• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Ever since the Scotty I had used since HS got stolen like 7 years ago I've tinkered with several other blades, mallets, and then my wife got me an engraved Scotty as a wedding gift (knew she was a keeper). It's a Newport 2.5 similar to my old Studio Stainless, but I don't putt near as well with it.

Long story short, Scotty Camerons are cool but probably the most overrated piece of golf equipment you could ever buy. You might find a $40 used putter you prefer after a few rounds. My buddy on tour has used the same cheap Odyssey 2-ball his whole career, despite being sponsored by Titleist and having 20+ Scottys.

Ever since the Scotty I had used since HS got stolen like 7 years ago I've tinkered with several other blades, mallets, and then my wife got me an engraved Scotty as a wedding gift (knew she was a keeper). It's a Newport 2.5 similar to my old Studio Stainless, but I don't putt near as well with it.

Long story short, Scotty Camerons are cool but probably the most overrated piece of golf equipment you could ever buy. You might find a $40 used putter you prefer after a few rounds. My buddy on tour has used the same cheap Odyssey 2-ball his whole career, despite being sponsored by Titleist and having 20+ Scottys.

Putters are super personal. Find one you like, that makes you feel comfortable looking down at it, that you find easy to get on line, etc. - I have only used like 3 putters over the past almost 50 years of golf - but some guys change all the time. Like most things with golf, it is all in the stroke/swing, not the putter/club.

Edited to add: I do actually use a Scotty Circa 62 Model 6 - I have used it for maybe the last 8 years? I used an original Ping Anser for almost 30 years.

Edited to correct the model number, as if anyone cares. And I have putted like crap the last 3-4 rounds. I hit the ball great on Friday but missed 5-6 putts of less than 10 feet - half due to bad strokes, half due to poor green reading and resultant uncertainty. Ugh!

Last edited:
For every good player I know that has a Scotty and loves it, I know 5 more that have one for the status and beauty of it and putt terribly.

I'm convinced that for 90% of the golfing world who pick up their clubs only once or twice a month, using a 2 ball or a Spider should be a given. Instant improvement for virtually everyone in that group that I've seen make the switch.

For every good player I know that has a Scotty and loves it, I know 5 more that have one for the status and beauty of it and putt terribly.

I'm convinced that for 90% of the golfing world who pick up their clubs only once or twice a month, using a 2 ball or a Spider should be a given. Instant improvement for virtually everyone in that group that I've seen make the switch.

I admittedly am one of the five. I use a Scotty Cameron studio design 2.5 and I suck shit at putting

Agreed; putters are as personal as it gets in golf. I have a Scotty Newport 2.5; love it but some days I putt real well, other days not so much. And after 30 years it’s awfully nicked and they want like $300 to refurbish. Not going to happen.

To echo your point - I'm an infrequent golfer. Used the Scotty Futura X for a number of years. But about a year ago I switched to a two ball. It's solid.. Don't see me making a change any time soon

Last edited:
Funny thing is it's not just amateurs and infrequent players. Look at Dustin Johnson. He's tried to switch away from that Spider about 7 times now to a handful of Anser-style putters. Gets worse every time, switches back, wins a big tournament. He had two consecutive tournaments where he missed one putt at 5' or closer with it, 104 made of 105 putts. And yet something nags at him to switch. The focus on analytics in pro sports these days is chipping away at stuff like that but there's still plenty of examples out there.

I'm playing Pine Needles at Pinehurst a week from today. Gonna be a touch different than my normal cow pasture course. Any advice?

I'm playing Pine Needles at Pinehurst a week from today. Gonna be a touch different than my normal cow pasture course. Any advice?

Leave your approaches below the hole (but not too far on the back pins....I 3-putted multiple times from 40+ feet last week when I was on the front of the green putting to a back pin). Don't try to fly your approach hole high on #2, that green slopes away from you and the ball won't hold. Don't be afraid to use your putter from off the green, even if you are staring at a 3-4 foot climb up to the green. Pray that they choose a different pin location on #9 (back left, nearly off the green) than what they had last Thursday. :thumbsup:

(I got in 36 holes one day last week there, it was awesome).

Trying to reschedule a trip to Bandon for June that I had to cancel this year. All on site lodging is booked through September. Anybody go and stay off site? I know the rounds are more expensive, but I’m curious how inconvenient it will be to stay in town.

Whenever you think you can hit the green on #1 take one less club and try to be just short, left or right you can make any number. Same on 18 to a lesser degree. Take an extra club on every par 3 even though three of the four are downhill. Any time you are around the green and think "can I putt this?" putt it. You can ground the club in all bunkers so do it. If you are going to hit a bad drive do it on #17 because I have friends that live driver distance out on the left and right and I love getting the "some fucker just hit my house" texts. If you are going to hit an absurdly bad drive don't do it left on #10 because my nieces play outside all day.

You staying there? Staying at both MidPines or Pine Needles is a treat, and so much less expensive than Pinehurst.

You staying there? Staying at both MidPines or Pine Needles is a treat, and so much less expensive than Pinehurst.

Just driving down for the day. My brother and I are taking our dad there as a Christmas present.

Back