• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Not trying to #humblebrag here, first of all. A vendor of mine gave me a $600 gift certificate to the Pinehurst resort, and I'm planning on taking my dad. Checking prices, Pinehurst is still expensive af (shocker), and I could use some advice on how to make the money go the furthest.

- When should we go? Mid-Late September or Early-mid December fit schedules best (December weather could be miserable), or we could just wait until 2018
- Where should we stay? Perhaps off property (Pinecrest Inn?) to get cheaper lodgings?
- Where should we play? Definitely want to play #4, and don't think we'd want to splurge for #2 (both played it). Love #8 and hate #5 - have played both a lot. What other resort course(s) are a must play?

Not trying to #humblebrag here, first of all. A vendor of mine gave me a $600 gift certificate to the Pinehurst resort, and I'm planning on taking my dad. Checking prices, Pinehurst is still expensive af (shocker), and I could use some advice on how to make the money go the furthest.

- When should we go? Mid-Late September or Early-mid December fit schedules best (December weather could be miserable), or we could just wait until 2018
- Where should we stay? Perhaps off property (Pinecrest Inn?) to get cheaper lodgings?
- Where should we play? Definitely want to play #4, and don't think we'd want to splurge for #2 (both played it). Love #8 and hate #5 - have played both a lot. What other resort course(s) are a must play?

Mid-Late September is pretty much peak Pinehurst. Do that if you can.
Stay at Pinecrest Inn if you want to be in the village. Pine Needles is a great place to stay in Southern Pines (my favorite overall).
Play #4. The only other Pinehurst courses worth playing in my opinion are #8 and #9 (if you are skipping #2, obviously).

I would play #4 - Dormie Club - Pine Needles - Mid Pines. If you want to add more rounds do #9 and Mid South. Or drive 30 minutes out to Tobacco Road and skip Mid South.

Mid-Late September is pretty much peak Pinehurst. Do that if you can.
Stay at Pinecrest Inn if you want to be in the village. Pine Needles is a great place to stay in Southern Pines (my favorite overall).
Play #4. The only other Pinehurst courses worth playing in my opinion are #8 and #9 (if you are skipping #2, obviously).

I would play #4 - Dormie Club - Pine Needles - Mid Pines. If you want to add more rounds do #9 and Mid South. Or drive 30 minutes out to Tobacco Road and skip Mid South.

Yeah, all good recs. Green fees alone are going to eat up the majority of the $600 for just one round on #4. I might try to just wait and pick a random nice weather weekend in the winter or next summer when rates are like half the price. Have stayed at Pine Needles/Mid Pines many times and love those properties.

I have a tourney there in October, and #4 will be closed so our second round is on #8. Last year for the same tourney the greens were a mess, so they're replacing all of them. I think they decided to also do a bunch more work on it and now it won't be open until Fall 2018.

I would not go in December unless cold weather doesn't bother you. It'll be damn cold then and the days are shorter. We went in November once and it was brutally cold, if it hadn't been a tournament I wouldn't have kept playing - and I'll play through almost anything. Late September is phenomenal but also the most expensive time possible to go. Only way to get good weather on the cheap is to get lucky with an early warm Spring and book early. If you go in September even the Pinecrest Inn is expensive, and the benefits for golf and food aren't as good as staying at the real Pinehurst so you'll often end up paying more. Or you could go super cheap and rock a Holiday Inn or something.

Honestly I might look into staying at Pine Needles, playing their main course and/or Mid-pines, then adding a single night at Pinehurst. You'll get the kickass breakfast and a round of your choosing, or a more reasonable upgrade for #2. I'm biased since #2 is my favorite course anywhere and I realize it's insanely expensive, but at least it would be less painful. Pine Needles and Pinehurst #2 are far and away, in my opinion, the best 2 courses around there. Everything else is at least one significant step down.

For the rest, Dormie has fallen on hard times but is still a cool layout. Hardest 10th hole anywhere. Tobacco Road is fun but goofy. 8, 9, mid-pines, etc - all solid and you can't go wrong with any of them.

I have a tourney there in October, and #4 will be closed so our second round is on #8. Last year for the same tourney the greens were a mess, so they're replacing all of them. I think they decided to also do a bunch more work on it and now it won't be open until Fall 2018.

