• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Just back from Scotland last night and all I can say is wow. If you love golf you have to, one day, make this trip. Helped that we saw no rain and very little wind for 5 days which I understand is unheard of.

Turnberry was by far the best golf/resort experience ever. Also played Crail, Glen Eagles and Kingsbarn, all very different; all amazing.

You must, one day do this if you haven't already.

Sounds awesome. We ever going to try and throw together another OGB outing in Winston?

Just back from Scotland last night and all I can say is wow. If you love golf you have to, one day, make this trip. Helped that we saw no rain and very little wind for 5 days which I understand is unheard of.

Turnberry was by far the best golf/resort experience ever. Also played Crail, Glen Eagles and Kingsbarn, all very different; all amazing.

Totally agree..It's a mountain top experience. And when I went last July there was a decent amount of wind/weather. But it's just like nothing we see or play in the states.

Best advice I have is get a caddy at the famous courses. Enjoy the walk at Muirfield, St Andrews, Carnoustie, etc with a caddy. Go for the total experience. It's well worth the additional cost.

I love Turberry as well. Awesome place. Which course did you play at Gleneagles? I’ve never played there and have been wondering whether to book it on a future trip.

I love Turberry as well. Awesome place. Which course did you play at Gleneagles? I’ve never played there and have been wondering whether to book it on a future trip.

Agree that you have to go Caddy in Scotland. Well worth the extra expense. We had the same caddy in all three of our rounds at Turnberry and it made a tremendous difference.

We played the Centenary Course where they played the Ryder Cup. Interesting, while ranked in the top 50 Courses on the Isles, it is ranked below the other two Glen Eagles Courses, King & Queen.

Glen Eagles is well worth the trip. While we did not stay overnight there, the Resort looked beautiful. If I take the Mrs. next time, I would do Turnberry and Glen Eagles. Only down side there is it is the most "American" of all the Courses we played.

Bachelor party in Charleston August 1st-5th, whats the recommendations?

Patriots Point is a pretty cool course for the view (right near the Ravenel), And has a couple of holes that go right by the water.

Bulls Bay is private but have heard good things. Obviously Kiawah too, which is 45 mins out.

I play at Wescott Plantation a good bit but it’s not anything special

Played twice over Memorial Day at the Beaufort Club and shot 87/91 while going 0/36 on birdies. Played today at meadowlands and shot 71 on 5/18 birdies. Golf is weird

Played twice over Memorial Day at the Beaufort Club and shot 87/91 while going 0/36 on birdies. Played today at meadowlands and shot 71 on 5/18 birdies. Golf is weird

No truer words were ever spoken. Getting ready to head to the Course. Wonder which guy is going to show up.

Headed to Hilton Head next weekend. Playing Atlantic Dunes (Old Ocean Course?) on Saturday. Any insight?

It happens. The difference for me is usually the short game. Good, bad, or ugly, I usually drive it pretty well. That’s the one swing that is always the same under the same conditions - no bad lies, downhill lies, etc. When I shoot 70’s, I hit greens and make some putts. When I shoot 85, I drive it OK, scrape it up around the green somewhere, and don’t get it up and down.

Finally played Musgrove Mill for the first time yesterday. Super wet, but a really cool course. So many cool visuals off the tee and into greens. Quite tight so not very many driver holes, but definitely worth the trip to the middle of nowhere. Next time I want to get a group down to stay in the cabins for a night or two.

Finally played Musgrove Mill for the first time yesterday. Super wet, but a really cool course. So many cool visuals off the tee and into greens. Quite tight so not very many driver holes, but definitely worth the trip to the middle of nowhere. Next time I want to get a group down to stay in the cabins for a night or two.

I played there several times probably 25 years or so ago, and really liked that course. Some cool holes and just a lot of fun to play. Plus the greens would roll so pure. Probably my favorite Palmer course in the States.

Got to play the Lake Course at Olympic last week and took a beating. Course was in fantastic shape and greens weren't as fast as rumored, but most the green side bunkers cost you an extra two strokes. Back 9 had a few traps 10+ feet deep with quite small greens, and another bunker opposite.

Got to play the Lake Course at Olympic last week and took a beating. Course was in fantastic shape and greens weren't as fast as rumored, but most the green side bunkers cost you an extra two strokes. Back 9 had a few traps 10+ feet deep with quite small greens, and another bunker opposite.

I played there a few months ago and my friend said it was the windiest day he had ever felt on the course. I shot 91 and it was barely my fault. I think I hit it into a greenside bunker on 13/18 holes. Play for the wind and it didn't grab it, went in the bunker. Don't play for the wind and it gusts the ball into the bunker. I'm looking forward to going back so I can get a better sense for the course.

We had to walk off the par 3 course because it was on the water and the wind made it unplayable. It blew one ball 70 yards off line into a group playing two holes over.

Anyone ever played Tot Hill Farm in Asheboro? Worth driving out to? Friend asked if I wanted to come play with him there this weekend.

Anyone ever played Tot Hill Farm in Asheboro? Worth driving out to? Friend asked if I wanted to come play with him there this weekend.

I've not played it. But it's a Mike Stranz course. If you like his stuff (i.e. Tobacco Road) then I'd give it a go.

I played there a few months ago and my friend said it was the windiest day he had ever felt on the course. I shot 91 and it was barely my fault. I think I hit it into a greenside bunker on 13/18 holes. Play for the wind and it didn't grab it, went in the bunker. Don't play for the wind and it gusts the ball into the bunker. I'm looking forward to going back so I can get a better sense for the course.

We had to walk off the par 3 course because it was on the water and the wind made it unplayable. It blew one ball 70 yards off line into a group playing two holes over.
Welcome to SF golf, though that sounds like some of the worst. But it makes sense as overall this year people are saying it's one of the windiest.

My "home" course is Presidio which is right in the city. Rarely a day that you're not fighting 20+ mph winds and/or dense fog. And then quite the elevation changes consider you're playing on a mountain.

Great layout, but it was in really bad shape when I played it about a year ago. The guy in the pro shop said it was being run by a management company and no money was being out into it. Not sure if it’s sold since or if anything has changed.

Great layout, but it was in really bad shape when I played it about a year ago. The guy in the pro shop said it was being run by a management company and no money was being out into it. Not sure if it’s sold since or if anything has changed.

Haven't been there in a few years but layout is a lot of fun so worth a drive. When I used to go there condition wasn't miserable but some areas were spotty. Definitely playable but expect slightly better than muni quality greens and hope you're pleasantly surprised.

Back