• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

The rest of my Scotland trip (not that anyone really cares...) We stayed at the Old Course hotel in St. Andrews. We got to do some walking around the village and it is pretty much perfect. Lots of pubs, restaurants, etc. - some old ruins, lots of old buildings, etc. Everything just feels as you would expect it to feel - old, with a focus on golf.

We went down and played the Balcomie links at Crail. I believe the Crail Golfing Society is one of the oldest golf clubs in the world. Great location right on the water with some spectacular views. The course is short, with 6 par 3s and a par of 69. It is old and quirky and a lot of fun. Three of the par 3s are no joke - well over 200yds, uphill, etc. And there are a couple of long par 4s, with some short ones thrown in as well. I didn't play well as I was still coming down off my high from the Old course. But we had a lot of fun there.

The next day we went over to Kingsbarns. Kingsbarns is awesome and has a more modern, American feel to it. The greens are faster, etc. The course is dramatic and beautiful. There is one par 5 that is modeled after 18 at Pebble and curls around the rocky coast in a beautiful arc. I was even par after 8 and then all hell broke loose with the weather. The temperature dropped, the wind picked up and the rain came in.... The back 9 was pretty miserable. I had a bad caddie that day as well. All in all I didn't leave there with a great feeling. But the course is no doubt one of the best - I would like to go back in good weather. The clubhouse had a drying room - a room where you can put your shoes, rain gear, etc. to dry off - it is warm with air blowing, etc... very cool concept in that kind of weather.

Our final day was at Carnoustie. Carnoustie has a reputation as one of the hardest Open venues. Two of us played it back one set of tees from the rest of the group - so we played it at about 6900 yards, instead of 6500. (We played short tees all week because of (i) the wind and weather and (ii) our group includes some pretty poor golfers. We had good weather this day - still quite windy and challenging but no rain and actually a little sun. The greens at Carnoustie are a touch faster than most of the others, they are a bit more receptive, and they are generally pretty flat. I didn't have a caddy this day but one of the other caddies told me on the first hole - "don't over-read the greens, there are a lot of straight putts". Even with this advice I went on to miss at least 3 12-15 footers with lip-outs due to reading more break than there was...
I hit the ball really well this last day and managed my way around the course pretty well - I got sucked into a couple of the famous Carnoustie bunkers, including a fairway bunker or two - which are pretty much automatic one-stroke penalties - and made a few bogies. Then, 14 plays as a par 5 from the back tees and, as it was downwind, I got on in two and made about a 12 footer (got a caddy to read it for me - straight in!) for eagle. I was then only 1 over. Then I bogeyed 15, a really long par 4, bogeyed 16 (hardest par 3 in the world?), and came to 17 3 over. 17 was playing straight into the wind - I laid up too far back from the burn and had 240 in - I promptly hit that into a bunker near the green - where I had to hit out sideways. I hit a good long chip to a back pin but lipped out the bogey putt for double - ugh!
18 was downwind and a hit a pretty good drive down the left side but got an unlucky bounce dead left into the back side of a big hump in deep rough. I chopped it out to lay up short of the burn near the green but the darn thing rolled 30 yards into the burn. From there I dropped and made a another double. Double ugh!

I was disappointed in the finish but came away from Carnoustie loving the course. It is really hard but largely only punishes bad shots. There is a fine line between a good shot and a bad shot, but as long as you are on the right side of the line you will be rewarded. They have a beautiful, modern clubhouse where you can use high-end golf simulators to warm up.

awesome. thanks for the heads up.

I text my bud that works there:

"Are meadowlands greens still in bad shape"

"No, great shape. Just slow cause the weather has been hot. 6 and 11 have some spots that will need to be plugged but in all they’re in great shape. I wouldn’t bother for a couple weeks"

There ya have it

I text my bud that works there:

"Are meadowlands greens still in bad shape"

"No, great shape. Just slow cause the weather has been hot. 6 and 11 have some spots that will need to be plugged but in all they’re in great shape. I wouldn’t bother for a couple weeks"

There ya have it

Excellent. Mobile pos rep for the extra info. Thanks

Greens were decent at the Meadowlands. You could tell there were some areas that needed some work recently but fine overall.

Greens were decent at the Meadowlands. You could tell there were some areas that needed some work recently but fine overall.

