• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

clearly our advice helped!!
congrats!!

HaHa - yea, I did a much better job of taking each shot one at a time and not letting the last shot bother me. I did not hit the ball well on Sunday and missed a ton of greens but my misses weren't terrible and I just kept grinding and made par after par - I only had 27 putts.

I'm a bit apprehensive to share this at the risk of getting flamed, but yesterday was a big breakthrough for me personally.

Played 9 with some friends last night and shot a 49 w/ 2 FIR and 1 GIR. I know a lot of you guys would quit with a score like that, but I've been chasing it for a long time. Made enough good shots to keep my ball in play and like scooter just focused on one shot at a time. Really hoping this is the start of gaining some momentum on improvement!

Not at all lcd. Keep playing. Our course was backed up yesterday from an earlier event and I was playing with my daughter who hits it all over the place. It was raining a little bit and I lost a ball ten feet off the fairway in the rough in what felt like an overly long bogey fest. Wound up shooting a 45 in about 1:50. As I put that score in the system this morning I noticed that my index had gone down a stroke a week before the member-guest, which kind of sucks, but will slightly lessen the cries of "SANDBAGGER !" when I kick everyone's ass next week.

Not at all lcd. Keep playing. Our course was backed up yesterday from an earlier event and I was playing with my daughter who hits it all over the place. It was raining a little bit and I lost a ball ten feet off the fairway in the rough in what felt like an overly long bogey fest. Wound up shooting a 45 in about 1:50. As I put that score in the system this morning I noticed that my index had gone down a stroke a week before the member-guest, which kind of sucks, but will slightly lessen the cries of "SANDBAGGER !" when I kick everyone's ass next week.

Maple Chase?

If so, I think they are doing low index for the year.

Maple Chase?

If so, I think they are doing low index for the year.

It's low index for the year for sure. I've gone from a +1.5 to 2.0 this year due to lack of playing and was actually glad to hear I won't catch a heap of shit for playing off a 2. Its the highest my handicap has been since I was a freshman in high school.

Yeah our member-member was supposed to start today and is doing that too. Some serious grumbling from old dudes who suck but had a couple good rounds drop them to like an 8 last fall when really they should be a 13.

Of course it also means I have to play to like a +1.9 after a rogue 67 in June from the tips (very high slope/rating) tanked my handicap. Really should be more like a 0-1. Yes, humblebrag.

Yeah our member-member was supposed to start today and is doing that too. Some serious grumbling from old dudes who suck but had a couple good rounds drop them to like an 8 last fall when really they should be a 13.

Of course it also means I have to play to like a +1.9 after a rogue 67 in June from the tips (very high slope/rating) tanked my handicap. Really should be more like a 0-1. Yes, humblebrag.

That's the main fault in the handicap system - one great round drops it like a rock but then it takes a ton of mediocre rounds to bring it back up.

A team in our flight with two 3-4 handicappers shot -5 gross, -7 net in alternate shot to win yesterday on a tough set up. Pretty incredible feat. For reference, they shot +3 the first day in a Texas Scramble, a much easier format.

We played pretty damn well to shoot 73 (+1) with a triple after my partner shanked one into the water on 15. The other scores in the championship flight were mostly 77-79. 67 is incredible, and I wish we would have been playing with them to get to see it.

Glad this storm will be gone by tomorrow. #Humblebrag headed to Pinehurst and playing:

Dormie

Nothing more to add just very very excited.

The PGA of America sponsors a national club championship where they invite the club champions of every club in America that has a PGA pro. They do this for men's, women's and senior club champions. The tournament is next March and is in Pinehurst - we get to play #2, #6 and #8. I have played #2 before but it will be cool to do so under tournament conditions. I have never played 6 or 8. I am quite stoked! It was pretty pricey but I figured this will likely be the only chance I get to play in something like this... I think they do a competitive round on the Cradle one day too!

Nice, that's very cool. Never heard of that before (never won our club championship!). Enjoy #8. I think it's my favorite layout of any of the Pinehurst tracks. Lacks the history/Ross style, but Fazio crushed it with that one.

