a 20 handicapper and have been playing Taylormade racHTs off the rack for about ten years or so. Looking to upgrade. I've been fit at Golfsmith and found that I need an inch longer shaft (doesn't everybody?). Mizuno JPX-850s can no longer be custom fit. I'm looking at Callaway XRs and Ping G30s. Anything else I should look at?

HALP!

Okay Pit. Help me buy some new irons. I'm a 20 handicapper and have been playing Taylormade racHTs off the rack for about ten years or so. Looking to upgrade. I've been fit at Golfsmith and found that I need an inch longer shaft (doesn't everybody?). Mizuno JPX-850s can no longer be custom fit. I'm looking at Callaway XRs and Ping G30s. Anything else I should look at?

HALP!

You 6'5" or taller?

HALP!

I just bought Taylormade M2 irons earlier this summer and have loved them. Ive had my best rounds ever as I mentioned before so I'd recommend trying them out. I got 4-AW and have enjoyed them.

The 95/100 team ended up shooting a 40 on the front 9, but then had two blowup holes on the back (an 8 and a 7 both on par 4s). They ended up shooting an 86 (par 72).

I'm the 9 and the 5 had to cancel so we played straight up, me vs them two scrambling. The greens were in horrible condition and I had 4 3-putts in the first 7 holes. Even 3 footers were difficult and virtually no chance of making something outside 5 feet. I lost in matchplay by 2 but won in strokeplay 85-86.

Assume the 5 was playing with me and we probably shoot around an 80 and win by the 6 many here mentioned.

:slash:

:thumbsup:

I haven't played it. I have been to the course and walked around it. A friend played it two weeks ago and loved it. He liked it more than Whistling Straits. Are they really charging $400? Four years ago you could play it for $120. It might take you more than two hours to get there. The course is in a weird location and nowhere near the interstate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Green fees aren't $400 but once you add a caddie and tip you are going to be about there.

Layup. If the course isn't crowded by all means go for it.

Get over yourself..if I want to give it a go then you can wait..I might not make it but it beats the hell out of hitting into the group ahead. if the course is that jammed up it's not like you are going to play through.

I have 4 for sale if anyone is interested in Sunday Ryder Cup tickets. Got them up on SH and VS for now

Get over yourself..if I want to give it a go then you can wait..I might not make it but it beats the hell out of hitting into the group ahead. if the course is that jammed up it's not like you are going to play through.

+1

Same here and I only play 1/2" over (1/4" over based on many of the "modern" lengths). Just make sure you actually hit them better, not just longer. The longer the club the harder it is to control, and if you're not careful you'll end up with a big gap between your wedges and irons. I think basic clubfitting metrics are way too quick to extend lengths - and most pros don't come near what would be recommended for them.

Got fitted for some PSI irons last weekend. Getting them in next week.

New 7 iron goes farther than my current 6 iron. Gonna be a nice change of pace from playing Hogan Blades for 10 years

TITCR

Same here and I only play 1/2" over (1/4" over based on many of the "modern" lengths). Just make sure you actually hit them better, not just longer. The longer the club the harder it is to control, and if you're not careful you'll end up with a big gap between your wedges and irons. I think basic clubfitting metrics are way too quick to extend lengths - and most pros don't come near what would be recommended for them.

So I went with the JPX-900s. It was only 1/2" extra length not the 1" like I thought. I bought 4-AW, so hopefully the wedge issue won't be a big deal since I have the PW and AW through the set. I have a 56 degree Callaway MD3 that I love for sand and short stuff. Hopefully, there isn't a huge gap between the AW and the Callaway. I hit my Taylormade 6 iron about 150, but I was hitting the JPX about 170-180 and it felt great through contact. I hope I made the right decision.

Those M2s also look great. All I can say is that buying irons is kind of stressful. There is so much great new technology out there if you haven't purchased new irons recently.

Back