• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Had the Member/Member this weekend and came in second in my flight because my partner sucked ass. It was a great time with great weather though.

2019 was by far my most fun/interesting golf year. Played in a Member/Guest down at the Dye Preserve in March. 20 guy trip down to Kiawah Island for three days and played the Ocean Course twice. Kohler trip for my bday and played Erin Hills, Whistling Straits and all of the other Kohler courses in July - perfect time of year for that trip. Played Pikewood in Morgantown, WV a couple of weeks ago. Pikewood is a primo top 40 that was the nicest conditioned course I have ever played (with amazing mountain views to boot). End of this week, headed to Long Island to play National Golf Links and The Bridge. Weather might be a little dicey, but I have lucked out so far.

Oh and I dropped 4 strokes on my index. Can't wait for 2020.

Thats awesome. Who is your connection up there? More importantly do you need a 4th?

Busy year of golf, probably played more this year than any in the past.

Of note, played Eagle Point and the Ocean Course, as well as a golf trip to Scotland, playing Carnasty, Kingsbarns, and North Berwick among some others.

Already have a trip lined up for next year to play Erin Hills and all of the Kohler courses.

Thats awesome. Who is your connection up there? More importantly do you need a 4th?

I met an assistant pro in FL who works there in the summer and invited me up. We had to cancel the trip for this week, because it was calling for 45 mph winds and 2" of rain. But the guy invited me to come back in the spring. I was super bummed to cancel, but the pro was very cool about it. I figure you only get like one or two shots at a course like that.

Thats fantastic. Its crazy the connections people can make. The more golf you play, the more connections. Met a group from LACC while in Scotland. Hoping to turn that into a round on the North Course at some point.

Like I said, if you need a 4th when you reschedule in the spring, Im there for you. Thats what fraternity brothers are for...

took off a few days last week and got after it, playing 4 rounds in 3 days.

Oak Hollow
Tanglewood Championship
Grandover West
Meadowlands

Oak Hollow is solid for a city-run public course. Tanglewood Championship was fine, I definitely wouldn't pay their weekend rates though. Grandover West was super fun. Meadowlands always solid.

took off a few days last week and got after it, playing 4 rounds in 3 days.

Oak Hollow
Tanglewood Championship
Grandover West
Meadowlands

Oak Hollow is solid for a city-run public course. Tanglewood Championship was fine, I definitely wouldn't pay their weekend rates though. Grandover West was super fun. Meadowlands always solid.

Nice. I hate Oak Hollow with everything in me. I could be scratching at every course in the 336 then play Oak Hollow and not break 90.

Also, Meadowlands was vandalized twice over the weekend. Looks like someone took a shovel to #12 green on Friday night (attempted to carve out a big penis but didn't finish) then they destroyed the welcome sign on Saturday night.

Nice. I hate Oak Hollow with everything in me. I could be scratching at every course in the 336 then play Oak Hollow and not break 90.

Also, Meadowlands was vandalized twice over the weekend. Looks like someone took a shovel to #12 green on Friday night (attempted to carve out a big penis but didn't finish) then they destroyed the welcome sign on Saturday night.

Class warfare at its finest.

Had a great range practice session this weekend; as a high handicap / beginner-level player it feels really good to develop some consistency with my ballstriking. I've got a LONG way to go, but I've made a ton of progress this year and it feels great.

Tobacco Road is awesome. I can see why it's polarizing but I enjoyed it. Some ridiculous slopes on the greens but pretty fun when they work in your favor. Look forward to playing again at some point.

Need new irons and hybrids and considering getting fitted. Any suggestions, questions to ask, things to avoid? Golf Galaxy any good?

Got a big next few months of golf coming up.

The Concession in a few weeks
Pinehurst # 2 and # 8 the end of March
Scotland (Dornoch, Old, etc end of July)
Too bad I haven't swung a club in a month. Been super rainy.

Big props to LK for planning another fabulous Scotland adventure :)

Got a big next few months of golf coming up.

The Concession in a few weeks
Pinehurst # 2 and # 8 the end of March
Scotland (Dornoch, Old, etc end of July)
Too bad I haven't swung a club in a month. Been super rainy.

Big props to LK for planning another fabulous Scotland adventure :)

tenor.gif

So yeah, back to Scotland for the 3rd time in 4 years...

Tain
Brora
Royal Dornoch
Castle Stuart
New
Castle
Jubilee
Crail
*Old - Didn't get on via the advance ballot but everyone is going to stand by and play it at least once.

So yeah, back to Scotland for the 3rd time in 4 years...

Tain
Brora
Royal Dornoch
Castle Stuart
New
Castle
Jubilee
Crail
*Old - Didn't get on via the advance ballot but everyone is going to stand by and play it at least once.

Looks like a great trip. You’re obviously heading up north since Royal Dornoch is on your list. Are Tain and Brora up there as well? I’m not familiar with them. I’ve never been up north but have always wanted to play Dornoch, Cruden Bay, and Nairn.

I hope you get on the Old, but that is long since past one of my requirements for a Scottish golf trip. Once you’ve done it, there are so many other better courses, IMO.

Looks like a great trip. You’re obviously heading up north since Royal Dornoch is on your list. Are Tain and Brora up there as well? I’m not familiar with them. I’ve never been up north but have always wanted to play Dornoch, Cruden Bay, and Nairn.

I hope you get on the Old, but that is long since past one of my requirements for a Scottish golf trip. Once you’ve done it, there are so many other better courses, IMO.

Tain is between Inverness and Dornoch. We are playing it as our stop on arrival day. It's right next door to the Glenmorangie distillery.

Brora is about 15 minutes north of Dornoch.

We have 2 new travelers out of our 8, so getting on the Old for them is pretty important. I agree after this many trips (4 for me and 7 rounds on Old) that it's not a priority, but spending 4 or 5 days in St. A absolutely is a must on every trip for me.

So, I had a real embarrassing experience on the course with a few Deacs yesterday.

I was in the right woods on #16 at Maple Chase, and tried to cut a long iron around a group of trees.

It was not a smart shot, to begin with... but I hooded it directly into the tree I was ~4 feet away from.

I thought I had slipped on a root & torn my ACL/MCL, but the ball mark on my kneecap told (and still tells) a different story. I was down for a couple of minutes.

Golf balls are hard... and, I'm an idiot.

j63I2RD.jpg

Back