• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

My FIL is retiring next month, he wants to test out golf to see if he’s into it so I’m lending him my clubs for a few months. He lives ~10mins from Tanglewood. Fingers crossed he likes it so I can have a playing partner, unfortunately his friends aren’t into it so it’s an uphill battle.

My FIL is retiring next month, he wants to test out golf to see if he’s into it so I’m lending him my clubs for a few months. He lives ~10mins from Tanglewood. Fingers crossed he likes it so I can have a playing partner, unfortunately his friends aren’t into it so it’s an uphill battle.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but if he's never played before and is taking up the game at 50-60 years old- seems unlikely he'll enjoy it. I'm extremely grateful I took up the game when I was young. It's too hard and frustrating to learn later in life

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but if he's never played before and is taking up the game at 50-60 years old- seems unlikely he'll enjoy it. I'm extremely grateful I took up the game when I was young. It's too hard and frustrating to learn later in life

Update: I still haven't learned this stupid ass game.

My dad took up golf at 50 and now he plays all the time

Think a key to older people getting into it is having people to play with. They need similar skill levels and ages, lifestyles to enjoy it.

Update: I still haven't learned this stupid ass game.

My father played college baseball and was a really good athlete. But I don’t think he ever got below a 12 handicap. And it used to frustrate the shit out of him. I mean, he loved playing golf and it was something we did together until I left home. But it always bothered him that he wasn’t better at it.

It’s a hard game for most of us.

I have played golf (and drank) 5 days in a row. Practice round/dogfight, 3 day member/member, competitive gross charity event. Have not played 5 in a row since high school. I'm a shell of a human right now.

I have played golf (and drank) 5 days in a row. Practice round/dogfight, 3 day member/member, competitive gross charity event. Have not played 5 in a row since high school. I'm a shell of a human right now.

Yeah, I went 18 Wednesday, 45 Thursday, 45 Friday, 45 Saturday, 18 Sunday during my member-guest (going out every night). I have consumed 400 oz of water a day since and slept for 15 hours Monday night.

Think a key to older people getting into it is having people to play with. They need similar skill levels and ages, lifestyles to enjoy it.
If anyone in Winston has a recommendation for a golf pro to give lessons (or a group willing to accept a ~40 handicap) let me know!

Yeah, I went 18 Wednesday, 45 Thursday, 45 Friday, 45 Saturday, 18 Sunday during my member-guest (going out every night). I have consumed 400 oz of water a day since and slept for 15 hours Monday night.

How is this possible? This is the longest member guest in history. A 54 hole member/guest is a lot. 45 holes of tournament golf in a day would also take 13+ hours at my club.

My father played college baseball and was a really good athlete. But I don’t think he ever got below a 12 handicap. And it used to frustrate the shit out of him. I mean, he loved playing golf and it was something we did together until I left home. But it always bothered him that he wasn’t better at it.

It’s a hard game for most of us.

The good thing about knowing you're a shitty golfer is you don't get upset when you play shitty golf.

Here's a would you rather...

Would you rather play with a golfer that averages 120, but plays super fast and is a fun hang (will have a few brews and talk a little shit), or play with a golfer that shoots around 75 but is slow and methodical along with having the personality of a square?

If anyone in Winston has a recommendation for a golf pro to give lessons (or a group willing to accept a ~40 handicap) let me know!

I'm a huge fan of Rodney Morrow, who was previously at Golf Galaxy in Winston. I've heard he's no longer there, so you may have to track him down. I took lessons from him in middle and high school, he was a fantastic instructor. If he retired, then sorry and please ignore.

Would you rather play with a golfer that averages 120, but plays super fast and is a fun hang (will have a few brews and talk a little shit), or play with a golfer that shoots around 75 but is slow and methodical along with having the personality of a square?

This is easy.

Easiest question you could ask. 120 all day every day.

Back