• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Yes. A lot faster and a lot less break than you would normally read. They're planning on making them faster next year.

one of our courses just put in champ bermuda (opened mid august). Same story - a lot less break unless is it really obvious on a side slope. if you read it outside the cup, don't give up the hole. very hard to get yourself to go against what your eyes tell you

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on some new irons. After hitting the Apex, P770, and now the new AP2 & AP3, I think it's going to be the AP3 for me. I didn't want to gain distance but I certainly didn't want to lose it which was happening with the AP2. AP3s definitely add some distance (though some of it is the stronger lofts). Probably about same distance wise as the Apex but a better look and feel for me. Seems like I'll be ditching my 3 iron with the stronger lofts and go 4-PW (basically my old 3-9iron) but now need to add another wedge to bridge the gap

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on some new irons. After hitting the Apex, P770, and now the new AP2 & AP3, I think it's going to be the AP3 for me. I didn't want to gain distance but I certainly didn't want to lose it which was happening with the AP2. AP3s definitely add some distance (though some of it is the stronger lofts). Probably about same distance wise as the Apex but a better look and feel for me. Seems like I'll be ditching my 3 iron with the stronger lofts and go 4-PW (basically my old 3-9iron) but now need to add another wedge to bridge the gap

Interesting that you lost distance with the AP2s. I gained probably 5-7 yards a club after switching from the MBs. Maybe the AP2s are stronger loft than my old MBs.

Interesting that you lost distance with the AP2s. I gained probably 5-7 yards a club after switching from the MBs. Maybe the AP2s are stronger loft than my old MBs.

Yea, seemed like i was 5-7 yards shorter with AP2 than my current 7 iron mizuno MP60). One of pros at course said he would have expected that for me (not sure exactly if it's my swing/the club/or a combo) and think they are similar lofts. This is probably why I went with the Mizuno 12 years ago instead of the AP2 when it was initially released.

AP3 seems to be 5-10 yards longer than current iron (haven't been on monitor, just going off of what I can see) though most of that is likely related to the stronger lofts (basically a club strong). A little hesitant to go full into AP3 given it is slightly bigger, but I don't really feel like playing around with lofts to make a combo set and risk throwing off bounce/lie/etc.

Interesting. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I got the Apex Pro's earlier this year and probably lost 5-7 yards of distance depending on the club but the workability and consistency of them are worth it to me compared to the TaylorMade SpeedBlades I had. Loved the AP2 16's and i'm sure the 18's are sweet as well. Those would have been my second choice.

Surprised you lost yards from the Mizuno's. Those have always been some of the shorter hitting irons that i've played/tried.

Interesting. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I got the Apex Pro's earlier this year and probably lost 5-7 yards of distance depending on the club but the workability and consistency of them are worth it to me compared to the TaylorMade SpeedBlades I had. Loved the AP2 16's and i'm sure the 18's are sweet as well. Those would have been my second choice.

Surprised you lost yards from the Mizuno's. Those have always been some of the shorter hitting irons that i've played/tried.

I didn't get any launch data on the AP2 vs mine so could be spin related but there wasn't a big difference in ball flight from watching it. Odd all around. That said, the AP3 is great and seems to be very forgiving based on the swings I've made so far during fitting and the other day comparing to apex. Definitely not as workable but you can move the ball if needed. I typically hit it straight unless I have to move it so they should work out for me. It'll be interesting when I get into the trees off the tee.

Hard to give a full report after just hitting a 7 iron but I'll report back in a few weeks after I get them in.

I have a pretty good mountain golf weekend coming up in a couple of weeks--Elk River and Linville Ridge on Saturday, followed by Grandfather on Sunday. The only one I have played previously is Elk River, so lots to look forward to.

I have a pretty good mountain golf weekend coming up in a couple of weeks--Elk River and Linville Ridge on Saturday, followed by Grandfather on Sunday. The only one I have played previously is Elk River, so lots to look forward to.

You know big friends in high places my friend. That's a ton of high end golf. I live in BR but have only managed Linville Ridge so far..terrific course. Fastest greens I've ever played. Enjoy yourself

One of my best friends is a member at Linville Ridge, love that place. Make sure you walk up to the renovated clubhouse, unbelievable view.

Grandfather should be in great shape. Last day of the NC Senior Am is today. They have the greens running between 12-12.5 so definitely stay below the hole.

Grandfather should be in great shape. Last day of the NC Senior Am is today. They have the greens running between 12-12.5 so definitely stay below the hole.

The scores were ridiculously high, the leader after two days is at 6-over and the low 60 and ties cut was 21-over. Never seen it that high at any CGA event. I get to play up there in a few weeks for the first time ever, am very pumped. I love mountain golf, Linville Ridge (which I've been fortunate enough to play about 5-6 times) is one of my top-3 favorite courses in the state.

The scores were ridiculously high, the leader after two days is at 6-over and the low 60 and ties cut was 21-over. Never seen it that high at any CGA event. I get to play up there in a few weeks for the first time ever, am very pumped. I love mountain golf, Linville Ridge (which I've been fortunate enough to play about 5-6 times) is one of my top-3 favorite courses in the state.

What makes it great imo is that it's not even mountain golf. It's golf in the mountains. Has all the views, but it's in the valley so you're not guessing over elevation changes. Only a few real elevation changes (13/16 tees 3/8 approaches)

A fellow MCGCC member and friend of mine, Harrison Rutter, is leading it right now. He's had a hell of a run lately. Made round of 32 in match play at the US Senior Am.

He's an amazing ball striker who doubts his putting skills, but when he gets hot with the putter he is clearly capable of playing with anyone.

I'm headed out to Scottsdale for several days in a few weeks. In addition to playing a few rounds, I'm thinking of doing a putter fitting. Has anyone ever gotten fit a putter? Has it made a difference? Did you need loft and lie angle adjustments?

I'm old and trying desperately to not get any shorter off the tee. Recently got on Trackman for the first time while demo-ing the new Ping G-400 driver. I was disappointed that it didn't seem to make me 20 yards longer, but the Ping rep and my club pro said 96 mph clubhead speed with good spin numbers was good for my age. I think they were just selling. Would like to hear from some of our resident equipment nerds. Thanks.

I'm old and trying desperately to not get any shorter off the tee. Recently got on Trackman for the first time while demo-ing the new Ping G-400 driver. I was disappointed that it didn't seem to make me 20 yards longer, but the Ping rep and my club pro said 96 mph clubhead speed with good spin numbers was good for my age. I think they were just selling. Would like to hear from some of our resident equipment nerds. Thanks.

Did trackman say it made you 20 yards longer or are you just disappointed that it didn't?

After I got the right clubhead and shaft, it appears to be maybe 10 longer that the Taylormade I've been hitting. Really wondering if 96 mph is good for a 66 year old or were they peeing on my leg. Trackman said the carry was 240 at 96 mph.

After I got the right clubhead and shaft, it appears to be maybe 10 longer that the Taylormade I've been hitting. Really wondering if 96 mph is good for a 66 year old or were they peeing on my leg. Trackman said the carry was 240 at 96 mph.

Umm, that sounds really good. I play sometimes with quite a few older dudes, and I think only one carries it around that length. Most don't come close, and they're all younger than 66. My dad is 63 and is lucky to hit it 240 total these days, and he used to hit it about 280 or so.

Back