Nice, let me know if you ever want to head out there and play a round. If my friend is working, we can go off for free.99. Grew up in Wallburg so it's always been my home course

Had a humbling experience in our club championship today... Ugh. Haven't played a competitive round in a long, long time and the nerves took a toll. Not sure what inspired me to sign up for the scratch flight. I'm not in last place after the first day but I am not far off. Our course in is the best shape ever - the greens are absolute lightning! I hope I can redeem myself a little tomorrow...

Beat the second best player (+2 handicap) in our match play club championship yesterday. Went to 22 holes. I was nursing a serious hangover and holes 17-22 were probably the worst nerves I've ever had on a golf course. Really didn't help when the dude hit it in the water on the 21st hole, but made a 50 foot bomb for par to extend the match. Solid par on a tough par 3 for the victory. On to the semis.

Slept in a hotel bed onFriday night and messed my back up before playing at Chapel Hill on Saturday morning.

I can barely walk now, but that course is in good shape. Not really long, a little narrow WRT OB in a few places.

Beat the second best player (+2 handicap) in our match play club championship yesterday. Went to 22 holes. I was nursing a serious hangover and holes 17-22 were probably the worst nerves I've ever had on a golf course. Really didn't help when the dude hit it in the water on the 21st hole, but made a 50 foot bomb for par to extend the match. Solid par on a tough par 3 for the victory. On to the semis.

Congrats, that's great. We have our Member/Member tourney next weekend. One of our courses has been closed for six weeks while the fairways were being re-seeded to 007 bentgrass, but is re-opening for the event. Looking forward to getting back out there.

If you had to pick 1, Grandover East or West?

Also, anyone ever play The Cardinal by Pete Dye in Greensboro?

I played there in a high school match years ago. Cant remember if it was before or after the renovation. Never been on Grandover.

Cardinal (or Sedgefield Dye, now) is great. I think I actually may prefer it to Sedgefield Ross.

Whoa, that may be the first time I've ever heard that sentiment expressed. Only played Sedgefield Dye once, but it seemed very narrow and had too many spots where you seemed to be hitting off of bare lies in the fairway. It does have some fun (or scary, depending on how you are hitting it that day) par 3's, however.

Had the Member/Member this weekend and came in second in my flight because my partner sucked ass. It was a great time with great weather though.

2019 was by far my most fun/interesting golf year. Played in a Member/Guest down at the Dye Preserve in March. 20 guy trip down to Kiawah Island for three days and played the Ocean Course twice. Kohler trip for my bday and played Erin Hills, Whistling Straits and all of the other Kohler courses in July - perfect time of year for that trip. Played Pikewood in Morgantown, WV a couple of weeks ago. Pikewood is a primo top 40 that was the nicest conditioned course I have ever played (with amazing mountain views to boot). End of this week, headed to Long Island to play National Golf Links and The Bridge. Weather might be a little dicey, but I have lucked out so far.

Oh and I dropped 4 strokes on my index. Can't wait for 2020.

Off to Myrtle on Saturday for an eight straighter.
Myrtlewood, ArcadianShores, Willbrook Plantation, Prestwick, Long Bay, Arrowhead, Pine Lakes and TPC on the Agenda.
Stoked.

I'm not to the level that a lot of posters here are. I'm a 16-17. But I've gotta share.

Over the last two years, I've had a little bit more free time to play. I wasn't shaving a ton of strokes off (I'm typically between 88-91), but I developed a ton of consistency that was absent in the past.

I've been playing with the same driver for going on 12 years, and I had notice that I wasn't really hitting it as far as I would like. So I bought a Callaway Rogue 9 degree (stiff shaft). I hit a few at the shop, but the rep said that it was adjustable, so just tweak it here and there if I struggled with it.

I took it to the range and hit about 80 balls trying to dial it in and just couldn't get it to go anywhere. The next week, I paired up with a pro to try to get it working right, but after fooling with it for an hour, I still couldn't get the desired ball flight to get anywhere close to where the FT-5 is/was. I played two rounds on back to back days and I hit maybe one drive past the senior tees. It was just so fucking frustrating. What was so remarkable is how hard it was to recover from those bad drives; I had over 110 on both of those cards. The club felt so...clumpy? Like there was a lead weight in the toe that would drag me around.

After that, I felt like I had given the Rogue a fair shake and put it back in the shop. My FT-5 brought me an 85 today on my first round back with an actual drive. I've got the confidence to go back on the hunt. I'm thinking about spending a day at Dick's or something to just try a shitload of different drivers.

Any advice/direction?

Yeah, find someplace with a real driving range and get fitted for your driver.

Back