The PGA of America sponsors a national club championship where they invite the club champions of every club in America that has a PGA pro. They do this for men's, women's and senior club champions. The tournament is next March and is in Pinehurst - we get to play #2, #6 and #8. I have played #2 before but it will be cool to do so under tournament conditions. I have never played 6 or 8. I am quite stoked! It was pretty pricey but I figured this will likely be the only chance I get to play in something like this... I think they do a competitive round on the Cradle one day too!

No. 2 in tournament conditions is a BEAR. We played it during the Women's North/South am this summer. The greens were super slick and pin positions were absurd. The caddies said they had never seen those pins before. They were placed right on the edge of a slope, so your ball would roll 20 feet off the ground if it was 3 inches past the hole. When I posted the score, my USGA noted that scores that day were one stroke harder than normal. For me, it was more like 10 strokes harder. Sounds like a ton of fun for you though. Congrats again on the championship.

No. 2 in tournament conditions is a BEAR. We played it during the Women's North/South am this summer. The greens were super slick and pin positions were absurd. The caddies said they had never seen those pins before. They were placed right on the edge of a slope, so your ball would roll 20 feet off the ground if it was 3 inches past the hole. When I posted the score, my USGA noted that scores that day were one stroke harder than normal. For me, it was more like 10 strokes harder. Sounds like a ton of fun for you though. Congrats again on the championship.

Played #2 in the final day of the North/South Junior back in the day. We played it from the same tees as the pros at that point. I've never had a good short game for my handicap, but that day, somehow, I only hit 8 greens and shot 74 (we played par 72). Of course my HS teammate shot 68 or 69 and won the whole thing. Was pretty incredible.

I'ver never had more fun on a golf course than playing well in a big tournament on #2. Just such a rewarding feeling to execute under pressure there. We played a number of competitive rounds over the years on #2, and not that you asked for any advice but one thing that really helped was specifically requesting caddies that were good with legit tournament support. For the first few times we just got assigned some randoms and it was ok, then we got a caddie who was just flat out awful and almost had to kick him off the course halfway through. Following year we talked to the dude in the caddie shack ahead of time and got assigned a couple of really solid guys, definitely helped us out and made the whole experience even more fun.

Geez, you guys got game. I'm a 14 and most days feel quite fortunate I'm there.
Just confirmed Big Cedar Loge (Ozarks) in May. Sure hope the rona is gone by then.

Glad this storm will be gone by tomorrow. #Humblebrag headed to Pinehurst and playing:

Dormie

Nothing more to add just very very excited.

Awesome weekend in Pinehurst. Started off with #4 on Friday, walking with push carts and a forecaddie. Really good time out there, hit the ball like garbage but still a great day. 15-18 is a helluva finishing stretch of holes.

Saturday Dormie Club. If you haven't played out there get a time next time you are in the area. My first Coore-Crenshaw experience and it was a one of the best courses I've played to date. Really nice land movement and each hole seemed to just have a great look to it. Lots of construction with cottages and the new clubhouse getting built. I like it more minimalist.

Sunday #2. Poured rain right before we started and then for holes 2-5, which is a shame cause it made it hard to really enjoy them for all they offer. After that is cleared and we had a blast. Dropped two birdies in a row on 12 and 13. 13 I hit front of green but it landed in its own ball mark instead of rolling off the front. I then dropped a 50 foot bomb for birdie. Jameson was the birdie juice of choice for the day. Played the back in 41 which is pretty solid for a 15 handicapper like myself.

Outside of golf spent some time in the village and spent a ton of $$$ in the pro shop. A great weekend all around.

I'm probably going to end up spamming other threads on the board with this, but does anybody know how I can contact StonevilleIcedTea?

I'm 99% sure that he's worked with the merchandise shop at ANGC & I'm wrapped up in a situation where I've placed an order through the Masters (special 2020 online) Patron Shop.

My order, which included stuff for other posters here, arrived Friday without a packing list, and was missing half of the stuff that I've paid for.

I didn't go overboard... But, I'm not allowed to place any more orders & I have no way of disputing (or, partially disputing) this charge.

Last edited:
Club fitting question: if your putter is heel up/toe down and you want to level it, do you need a flatter lie angle?

I’ve changed my putting setup and my lie angle is now out of whack.

Does anyone use a Scotty Cameron putter? Do you notice a difference? Thinking about making the switch.

Back