• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I'm playing Pine Needles at Pinehurst a week from today. Gonna be a touch different than my normal cow pasture course. Any advice?

Awesome, you'll love it. The least walking friendly of the three - Needles, Mid Pines and Southern Pines - but still doable if that matters to you. Greens can be tricky, want to leave as many uphill putts/chips as possible. Short is often the best miss. Enjoy it, hope you get good weather! Don't miss Mid Pines if you have time.

That was a beautiful yet difficult golf course. Thanks for all the advice.

Picked up a new Scotty Cameron putter yesterday. When I replace my 3-wood this spring I will have completely overhauled my bag in a 5-year period.

My last two rounds have been 2 under in cold, wet, and windy conditions. No clue where this is coming from, as I didn't play that great in the fall, normally suck in the winter, and haven't been practicing at all. My handicap is now the lowest it's ever been, and there's no way I'll be able to play enough bad rounds to get it back up before spring tournament season. Serious #firstworldproblems.

My last two rounds have been 2 under in cold, wet, and windy conditions. No clue where this is coming from, as I didn't play that great in the fall, normally suck in the winter, and haven't been practicing at all. My handicap is now the lowest it's ever been, and there's no way I'll be able to play enough bad rounds to get it back up before spring tournament season. Serious #firstworldproblems.

Do what I do -- get drunk while you play.

I had back-to-back rounds in the 60's last January that I pretty much didn't duplicate again for the next 12 months, even with playing more once COVID hit. That gave me a low 12-month index that was hard to live up to all spring and summer (especially now that the handicap system is based on your best 8 out of 10 scores, not 10 out of 20).

"Choosing" a different strategy this winter, haven't broken 75 since mid-November.......getting kind of old not being able to put two good nines together...:noidea:

Bump. Anyone going to Kiawah for the PGA? 10,000 fans per day. Wife got us Wannamaker Club passes as an epic anniversary present (she's a keeper), but that was scrapped due to COVID so we have weekly grounds passes now. Given the crazy high prices I'm seeing on the secondary market and the lack of lodging options/absurd rates, we're looking at selling and taking a pretty epic vacation somewhere instead. Is this dumb? I've never sold tickets before online - should I try to sell the entire weekly passes or break up the individual tickets?

Won a tournament out at Medowlands over the weekend. 4 man best ball, count one gross one net per hole. We shot -12 on the front with two chip ins and three monster putts, then -4 on the back.

Bump. Anyone going to Kiawah for the PGA? 10,000 fans per day. Wife got us Wannamaker Club passes as an epic anniversary present (she's a keeper), but that was scrapped due to COVID so we have weekly grounds passes now. Given the crazy high prices I'm seeing on the secondary market and the lack of lodging options/absurd rates, we're looking at selling and taking a pretty epic vacation somewhere instead. Is this dumb? I've never sold tickets before online - should I try to sell the entire weekly passes or break up the individual tickets?

Normally I would have seriously considered it but it's only a couple of weeks after the Wells Fargo and the coordination part of that tournament is obviously challenging, so I'm sitting it out even though I could probably crash with some friends nearby. I know they've had big events there before, but I don't know how well that course sets up for viewing.

Won a tournament out at Medowlands over the weekend. 4 man best ball, count one gross one net per hole. We shot -12 on the front with two chip ins and three monster putts, then -4 on the back.

Weird. My team also shot -16 and won our tournament on Saturday in the exact same format. -6 and -10. Played the last 2 holes -5. Good weekend for the thread!

Picked up a new Scotty Cameron putter yesterday. When I replace my 3-wood this spring I will have completely overhauled my bag in a 5-year period.

Headed the other way. Had a nice Newport 2 but didn't feel as confident as I wanted inside of 8 feet. Going to the Odyssey 7 this year. Bought the new Epic Speed driver too. LOVE that thing. Can already tell I've added distance from the original Epic.

Last edited:
Headed the other way. Had a nice Newport but didn't feel as confident as I wanted inside of 8 feet. Going to the Odyssey 7 this year. Bought the new Epic Speed driver too. LOVE that thing. Can already tell I've added distance from the original Epic.

You realize that the pros only make 50% of their 8-foot putts, right ? What they're good at is getting their first putt close enough that there's minimal chance of a three-putt.

Not dumb. In 2012 when it was there it took people almost 4 hours to get from the ocean course off the island Sunday night after it wrapped up.

You realize that the pros only make 50% of their 8-foot putts, right ? What they're good at is getting their first putt close enough that there's minimal chance of a three-putt.

Maybe I should have said inside 5 feet. The mallet style head just feels like it will be a more consistent stroke. The blade is way too easy to pull (for me). Half of the damn pros use a mallet putter. I should know that I could use all of the help I can get.

I'm going to buy the new Mizuno 921 forged irons. Should I just buy them off the showroom floor or get fitted for custom shafts?

I'm going to buy the new Mizuno 921 forged irons. Should I just buy them off the showroom floor or get fitted for custom shafts?

Get fitted. Typically won't cost anything, there are a solid amount of no/minimal upcharge shaft options these days, and you can see if you're flat/upright as well.

Back