• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Yeah, if it's for fun, I'm taking the hacker all day every day. If it's a competition or there's a bunch of money on the line, then obviously the latter.

How is this possible? This is the longest member guest in history. A 54 hole member/guest is a lot. 45 holes of tournament golf in a day would also take 13+ hours at my club.

Lol definitely want an answer to this. "Hey you want to come play in our member-guest? Fair warning it's 171 holes so you might die."

Here's a would you rather...

Would you rather play with a golfer that averages 120, but plays super fast and is a fun hang (will have a few brews and talk a little shit), or play with a golfer that shoots around 75 but is slow and methodical along with having the personality of a square?

I play both kinds of golf and enjoy them both. I have friends who shoot 90-100 and we have a great time and I have regular games where everyone is shooting 70-75 or so. Very different experiences, both enjoyable. The scratch guys are more methodical per shot but we play fast. There is shit talk, for sure but nobody is playing music or drinking a lot. I certainly play better when I play with the good players.

I go on a golf trip every year where most of the players are not very good - there is music on the course and lots and lots of drinking - and no one is enforcing the strict rules of golf. I have to re-calibrate my expectations as to how I am going to play - but we have a lot of fun.

Per your hypothetical the better golfer sounds boring, but 120 is kind of a lot... I can't pick.

Yeah, if it's for fun, I'm taking the hacker all day every day. If it's a competition or there's a bunch of money on the line, then obviously the latter.

No doubt it definitely depends on other factors. I know for one thing I don't want to be playing a US Open regional qualifier and get stuck with a dude that is so bad you can't focus one bit (didn't some dude shoot like a 160 a few years back in a qualifier?).

I play both kinds of golf and enjoy them both. I have friends who shoot 90-100 and we have a great time and I have regular games where everyone is shooting 70-75 or so. Very different experiences, both enjoyable. The scratch guys are more methodical per shot but we play fast. There is shit talk, for sure but nobody is playing music or drinking a lot. I certainly play better when I play with the good players.

I go on a golf trip every year where most of the players are not very good - there is music on the course and lots and lots of drinking - and no one is enforcing the strict rules of golf. I have to re-calibrate my expectations as to how I am going to play - but we have a lot of fun.

Per your hypothetical the better golfer sounds boring, but 120 is kind of a lot... I can't pick.

Bottom line for me is either one, IF they play fast. Nothing worse than a 120 who takes all day long to play. I have a lot more patience with someone if he is a single digit handicapper.

How is this possible? This is the longest member guest in history. A 54 hole member/guest is a lot. 45 holes of tournament golf in a day would also take 13+ hours at my club.

Member guest is five nine hole matches with three on Friday and two on Saturday. We just found other games once the matches completed and played until dark.

Impressive. I've never heard of anyone playing 45 holes in a day, other than a charity challenge. My body would break.

I walked the back of the Ocean Course yesterday and the front today and I am beat. Gonna stay on the back nine this weekend

Anyone else playing in the Meadowlands member/guest this weekend?

Might make some folks mad this weekend, we'll see. My GHIN index is sitting at a 5.8. I really haven't played much over the last year but turned it on recently with 10 rounds in the last 30 days. Everything started clicking beginning of June.

-1 from the tips on Monday and E from the tips yesterday (both 9 hole practice rounds). I was -1 heading into 9 and had 82 yards out, before blading it long and 3 jacking the putt from 50 ft. My only miscue of the day, and easily correctable. I've actually played with the same ball for 45 straight holes now. It's beat to shit, but a running joke that I have to play it until I lose it at this point.

For me, Meadowlands is actually an easier course from the blacks compared to the blues. Eliminates quite a few misses on certain holes and removes two layup shots off the tee, where I can full swing driver (best club in my bag) instead of hitting hybrid or 3 iron.

Might make some folks mad this weekend, we'll see. My GHIN index is sitting at a 5.8. I really haven't played much over the last year but turned it on recently with 10 rounds in the last 30 days. Everything started clicking beginning of June.

-1 from the tips on Monday and E from the tips yesterday (both 9 hole practice rounds). I was -1 heading into 9 and had 82 yards out, before blading it long and 3 jacking the putt from 50 ft. My only miscue of the day, and easily correctable. I've actually played with the same ball for 45 straight holes now. It's beat to shit, but a running joke that I have to play it until I lose it at this point.

For me, Meadowlands is actually an easier course from the blacks compared to the blues. Eliminates quite a few misses on certain holes and removes two layup shots off the tee, where I can full swing driver (best club in my bag) instead of hitting hybrid or 3 iron.

If everything has been clicking to that level in the last few weeks, how are you possibly still a 5.8? Only 8 scores count and handicaps reset daily vs. 2x monthly. Either way, go get you some $$$.

I ordered a couple new SM8 wedges before Easter that are still not in yet. Simply 1 degree flat with S400 shafts. Golf manufacturer delays are still insane.

If everything has been clicking to that level in the last few weeks, how are you possibly still a 5.8? Only 8 scores count and handicaps reset daily vs. 2x monthly. Either way, go get you some $$$.

I ordered a couple new SM8 wedges before Easter that are still not in yet. Simply 1 degree flat with S400 shafts. Golf manufacturer delays are still insane.

Four of my rounds have been since handicaps locked last weekend. The released flights, handicaps, and tee choices a full 7 days before the tournament.

I used my $150.00 member guest credit on a new Vokey wedge. Supposed to receive it tonight at opening ceremony dinner, but I won't put it in the bag until next week.

The SM8’s are fantastic. Not off brand for Vokey - very traditional and only a evolutionary update, but rock solid.

The SM8’s are fantastic. Not off brand for Vokey - very traditional and only a evolutionary update, but rock solid.

Anyone good on grind/bounce for vokeys?

For reference I use 50/54/58

50-Full shots, and partials, hardly ever around the green. Its my 120-135 club

54-Use this the most. Some full shots, mostly partials, and lots of chipping. 100-120, but use it in various other ways if I want a lower flight or a skipper. Hardly ever use out of sand, but chip around the greens a lot, don't open the face though.

58- Use this on partialish shots, 95 and in usually. Use in the bunkers, and some around the greens when I need to get one up in the air. Use in the rough around the greens also. Tend to hit it bad when I take a full swing and try to get more than 90-95 out of it.

I'm 56 and 60, cant remember my bounce and grind though. I also almost never take a full swing with those clubs or my other two wedges.

I came back down to earth this weekend, but we still went 5-0-0 (9 hole matches) to win our flight.

Of course, I started spraying my driver and couldn't keep the ball in play. Good news is we brother in lawed the hell out of it and were only both out of play twice in the 45 hole span. Lost 4/45 holes all weekend, and 2 of those were after matches were already closed out, just finishing the round for the hell of it.

I carried pretty hard on Friday then my brother (14 handicap) just drug his hog on Saturday. We were all square in our morning Saturday match and he finished birdie birdie with me in my pocket both holes to win 2 up. He then made 3 birdies in our final match. His game is just made for match play. He'll shoot even par on 12-14 holes during a stroke play round then +16 on the other 4-6 holes. Former college athlete that just beats the ball, but loses it OB 25% of the time.

All in all, great weekend. We also got lost in the sauce at the opening ceremonies Thursday night and joined in a $100.00 putt putt contest on the putting green. They had a 6 hole course setup with rocks, bushes, and fishing line marking off out of bounds for each hole. We won that house bet and had a group go double or nothing right before dark, which we also won.

All in all, came away with about $1,600.00 in cash and store credit.

Might be time to go get those Mizuno 921s

Back