• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Played Spyglass last week. Had perfect weather! We had the second tee-time on their twilight rate. We hardly waited on the folks in front of us and no one pushed us - we were playing as a twosome. It was a great day. It cost about $265 with cart for twilight rate - it was around $400 for the normal rate. The course was in great shape and we loved it - the first 5 holes are especially beautiful, as those are the ones near the ocean. After that the course becomes a bit ordinary - but still really nice, and pretty difficult. If I went back I would probably just play the front 9 twice - just for the views.

With the late start we had to quit because of darkness on the 17th. If we had focused on playing faster earlier in the round we could have finished, no problem. The guy I was playing with is a high handicap so we didn't move that fast.

All in all, we had a great day but I don't think I would pay almost $300 to play it again...

BTW, I have never seen so many deer on a course - there were 10 on one hole! There was a big buck standing guard, another big buck lounging in the sand trap, two yearling bucks bucking heads and a few does just chilling... They wouldn't even pay attention to you until you got within 20 feet of them...

All in all

Have you ever played Tanglewood? Jk of course, sounds awesome.

What is the going rate for a top country club monthly dues? I'm looking into to joining one, but the dues just seem like a lot. I haven't belonged to one before, and I'm sure I will be spending a bunch of money there on top of the dues. For comparison's sake, the club has pools and tennis and is at least a borderline top 100 golf course. 36 holes with no monthly minimum for food. I'm considering it this year, because the initiation will goes up dramatically next year due to my age. Thoughts?

cue "poor people scratch heads", etc.

What is the going rate for a top country club monthly dues? I'm looking into to joining one, but the dues just seem like a lot. I haven't belonged to one before, and I'm sure I will be spending a bunch of money there on top of the dues. For comparison's sake, the club has pools and tennis and is at least a borderline top 100 golf course. 36 holes with no monthly minimum for food. I'm considering it this year, because the initiation will goes up dramatically next year due to my age. Thoughts?

Depends on the area.

North of 450-500 / month

I'd say dues could get even higher than that, usually age dependent, area dependent etc like he said. Wouldn't be shocked to see it more in the 600 range with a top 100 golf course

Greatly dependent upon location. Where are you?

Depends on the area.

North of 450-500 / month

Yeah, this place is about $1,000 per month. I'm thinking I need to play a lot of freaking golf to make it worth it. The downside is I probably won't ever join if I don't do it this year due to the high initiation.

Yeah, this place is about $1,000 per month. I'm thinking I need to play a lot of freaking golf to make it worth it. The downside is I probably won't ever join if I don't do it this year due to the high initiation.

Are you sure you don't have to pay another chunk of the initiation fee later in life anyways? Most clubs do a "young professional membership" where it's half down upfront, half when you turn 35, or something like that.

Playing Pine Needles in a couple weeks, never played it before. It will be the end of November so what kind of shape should I expect it to be in?

I stayed at the lodge two nights ago but did not play the course. However it appeared to be in terrific condition from the clubhouse.

Are you sure you don't have to pay another chunk of the initiation fee later in life anyways? Most clubs do a "young professional membership" where it's half down upfront, half when you turn 35, or something like that.

Yep, sure about that. The initiation is not cheap, but it's manageable. I would be a full member or whatever with no initiation later. $1k/month just seems a little high. If I am going there, playing golf and having beers, I am going to be paying $1,300/month easy. That's a second mortgage.

Yep, sure about that. The initiation is not cheap, but it's manageable. I would be a full member or whatever with no initiation later. $1k/month just seems a little high. If I am going there, playing golf and having beers, I am going to be paying $1,300/month easy. That's a second mortgage.

As others have mentioned, initiation and dues vary widely, but $1,000 per month sounds pretty good for a top 100 course. In Dallas, there are clubs with upwards of $200,000 initiation fees and $1,500 monthly dues.

Also, when you're estimating your monthly payment, remember there can be a ton of extra charges you might not consider: capital charges, house charges, assessments for major projects, locker rental, guest fees, cart fees, kids' lessons/teams, etc. If you only end up paying $300 on top of your dues each month, you'll be doing pretty well.

Other than the top tier clubs, many private clubs are hurting for membership and may be willing to negotiate.

I live and play in a golf community in the Atlanta area. Dues are $650 monthly, cart fee is $20, and we have an $1800 per year kitchen minimum. That is pretty typical of the area other than places like Peacthree or the Atlanta Athletic Club.

Yeah, if your wife and kids are using the club too and you're buying food and drinks, an occasional piece of clothing, occasional golf lesson, cart fees, occasional fitness instruction, and minimal golf supplies, you're going to hit $2K a month in the summertime, easy. Not counting an occasional assessment.

But, if you can get in for a low initiation fee, go for it.

Top 50 club in ole meeje. Waived initiation fee cause, well, it’s Rubbins. Dues are cheap. Facilities amazing. Service first class. Ride my own golf cart to/from. Occasional dead bodies on course. Heavy cartel membership. Don’t ask don’t tell employment is the unwritten rule. Late nights in the lounge get weird sometimes. Hot chicks tending margarita stations on course during tournaments. Rubbins!

Last edited:

Here in Aiken the Reserve Club/Woodside Plantation I consider reasonable; much more reasonable than anything I experience up North. Club is not an Equity Club (which I prefer) and has all the immunities, pool, tennis, etc.

* Initaition $10k
* Family Membership (Unlimited golf) $450/mos & taxes
* Unlimited Cart (optional) $290/mos +. (Can’t own your own cart in Woodside.)
* No minimums

Mrs plays 2-3 Times a week; I play 4-5 times a week. Works out to around $20-$25 round. Good deal all around.

Last edited:

Would have to know where you are to know whether that was reasonable. Really nice clubs in this area (Raleigh/Durham/Cary) are more like $500-$600/month. To get up in the range you are talking about you would have to be somewhere super exclusive like Old Chatham or Eagle Point or something...

Would have to know where you are to know whether that was reasonable. Really nice clubs in this area (Raleigh/Durham/Cary) are more like $500-$600/month. To get up in the range you are talking about you would have to be somewhere super exclusive like Old Chatham or Eagle Point or something...

It's in a large metro area, and I'd rather not get too specific about it. The course also has a very well known Golden Age architect. As I mentioned before, it's on some top 100 lists.

At the risk of coming across as an A-Hole, if your mortgage is $1,300 a month then it doesn't really seem prudent to spend that same amount on your golf membership.

I live in the High Country and am surrounded by very high end courses (Linville Ridge, Grandfather Golf and CC, Elk River, Diamond Creek, and Blowing Rock CC to name a few) My experience with the very high end courses is if you have to ask what the membership costs and really think about it, then you probably can't/don't want to afford it. Those courses are meant for people that don't concern themselves with the cost of things.

In my experience rich fellas who don’t concern themselves with the cost of things very much concern themselves with the cost of things

In my experience rich fellas who don’t concern themselves with the cost of things very much concern themselves with the cost of things

I get what you're saying.
But let's be honest, if you are willing to spend 100,000 as an upfront cost and then at least a grand a month for recreation, you aren't really that concerned with the cost of things. Money, at that point, isn't your issue

Back