• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Kicking off the year by doing the Club Champion thing. Driver was last week, irons this week. Was extremely impressed by the dizzying array of shaft and clubheads to choose from. I've gone through a few fittings before, typically with OEMs or stores/clubs with a fitting station. While certainly better than going in blind, they never have all the flexes available in all the shaft weights, never have all the custom/upcharge shafts to try, and you typically can't try the same exact shaft in heads from different OEMs. Usually went something like - "ok, those results are looking pretty good but this is the stiff flex, we'll order it in x-flex and that'll cut the spin down..." etc. Then it arrives and doesn't feel at all like the demo. Also nice that they are just 100% outcome focused. Kind of infuriating when club fitters start commenting on swing mechanics.

That being said, not sure I'd spend the money or effort for them if you don't play that much or you're not pretty knowledgable about equipment. Helps to have some kind of roadmap ahead of time or you'll have to hit 300 balls before you find a fit.

Oh, and for those 921 Forged, be sure to try the ProjectX LZ's in them if you can. Excellent combo, seems extremely popular across a wide variety of players.

Starting out my season by meeting up with some high school friends at oak island. Playing Oak Island, Thistle, and Bald Head Island Club. Pumped to get back at it. Minimal expectations

Planning a golf trip this summer to the Upper Peninsula. Playing Forest Dunes and Arcadia Bluffs (outside shot at Crystal Downs, we will see how that pans out). Also, should be playing Oakmont this spring to check off the books as well. Have a Member Guest in FL in a couple of weeks and mine is in June. Looking forward to the next few months!

I know they've had big events there before, but I don't know how well that course sets up for viewing.

I went multiple tournament days for the PGA down there in 2012 and it wasn't the best fan experience IMO. Difficult getting on/off the island and like you said, very few great viewing areas. I don't have any interest in going back for this year. (Although, I love the course and am excited about watching the coverage.)

I went multiple tournament days for the PGA down there in 2012 and it wasn't the best fan experience IMO. Difficult getting on/off the island and like you said, very few great viewing areas. I don't have any interest in going back for this year. (Although, I love the course and am excited about watching the coverage.)

We had tix for the Monday practice round - figured I could just visit my kids for the weekend and stay over and go down and check out the course. But we were notified that they couldn't fulfill our tix because of the limits so we are supposed to get a refund. Probably just as well...

I “played” for the first time in 18 months today. I’ve probably played 54 holes in the last 5 years.

It was a lot of fun but I probably only hit from the tee box 4 out of the 9 holes we played. I can’t hit a driver to save my life.

We were the last tee time of the day and had the freedom to just practice situational golf.

It was absolutely awful.

Not that anyone likely cares, but I hit just about every iron and shaft combo imaginable and still ended up in the Mizzy 921 Forged, replacing my 2017 900 Forged. Surprisingly landed on a shaft I'd never heard of before, let alone seen - the Accra Steel 125. Did some reading up on them and one of the reviews pointed out that the flex profile is particularly well suited for vertical swings that are a little over the top, which is exactly my swing type, so that was reassuring.

I generally hate getting fitted indoors on a swing monitor, but we'll see I guess. Unfortunately backordered so I have to wait a month...

I want the 921 forged as well but have no idea which shafts I need. Never done an iron fitting before. Blah

I want the 921 forged as well but have no idea which shafts I need. Never done an iron fitting before. Blah

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think fittings are a gimmick. Unless you are a really low handicap, it probably wont make much difference. I think people swing way different in a fitting than they would on the course.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think fittings are a gimmick. Unless you are a really low handicap, it probably wont make much difference. I think people swing way different in a fitting than they would on the course.

I'm not sure gimmick is the right word, but there's definitely something to be said for not overthinking fittings when you're new to golf or simply don't play that much. My brother-in-law is not a good golfer but got really into it and did a fitting at some random golf store. They put him into a set of ultra game-improvement shovels, said he was so tall he needed +1" shafts with jumbo grips. Bent them to like 5 degrees upright with x-flex shafts since he's pretty athletic and generates good swing speed. We played like 6 months after he'd gotten his clubs and he could barely hit the club face. I'm the same height so I let him hit my far more normal clubs, he hit them great. It's like when I see a horrible putter using some $500 Scotty blade instead of just a $50 2-ball that would cut 8 strokes off their game.

I'm not sure gimmick is the right word, but there's definitely something to be said for not overthinking fittings when you're new to golf or simply don't play that much. My brother-in-law is not a good golfer but got really into it and did a fitting at some random golf store. They put him into a set of ultra game-improvement shovels, said he was so tall he needed +1" shafts with jumbo grips. Bent them to like 5 degrees upright with x-flex shafts since he's pretty athletic and generates good swing speed. We played like 6 months after he'd gotten his clubs and he could barely hit the club face. I'm the same height so I let him hit my far more normal clubs, he hit them great. It's like when I see a horrible putter using some $500 Scotty blade instead of just a $50 2-ball that would cut 8 strokes off their game.

Yeah, I see your point. I think part of the issue is how often does the average golfer give a true 100% effort swing on a perfectly flat surface? They try and sell you on a specific shaft that is a little less "spinny" or an x-stiff or whatever. 99% of people can't tell the difference once they are on the course. I'm not saying there is zero benefit, but if you're not a good ball striker, then iron fittings aren't going to make a difference. If you shoot 90 because you 3 put too often, then you don't need a different shaft in your clubs, you need to quit 3 putting.

My driver is about 290 and I hit a baby draw
I didnt grow until college so my short game is immaculate, its all I practiced from age 10-18

I hit probably 5/18 GIR because I suck ass with irons. My game is getting up and down from greenside lie for par, and making birdie on par 5s. Will bogey 3-4 holes where I dont get up and down.

Where does that leave me on getting fitted? lol

lol don’t change drivers. Do you always miss the same way with irons or is it sporadic?

If you make 3-4 bogeys from not getting up and down and a few birdies, are you shooting around even par? If so, I'd say you qualify for fitted irons lol

Not to get too specific, but anyone play the new D grind of the Vokey SM8s? My wedges are 2.5 years old, and just picked up a couple demos. After a handful of shots, they seem sweet - seem to promote a little lower, more driving ball flight (I need this bad) and are nice to look at upon address. Thinking 12 degrees of bounce on the 56 and 8 on the 60. Make sense?

I was there Saturday when a thunderstorm rolled through and they had to clear the course. Total shit show.

Not to get too specific, but anyone play the new D grind of the Vokey SM8s? My wedges are 2.5 years old, and just picked up a couple demos. After a handful of shots, they seem sweet - seem to promote a little lower, more driving ball flight (I need this bad) and are nice to look at upon address. Thinking 12 degrees of bounce on the 56 and 8 on the 60. Make sense?

I thought they felt really heavy. That’s obviously intentional, but I didn’t like it.

Back