• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Did my first Scotland in May; played

Turnberry - 3x (loved it)

Crail Society (great links course by St. Andrew)

Glen Eagles (Ryder Cup Course; great venue but very "American", not links at all)

Kingsbarns (excellent; a must play if you go to Scotland)

Was I disappointed we didn't get on St. Andrews, absolutely. But, overall a bucket list trip....I can't wait to do again.

I’ve been to Scotland twice in May. The courses look so cool because the gorse is flowering then. By British Open time, the flowers are gone.

So, I'm playing in the Charlotte City Am starting Friday and the herniated discs in my back have been flaring up bad. Any body have any golf-specific exercises/stretches/tips to help with this? I may have asked before in the thread. It's a great tournament at 3 different local courses (Cedarwood, Myers Park, Charlotte CC) over 3 days, with cuts after each day.

Also, has anybody played Charlotte and have any tips? I've yet to get on it.

It rates as a "better" course but be prepared to a bunch of approach shots to an elevated green.

I was out at Cedarwood yesterday for something not entirely golf related and it looked like they had just treated the greens. Sounds like you're familiar with it, but #1 and #10 have to be the dullest holes I've ever seen.

MP is in good shape right now. I don't know if you've played it since the renovation, but the new greens are pretty fast now. You need a game plan for #4 if you aren't a wizard with the driver, like 3-wood or long iron. #16 has three bunkers in the landing area to the left, but you definitely don't want to be right either. #18 is vastly improved and you can play down the left side if you're accurate.

So, I'm playing in the Charlotte City Am starting Friday and the herniated discs in my back have been flaring up bad. Any body have any golf-specific exercises/stretches/tips to help with this? I may have asked before in the thread. It's a great tournament at 3 different local courses (Cedarwood, Myers Park, Charlotte CC) over 3 days, with cuts after each day.

Also, has anybody played Charlotte and have any tips? I've yet to get on it.

I have a herniated disc that used to impact my game a lot. Chiropractor and treatment has helped tremendously, I have the Aleve-branded version of the gadget below:

https://www.amazon.com/WiTouch-Pro-...spons&keywords=wireless+tens+back+aleve&psc=1

It's so much easier to use than the TENS devices that have 4 or more individual pads and a bunch of plugs. Once you've triggered a spasm or your back locks up, I've found no amount of stretching really helps. Only gets better with rest, electric stimulation, an adjustment, or deep tissue massage.

It rates as a "better" course but be prepared to a bunch of approach shots to an elevated green.

I was out at Cedarwood yesterday for something not entirely golf related and it looked like they had just treated the greens. Sounds like you're familiar with it, but #1 and #10 have to be the dullest holes I've ever seen.

MP is in good shape right now. I don't know if you've played it since the renovation, but the new greens are pretty fast now. You need a game plan for #4 if you aren't a wizard with the driver, like 3-wood or long iron. #16 has three bunkers in the landing area to the left, but you definitely don't want to be right either. #18 is vastly improved and you can play down the left side if you're accurate.

Yeah, it's weird how 1 and 10 are by far the worst holes at Cedarwood. Otherwise, I like it a lot and Spence did a great job on the redesign. Hope Providence is even better when it opens next week.

The firm bermuda greens have to make MP play at least 2-3 strokes tougher, from my experience. They'll definitely be fast, and I'm assuming the rough will be juicy with the mid-am coming up.

I have a herniated disc that used to impact my game a lot. Chiropractor and treatment has helped tremendously, I have the Aleve-branded version of the gadget below:

https://www.amazon.com/WiTouch-Pro-...spons&keywords=wireless+tens+back+aleve&psc=1

It's so much easier to use than the TENS devices that have 4 or more individual pads and a bunch of plugs. Once you've triggered a spasm or your back locks up, I've found no amount of stretching really helps. Only gets better with rest, electric stimulation, an adjustment, or deep tissue massage.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Probably a dumb question, but do you have it on when you play? Maybe I'll go pick one up at Walgreens at lunch.

Yeah, it's weird how 1 and 10 are by far the worst holes at Cedarwood. Otherwise, I like it a lot and Spence did a great job on the redesign. Hope Providence is even better when it opens next week.

