• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Had a blast this weekend at Pinehurst, so much so that my dad wants to make it an annual tradition on Father's Day. The brewery was awesome with above average BBQ, really good beers, and live music. The entire vibe during U.S. Open week down there was different and cool. The Cradle was packed, so we saved that for next year, but spent a couple hours on the Thistle Dhu putting course. The drink holders on every hole were well utilized.

I forgot how much I loved #8, and it's still cemented as my favorite Pinehurst course. Helps that I shot 73 and didn't make a putt longer than 5 feet all day. Could have been one of my better rounds ever, but the putter wouldn't cooperate.

I have mixed feelings about #4. I really liked what they did with the renovation, and the course was in incredible shape. But we went with carts and no fore-caddie, which was a big mistake. Had no clue where to hit on some holes. Also, they don't have pin sheets, or even multi-colored flags, so you kind of have no idea where the pins are other than what the rangefinder tells you. Had a pretty solid round going from the tips, but hit in in the road on 17 for a double. Will definitely walk the course with a caddie next time.

My drive on #4 at Pine Knolls yesterday. It's only 303 yards from the tips so nothing too impressive, but you can only play what's in front of you.

IMG-1790.jpg

I did. First time carding a 2 on that hole. I almost chipped in two weeks ago but it hit the stick and bounced an inch or so off to the side.

Fun night playing the work golf league last night. Managed to score about the same as my last round, but felt like my overall ball striking was much worse. As a beginner-level player, the inconsistency can make things tough.

Played Hound Ears (How is it not called Hound's Ear?) in the NC Mountains this past weekend. Short course, but fun. In good shape.

Playing Governor's Club tomorrow for the first time. Anyone been out there recently?

I'm heading to Glade Springs up in WVa for 5 days next week. Anyone played up there?

No, RTJ on Lake Manassas here in the DC area where they've held some President's Cups and the Tiger tourney. Just an incredible facility, short game area alone is bonkers. Although I did almost talk my friends into an RTJ golf trail trip a couple years ago and was bummed that we couldn't make it work. Have heard nothing but good things about the value and quality of courses.

My friend asked me to play RTJ Landsdowne on Monday and I got excited thinking it was this course. Course still looks solid though.

Just shot 40-33 at University of Maryland today. If I hadn’t of teed off at 7:14 am after a long night it couldn’t been a really special round. Six birdies in the last 11 holes.

I made 8 birdies on the championship course at Tanglewood yesterday and still barely broke par. Psycho scorecard.

Yesterday was birdies early and beers late = 35-41
My best in a good while. But could have been better. Missed a few short putts.

My friend asked me to play RTJ Landsdowne on Monday and I got excited thinking it was this course. Course still looks solid though.

Just shot 40-33 at University of Maryland today. If I hadn’t of teed off at 7:14 am after a long night it couldn’t been a really special round. Six birdies in the last 11 holes.

Lansdowne's 2 full courses are polar opposites. RTJ2 is the original parkland course, solid but a little quirky. The Norman course has water everywhere and a much more modern feel. Also has a par 5 that can play 680 yards...

Both are fun but the Norman course is a lot more difficult and gets most of the attention.

Had a great intro lesson / swing analysis yesterday - worked on stance, address, alignment, and changed the grip up a little bit - had a big impact just over the course of an hour. Really looking forward to practicing some of the things we worked on in hopes of improving my game.

Just re-activated my country club membership after having it on hold for several years - I was being a little more fiscally responsible while putting two kids through college out of state... Now I am back! Maybe now I can figure out what country club casual means... Played a few holes last night and the greens were so choice!
I am excited to play a lot more...

Humble brag post coming up...

I have made it to the championship of my club's Match Play tournament. 128 guys started, NCAA tournament style, 2 left. Here is where I need some strategy/psychological help: I am a 6. The guy I am playing is a 21. He shoots 88-93 every time, but its always with two or three blow up holes. He actually makes a lot of pars. I make VERY few birdies. I make 12-13 pars with the rest tap in bogeys. I am not long off the tee, but VERY straight. Great short game. So I don't really know how to approach playing this guy.

Play your game. It’s worked to this point. Make a lot of pars, make him match you.

Play your game. It’s worked to this point. Make a lot of pars, make him match you.

Unfortunately he gives up a stroke on every hole. Just go out there and try to make 4-5 birdies and see what happens. Also, make a 21 putt out everything lol

Humble brag post coming up...

I have made it to the championship of my club's Match Play tournament. 128 guys started, NCAA tournament style, 2 left. Here is where I need some strategy/psychological help: I am a 6. The guy I am playing is a 21. He shoots 88-93 every time, but its always with two or three blow up holes. He actually makes a lot of pars. I make VERY few birdies. I make 12-13 pars with the rest tap in bogeys. I am not long off the tee, but VERY straight. Great short game. So I don't really know how to approach playing this guy.

You never try to adjust to your opponent - just play your game. You know you'll win his blow up holes. Just make a ton of pars and you'll have a great chance to win. A good short game can drive a match play opponent nuts - you think you're going to win a hole and then they get up and down for the win or tie. Do that enough times and your opponent will lose his mind.

Back