• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

It's been awhile since it got plowed under but I used to love playing Grandview. They had a great money game on Fridays.

The par 4 at Grandview where the green was like 100 feet above the fairway was hilarious. I also think you only hit like a 6 iron or something off the tee. Definitely a fun course, though. We drove the carts across the road to the gas station for beer a couple times.

Quick question. Heading to OIB in August with my parents. I already have the courses picked out we are playing, but should I book online or just call the clubhouse? Is there even an option any more?

The par 4 at Grandview where the green was like 100 feet above the fairway was hilarious. I also think you only hit like a 6 iron or something off the tee. Definitely a fun course, though. We drove the carts across the road to the gas station for beer a couple times.

That was #2. Anything longer than 200 yards brought OB into play.

And crossing the road for beer on 14 is a find memory for me as well.

Definitely Lighthouse No. 1. Lighthouse and Rum Pointe are kind of similar. Rum Pointe is a decently challenging Dye course. If you wanted to take it easy on yourself a bit, choose Bear Trap as a No. 2. Otherwise, I would do Rum Pointe. You really can't go wrong. I've been a member at Bear Trap for like 20 years, so I'm trying to be objective. I love the place, but you will get better views and a more challenging experience at Rum Pointe.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I actually enjoyed Rum Pointe more than Lighthouse. Thought it was a better interpretation of links-style than Lighthouse, which just happened to be by water vs incorporating some links elements into the design. Some of the spaces between holes was so massive it felt kind of disconnected and unwalkable in spots, a negative for me. There were some great views for sure.

Also play was much slower at Lighthouse.

My impression was that Rum has been smoothed out a bit, as some greens had the more typical Dye features (significant undulation and large shaved collection areas) but others were more muted.

Holes No.6-8 at Rum were the best stretch between the two courses IMO although No.4 and No.5 at Lighthouse are definitely challenging greens with a cool backdrop.

Enjoyed my day at both!

not much to add but i've recently started playing again after about a 10 year hiatus and damn I'm hooked in again

Have a day off later this month and going to play somewhere in Winston. Thoughts on the below? I'd prefer to play somewhere I haven't played before.

Meadowlands - Have played before
Salem Glen
Tanglewood Championship

Have a day off later this month and going to play somewhere in Winston. Thoughts on the below? I'd prefer to play somewhere I haven't played before.

Salem Glen
Tanglewood Championship

I play at Meadowlands a few times a week. Greens are in pretty decent shape. Fairways are perfect. They're recovering from poana issues their last GK got them into but I was pretty impressed last week. 2 months ago the greens were so bad they were almost unplayable.

Tell me about golf in Charlotte. I've played Ballantyne (enjoyed it) and a couple other super shitty public courses.

The Muni courses are pretty bad. If you live in town you pretty much have to join a club if you want to play with any regularity without having to drive to the outside of I-485.

The Ballantyne Resort public course is pretty decent but they're talking about turning it into more office buidings and apartments.

Ther's pretty decent value at the clubs and courses to the south of I-485 and in surrounding counties.

Charlotte, Carolina, and Myers Park are all Don Ross tracks, as well as part of Mooresville. Gaston CC has a nice Maples course.

Best public courses I used to play regularly were Fort Mill and Springfield Golf Clubs across the border in Fort Mill. Providence CC is getting re-rated after an awesome Chris Spence renovation last year, and I'm excited to see where it lands.

Salem Glen
Tanglewood Championship

Salem glen is usually in good shape, not a bad track for the price, same with Tanglewood but it can be more crowded sometimes. Have you ever played Oak Valley? I tend to prefer it over Salem glen most of the time.

I've played Oak Valley. It's a possibility as well although I figure I'll hit all of them up the next few months.

I did a driver fitting to replace my Cleveland Launcher 460 from 2003ish and oh my god why didn't I do this years ago? Either going M6 or Epic Flash but the carry was consistently 25 yards longer. Club face on both felt like a trampoline vs. my launcher.

Anyone ever play Old Soldiers in DC?

I could walk there from my house now, membership is cheap, only 9 homes, I assume it’s not great.

Honestly, I had never heard of it until I randomly drove past it a few months ago while trying to avoid traffic. I'm sure it's a dump but it's such a pain in the ass to play golf in DC that I would join anywhere I could walk to. I think Langston is a little underrated. Always in terrible shape but the back nine is a decent layout once you get past the deathtrap of a 10th hole (it hugs/wraps around the short range).

I did a driver fitting to replace my Cleveland Launcher 460 from 2003ish and oh my god why didn't I do this years ago? Either going M6 or Epic Flash but the carry was consistently 25 yards longer. Club face on both felt like a trampoline vs. my launcher.

New driver technology is a game changer. I did it last year and have the rogue, it's been great for me. Hard to chalk out that 4-500 bucks more than once a decade though!

New driver tech is a game changer. For Callaway, it began with the Epic. Sounds like it was the same with Taylormade and the M line of drivers. I miss hit a drive pretty badly yesterday and it still wound up 240.

Back