The firm bermuda greens have to make MP play at least 2-3 strokes tougher, from my experience. They'll definitely be fast, and I'm assuming the rough will be juicy with the mid-am coming up.

Mid-Am is at Carolina and Charlotte, not Myers Park.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Probably a dumb question, but do you have it on when you play? Maybe I'll go pick one up at Walgreens at lunch.

Negative, just as a pre or post round treatment. It's packs a surprising punch when it's doing its thing.

Hey TW how’d you play last weekend ? Did you make it through the third round ?

I cleaned up at the pro shop this evening at the end of season sale.

Hey TW how’d you play last weekend ? Did you make it through the third round ?

I cleaned up at the pro shop this evening at the end of season sale.

The front 9 at Cedarwood was a disaster starting with a rope hook out of bounds on 1 that led to a triple, and finished with a 43. Back started to loosen up a bunch on the back 9 (beer helped), and shot 35. Missed advancing to MPCC by 2. Plenty of low scores, but also a ton of high-mid 80s, and low 90s. Looking forward to next year with a hopefully healthy back.

Also, would highly encourage Charlotte folks to check out Providence after the Spence renovation. Was fortunate to play it yesterday the day before it opens, and it was fantastic. They took out 418 trees, made the bunkers 100x better, and the bermuda greens were Quail-like.

Two NC golfers just made the final of the US Mid-Am, being played at Charlotte Country Club (one of whom lives in Charlotte). The Charlotte native knocked off Stewart Hagestad, the 2016 champion, in the semis with a walk-off birdie, pretty cool finish.

Yeah. Everyone’s pulling for Boner. He almost faced his brother-in-law in the quarterfinals.

Two NC golfers just made the final of the US Mid-Am, being played at Charlotte Country Club (one of whom lives in Charlotte). The Charlotte native knocked off Stewart Hagestad, the 2016 champion, in the semis with a walk-off birdie, pretty cool finish.

Hagistad is legit. He was also on this year’s Walker Cup team at LACC. He also had a decent showing at the US Am this year.

The front 9 at Cedarwood was a disaster starting with a rope hook out of bounds on 1 that led to a triple, and finished with a 43. Back started to loosen up a bunch on the back 9 (beer helped), and shot 35. Missed advancing to MPCC by 2. Plenty of low scores, but also a ton of high-mid 80s, and low 90s. Looking forward to next year with a hopefully healthy back.

Also, would highly encourage Charlotte folks to check out Providence after the Spence renovation. Was fortunate to play it yesterday the day before it opens, and it was fantastic. They took out 418 trees, made the bunkers 100x better, and the bermuda greens were Quail-like.

Providence has been awesome since the renovation. I've already played it twice, and I am going to try and play it again tomorrow. The difference in the greens is unbelievable.

Just got back from Scotland, a truly incredible experience. Favorite course was Royal Dornoch; every hole was memorable. Struggled on the first 6 holes with no warm-up in pouring down rain (two fried eggs in bunkers on the two Par 3s and a few back-and-forth putts on the saucer greens) but managed to have a good round. Birdied Foxy. If anyone is headed there in the next year let me know as I have a voucher for one free round. Cullen was my second favorite course and I owe that rec to timdunk. The coolest front 9 I have ever played with some truly breathtaking views. The back was good but had one too many blind shots. Drove the 8th and 16th greens for two-putt birdies. Brora was a fun track and I hit a few balls out of sheep droppings. The combo of animals and rain kept the rough manageable. Great hole variety and beautiful mountain and beach views with rainbows everywhere. Also played a composite New / Jubilee course at St. Andrews in 30mph winds. Extremely difficult. Our balls kept rolling on the exposed greens. I play a fade with my driver and at any hole with left-to-right wind I either hit into gorse or into the adjacent fairway. Cheered the Ryder Cup at Jigger and Dunvegan but we couldn’t get it done.

xeFADPs.jpg

Rocking my Wake beanie at Cullen

The medalist in stroke play was the stud golfer I referenced from my Scotland trip this summer.

The medalist in stroke play was the stud golfer I referenced from my Scotland trip this summer.
Thanks for all of your Scotland advice on this thread. You and timdunk were indirectly very helpful with the planning.

Back