• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

The new handicap system is wild. Started the year at a 1.something. Went up to a 4. Couple under par scores recently and I'm back to a 0 (#humblebrag). Of course our member-member was supposed to be when I was a 4, and now looks to be in July.

Our Bermuda greens have been in amazing shape, but I guess they've been so firm that the sup. was worried they would break the aeration machine when they punch them next week. So they verticut them this week to make them softer. Never seen/heard of a pre-punch before. People aren't pleased.

You must be playing either a very easy course (by rating/slope), very short tees, or both.

You must be playing either a very easy course (by rating/slope), very short tees, or both.

Slope is 150, course rating is 76.0. We hosted what was then the Nike Tour Championship is 1995 and 1996, and the GA Amatuer last July, among other events. It’s a fairly challenging golf course. I am playing shorter tees now than I used to play.

Yeah my parents live in Ansley and we were social members briefly. I’m the only golfer in my family but when Ansley bought/joined Settindown I used to go out there whenever I could. Granted it was early in my golf days but I thought it was an incredible course. As someone who grew up with a yearly goal of saving enough money to join the Atlanta public courses (grew up near Bobby Jones, which I’m dying to see after the renovation) it was a revelation of what golf could be.

That really goes back to the convenience of the club affecting whether it's cost effective to join a club. If you live near Ansley and are a member there, why would you want to drive all the way out to Roswell to play golf ? Same goes with PDC buying the old Lakeside Country Club out on Camp Creek Parkway. I used to think it was a long way between the Cherokee facilities in Buckhead and Sandy Springs, but that's taking it to a whole new level.

That really goes back to the convenience of the club affecting whether it's cost effective to join a club. If you live near Ansley and are a member there, why would you want to drive all the way out to Roswell to play golf ? Same goes with PDC buying the old Lakeside Country Club out on Camp Creek Parkway. I used to think it was a long way between the Cherokee facilities in Buckhead and Sandy Springs, but that's taking it to a whole new level.

Because Ansley is a nine hole course and Settindown is one of Golf Digest's Top Ten courses in GA. That doesn't mean I'd make the drive from downtown to Roswell every time. But it's certainly why I'd do it at least every now and then.

Sure, but would you want to pay $50K or whatever to join Ansley and belong to a course that you have to take a halfday off from work to play every now and then and then drive home half sauced for 40 minutes ? If you live in Alpharetta it makes plenty of sense though.

Compared to country club options in DC that sounds like a dream scenario.

Sure, but would you want to pay $50K or whatever to join Ansley and belong to a course that you have to take a halfday off from work to play every now and then and then drive home half sauced for 40 minutes ? If you live in Alpharetta it makes plenty of sense though.

Good point. I'm glad I live in Alpharetta (at least for golf purposes :D)

Any of the high-level competitive players here have any advice for managing your mind, your nerves, and your game in a tournament? I used to be able to play up to my ability in competition, years ago, but having been away from it for a long time I find my game falling apart under the slightest pressure. I'm talking club tournaments - nothing big.
My only thought is to try and play in more tournaments so I get used to it, but so far that isn't helping.
This past weekend I played OK (not good, mind you, but OK) one day but literally shot 12+ shots worse than my index on the second day. How does that even happen?

Being in better shape can be helpful. 36 holes a day can take a toll on an old guy's body, even if you're riding in a cart and not drinking too much. Also, breathe through your eyelids.

I think a few things that have helped me with pressure and nerves are 1) focusing on only my score and 2) putting the match into perspective.

Growing up (high school, college, etc.) I think my weakness was caring too much about my opponents score. Now, I try to not even watch my opponent other than confirming their score for the hole. Obviously this is different for stroke play and match play, but I really try to only focus on my individual game when possible.

Another thing that helped me was realizing the pinnacle of my career will be the club championship or a saturday match play for 50.00 a hole. Neither one of those are important in the grande scheme of things. Sure, they're fun to win, but neither is life altering if I lose. So what is there to be nervous about? End of the day, I go home to my wife and dog and drink a beer or a glass of wine. Not a bad outcome despite if I make that 4 footer or not. I really just try to focus on the individual shot in front of me, rather than the negative repercussions on if I miss. I feel like thats something I recently grew out of, especially with putting. I feared 3-6 footers more than welcomed them, simply because I was scared to miss. It might sound silly, but now I approach them with a "Tiger" mentality. I always want to putt first and bury it before my opponent. Idk, hope that helps.

Any of the high-level competitive players here have any advice for managing your mind, your nerves, and your game in a tournament? I used to be able to play up to my ability in competition, years ago, but having been away from it for a long time I find my game falling apart under the slightest pressure. I'm talking club tournaments - nothing big.
My only thought is to try and play in more tournaments so I get used to it, but so far that isn't helping.
This past weekend I played OK (not good, mind you, but OK) one day but literally shot 12+ shots worse than my index on the second day. How does that even happen?

Weed.

Slope is 150, course rating is 76.0. We hosted what was then the Nike Tour Championship is 1995 and 1996, and the GA Amatuer last July, among other events. It’s a fairly challenging golf course. I am playing shorter tees now than I used to play.
That is the slope/rating from the tips. Your index:course handicap sounds right from the blue tees (137/70.2)

This has probably been brought up before, but is anybody playing Vice balls ? I lost a brand new $4 ProV1X on the first tee a couple of weeks ago and I'm still pissed about it. The Vice deal of 5 dozen for $125 is half what Titleist balls cost.

This has probably been brought up before, but is anybody playing Vice balls ? I lost a brand new $4 ProV1X on the first tee a couple of weeks ago and I'm still pissed about it. The Vice deal of 5 dozen for $125 is half what Titleist balls cost.

If you have a higher swing speed, you can go through the covers pretty quick with a couple wedges. Solid balls though.

Back