• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Finally getting warm enough to get out and play as much as I like. Ended last golf season playing Cabot Links/Cliffs. Awesome and highly recommend.

Vegas and Scotland golf trips planned this season, plus some day trips to Pinehurst and Eagle Point.

Anyone play #4 since the reno?

Played it 10 days ago. Had been about 10 years since playing the original, so don't remember much, but the redesign is pretty sweet. The greens need about 6-8 more months to grow in, they were still a little spotty.

Finally getting warm enough to get out and play as much as I like. Ended last golf season playing Cabot Links/Cliffs. Awesome and highly recommend.

Vegas and Scotland golf trips planned this season, plus some day trips to Pinehurst and Eagle Point.

Anyone play #4 since the reno?

Some buddies and I played it last weekend of February. Tried to roll the dice and get in at the cheap rate and hope the weather was okay. Weekend before was perfect, weekend we played it was a nightmare. Rained and 40 degrees the entire day. Was pretty miserable. That said, even with awful conditions that were borderline unplayable due to balls just plugging in the fairway and casual water everywhere you could tell the redesign was awesome and has a ton of character. I can't wait to get back out there with good weather and a dry course. Once it grows in to the reno it's going to be awesome.

Played the back nine of #4 right after it reopened. It doesn't feel as different as I expected but I've always liked the course so it was still all good.

Tomorrow starts the ACC Sports Media & Coaches Outing.

I'm lined up to play:
Sunday- Linville
Monday a.m. - Grandfather Mountain
Monday p.m. - Hounds Ears
Tuesday a.m. - Elk River
Tuesday p.m. - Linville Ridge

Hope I dont have a repeat of my Grandfather Mountain (104) performance last year.

Tomorrow starts the ACC Sports Media & Coaches Outing.

I'm lined up to play:
Sunday- Linville
Monday a.m. - Grandfather Mountain
Monday p.m. - Hounds Ears
Tuesday a.m. - Elk River
Tuesday p.m. - Linville Ridge

Hope I dont have a repeat of my Grandfather Mountain (104) performance last year.

How do you rank them? I love Linville Ridge and think Grandfather is a little overrated but still good.

So losing 65 lbs has a dramatic affect on your golf swing. Besides finding another 10+ mph in club head speed, I have no idea where the fuck the ball is going anymore.

Yeah, I've found that too (but only lost ~30). Guess the weight shifts a lot differently and throws off timing. Or maybe there's more room for the arms to get on the wrong path. Or both.

How do you rank them? I love Linville Ridge and think Grandfather is a little overrated but still good.

This year-

1: Linville Ridge
2: Elk River
3: Grandfather Mountain
4: Linville
5: Hound Ears

I had my friend film one of my shots at Linville Ridge, mostly because of the backdrop. The results were pretty cool:

https://youtu.be/0EjpAivX2U4

Last edited:
Any recommendations on Ocean City, MD area courses?

I'm prettyyy much set on Lighthouse and Rum Pointe based on what I've seen... anything else worth noting in either MD or Delaware? I'm hoping to walk, but looks like those courses aren't particularly walker friendly.

Any recommendations on Ocean City, MD area courses?

I'm prettyyy much set on Lighthouse and Rum Pointe based on what I've seen... anything else worth noting in either MD or Delaware? I'm hoping to walk, but looks like those courses aren't particularly walker friendly.

This is my wheelhouse. For a challenge, Bayside is always in very good shape. That is probably my top recommendation. The Glen Riddle course (Man O War) is okay. Bear Trap Dunes is very fun, but pretty easy. It has 27 holes which is nice to get in some extra holes.

Not sure where you are coming from but Queenstown Harbor (River course) is a good track also I pretty good shape. Might be a little far from OC, but Baywood Greens is a ton of fun and kept meticulously.

This is my wheelhouse. For a challenge, Bayside is always in very good shape. That is probably my top recommendation. The Glen Riddle course (Man O War) is okay. Bear Trap Dunes is very fun, but pretty easy. It has 27 holes which is nice to get in some extra holes.

Not sure where you are coming from but Queenstown Harbor (River course) is a good track also I pretty good shape. Might be a little far from OC, but Baywood Greens is a ton of fun and kept meticulously.

Sweet.

Looks like the only availability of your options within distance for me is Bear Trap Dunes. Would you put that third behind Lighthouse and Rum Pointe? I haven't actually booked yet, so I can still choose. Which two would you pick out of those three?

Sweet.

Looks like the only availability of your options within distance for me is Bear Trap Dunes. Would you put that third behind Lighthouse and Rum Pointe? I haven't actually booked yet, so I can still choose. Which two would you pick out of those three?

Definitely Lighthouse No. 1. Lighthouse and Rum Pointe are kind of similar. Rum Pointe is a decently challenging Dye course. If you wanted to take it easy on yourself a bit, choose Bear Trap as a No. 2. Otherwise, I would do Rum Pointe. You really can't go wrong. I've been a member at Bear Trap for like 20 years, so I'm trying to be objective. I love the place, but you will get better views and a more challenging experience at Rum Pointe.

Back