• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Funny, hated the SIM but the SIM2 just crushed it numbers-wise. On-course results are awesome so far.

Side note, the number of college players already going claw and/or armlock is staggering.

Walked 9 last night with 2 buddies - first outing of the year and it was really nice to get out! Looking forward to making it a regular occurrence this year.

Does anyone have tips for 'how to practice' at the driving range? I'm a beginner level player who is still struggling with consistent ball striking so when I go to the range my goal is to try to just make consistent hits. I tend to leave the club face open on contact so I'm also working on getting the club face square at impact. My typical driving range routine is something like this:

~10 balls with P to warm up
~10 balls with 9
~30 balls with 7
~10 balls with 5 and 6 iron
~10 balls with hybrids
~10 with driver

I can't really justify why I hit in that pattern, other than that's what I've been doing. Wondering if any of you better players have suggestions for a more efficient routine for someone just trying to hit more consistently.

Definitely warm up with a wedge or short iron but you might want to mix up your progression more to simulate going from a long club to a short club like you will on the course. Pro told me not to hit more than 5 or 6 consecutive shots with the same club unless you're working on something specific with that club.

Choose a target. Know your distances.

Just went down this rabbit hole earlier today. Seems like you'd want to find a big wig with a private jet to join in on the trip. 2 flights to Halifax and then a 4 hour drive is no bueno. I guess you could probably do some other cool stuff on the way to break it up.

Yeah, but I don't think the drive bothers me on the way, will be an adventure. The day leaving sucks, but oh well. It's worth the travel if you go stay for 4 nights IMO (obviously haven't been yet)

Does anyone have tips for 'how to practice' at the driving range? I'm a beginner level player who is still struggling with consistent ball striking so when I go to the range my goal is to try to just make consistent hits. I tend to leave the club face open on contact so I'm also working on getting the club face square at impact. My typical driving range routine is something like this:

~10 balls with P to warm up
~10 balls with 9
~30 balls with 7
~10 balls with 5 and 6 iron
~10 balls with hybrids
~10 with driver

I can't really justify why I hit in that pattern, other than that's what I've been doing. Wondering if any of you better players have suggestions for a more efficient routine for someone just trying to hit more consistently.

By no means an expert, but if you are a beginner and just looking for solid contact, don't worry about what club you are hitting. Hit a ton of wedges and work on the contact. Then maybe an 8-9i, then maybe longer etc. If you're just worried about the contact I wouldn't go switching clubs every few shots. Now if you are more wanting to simulate the course, hit different shots then yes

The biggest answer here is to spend at least 50% of your time working on shots from 100 yards and in - wedges, pitches, chips, and putting. So many beginners & high handicappers just crank through buckets of balls with mid irons and woods they might hit 25-30 times a round vs. the 50+ shots they'll have inside 100 yards.

Practice your routine. Don't just mindlessly swat at balls.step off after each shot and visualize the next one.

And I'll echo the short game stuff. I spend 75% of my practice chipping and putting and hitting little half wedges.

Maple Chase is significantly better than Salem Glen.

Yes they allow walking.

About 330/mo for a family membership. Excellent practice facilities. Great competition. Food min is 180/quarter, but the owner also owns Quanto Basta and Spring House restaurants, so the quality of food at the club is outstanding.

I moved to Greensboro in the fall and joined Cardinal and miss Maple Chase every day.

Yes they allow walking.

About 330/mo for a family membership. Excellent practice facilities. Great competition. Food min is 180/quarter, but the owner also owns Quanto Basta and Spring House restaurants, so the quality of food at the club is outstanding.

I moved to Greensboro in the fall and joined Cardinal and miss Maple Chase every day.

Can confirm it's a great club with a great group of members. Terrific and a well maintained Ellis Maples design. Couple quirky holes on the back that I don't love. But overall a great course. Would recommend checking out it. If I lived in Winston I'd be a member there

Can confirm it's a great club with a great group of members. Terrific and a well maintained Ellis Maples design. Couple quirky holes on the back that I don't love. But overall a great course. Would recommend checking out it. If I lived in Winston I'd be a member there

No amount of work will fix 12.

Yes they allow walking.

You loving the McConnell Golf life, LK? Played Sedgefield a few weeks back on a windy day from the tips with the greens running a 12, and damn. Really made me appreciate how much the tour guys tear it apart.

You loving the McConnell Golf life, LK? Played Sedgefield a few weeks back on a windy day from the tips with the greens running a 12, and damn. Really made me appreciate how much the tour guys tear it apart.

I did the Cardinal only membership instead of the full McConnell. 265/mo and I get Cardinal in amazing conditions. Plus they still have bent greens. From the tips it's all the test I could ever want, but I have zero interest in being a tourney golfer the last couple years. Too much kids sports to enjoy.

Most of the Sedgefield sticks come out to Cardinal for a money game I can join whenever I feel like getting my ass kicked.

Yes they allow walking.

How does Maple Chase compare to Bermuda Run?

Not as hard of a course as the Champs at BR. Also bent vs champ Bermuda greens.

I think Champs at BR is a better golf course (same designer), but MC is more fun to play. Kinda the difference between a great tourney course and a member friendly ccourse. That said, the tips at MC are a great test due to the tiny greens.

BR has a trail fee to walk before a certain time on weekends, and costs a bit more but you get access to 2 courses.

I'm admittedly pretty biased. I was a member there for 15 years, served on the board of directors when it was Pinebrook and played a role in brokering the sale to the current owner. One of my best friends was the GM until at summer. And I also won 3 club championships there over the last decade, so I view it as a great place for the price.

Got to play a couple of good courses recently.

Got an invite to play Hope Valley CC in Durham the other day. I have played it before but it has been many years. This is a high quality Donald Ross where B. Nelson won one of this 11 in a row in 1945. Great layout with some elevation change, holes that turn both ways, and HUGE greens that had bermuda surfaces that were as dense and smooth as any I have seen in a long time - and really fast. The greens had classic Ross false fronts and run-offs and some of the pin placements were super tough. We didn't play the back tees but it was still a great test because of those greens. The club is a classic, old, southern, old-money club. I highly recommend it if you can wrangle an invite.

I also played the Duke course at the Washington Duke Inn. I played this course tons of times back in the '80s and '90s but hadn't been there in probably 15 years. It has always been a great layout - and tough. Speaking of greens, I didn't remember the greens being so difficult. They were firm, super fast and had tons of slope - it seems like every green had at least a couple of different levels with major slopes between. It seems like I ended up above the hole all day - which meant I had no chance. It may have been because I wasn't playing well, but I came away feeling like they were as difficult as any greens I have played. This course seems to have a lot of sharp edges - off the edges of many fairways, around the greens, etc. - I prefer more natural looking mounding, but overall this is a great course.

Back