I would not go in December unless cold weather doesn't bother you. It'll be damn cold then and the days are shorter. We went in November once and it was brutally cold, if it hadn't been a tournament I wouldn't have kept playing - and I'll play through almost anything. Late September is phenomenal but also the most expensive time possible to go. Only way to get good weather on the cheap is to get lucky with an early warm Spring and book early. If you go in September even the Pinecrest Inn is expensive, and the benefits for golf and food aren't as good as staying at the real Pinehurst so you'll often end up paying more. Or you could go super cheap and rock a Holiday Inn or something.

Honestly I might look into staying at Pine Needles, playing their main course and/or Mid-pines, then adding a single night at Pinehurst. You'll get the kickass breakfast and a round of your choosing, or a more reasonable upgrade for #2. I'm biased since #2 is my favorite course anywhere and I realize it's insanely expensive, but at least it would be less painful. Pine Needles and Pinehurst #2 are far and away, in my opinion, the best 2 courses around there. Everything else is at least one significant step down.

For the rest, Dormie has fallen on hard times but is still a cool layout. Hardest 10th hole anywhere. Tobacco Road is fun but goofy. 8, 9, mid-pines, etc - all solid and you can't go wrong with any of them.

I just played 8 and Pine Needles 6 weeks ago. 8 is leagues better than Pine Needles. Not sure the last time you played them. Pine Needles was undergoing some work, but still. 8 was pretty special.

I just played 8 and Pine Needles 6 weeks ago. 8 is leagues better than Pine Needles. Not sure the last time you played them. Pine Needles was undergoing some work, but still. 8 was pretty special.

I can’t get behind this. 8 might be in better shape but Needles is a better course (much better in my opinion).

Last edited:
Anyone have any restaurant recommendations in Kohler, Wisconsin? Staying at the Inn on Woodlake.

Back from California where I had the good fortune of being invited to play Olympic and Cal Club. I must say I was disappointed in Olympic. Ok, so I played the Ocean Course and not the Lake. And while the layout was challenging, the greens were in such bad shape that it took away from the experience. Plus Olympic is a huge facility (over 5,000 golf members) and not very quaint, far from what I expected.
Now Cal Club was incredible. If you can ever get an invite there, don't hesitate. Strictly a Men's Club with about 300 members, from tee to green one of the best course I've ever played. Incredible layout, magnificent shape and greens like glass. Funny I met a guy waiting at SFO oversized baggage claim flying in who asked what Courses I was playing and he said I would prefer CC. He was so right.

Played a scramble Monday where we were tied for the lead going into the last hole, a par 3. First 3 guys including myself all dumped our tee shots in the bunker. CEO of my company then hits a walk-off hole-in-one to win the tournament. Don't see that too often...

Played a scramble Monday where we were tied for the lead going into the last hole, a par 3. First 3 guys including myself all dumped our tee shots in the bunker. CEO of my company then hits a walk-off hole-in-one to win the tournament. Don't see that too often...

That is sick! He better have picked up the tab after the round.

honey_badger_like_a_boss_golf_balls-r6a414f4f1bf641e88839117e79760e33_efkk9_630.jpg

I'll be playing Old North State in October when I'm down for a wedding, anything I should know?

Everybody speaks so highly of it.

Don't tire yourself out or get too drunk before the last 3 holes. My favorite 3 finishing holes in NC, by far. Are you staying on/near the property?

i couldn't find the fairway again last weekend. feels like my game is receding, pretty pissed. without my father-in-law correcting my swing i can see the good-ole slice working it's way back into normality. i think i am going to choke up on the driver or drop to a 3-wood off the tee. mid-range game is keeping me sane, luckily, but i might as well also throw out my new putter. i lost so many pars or bogeys just from 3-putting.

best cub at the moment - 4-iron, 7-iron, PW

Last edited:
Don't tire yourself out or get too drunk before the last 3 holes. My favorite 3 finishing holes in NC, by far. Are you staying on/near the property?

Can confirm on the last 3 holes.

We had a very strong wind coming in off the lake on 17/18. I aimed left of the green with a knock down 5-iron on 18. Ended up across the cart path right.

Back