• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I came back down to earth this weekend, but we still went 5-0-0 (9 hole matches) to win our flight.

Of course, I started spraying my driver and couldn't keep the ball in play. Good news is we brother in lawed the hell out of it and were only both out of play twice in the 45 hole span. Lost 4/45 holes all weekend, and 2 of those were after matches were already closed out, just finishing the round for the hell of it.

I carried pretty hard on Friday then my brother (14 handicap) just drug his hog on Saturday. We were all square in our morning Saturday match and he finished birdie birdie with me in my pocket both holes to win 2 up. He then made 3 birdies in our final match. His game is just made for match play. He'll shoot even par on 12-14 holes during a stroke play round then +16 on the other 4-6 holes. Former college athlete that just beats the ball, but loses it OB 25% of the time.

All in all, great weekend. We also got lost in the sauce at the opening ceremonies Thursday night and joined in a $100.00 putt putt contest on the putting green. They had a 6 hole course setup with rocks, bushes, and fishing line marking off out of bounds for each hole. We won that house bet and had a group go double or nothing right before dark, which we also won.

All in all, came away with about $1,600.00 in cash and store credit.

Might be time to go get those Mizuno 921s

Hell of a weekend. Sounds like you might get banned.

Lol maybe. I'm actually thinking about joining later this Summer, so they'll probably welcome my monthly donation.

I did indeed make a fitting appointment on Saturday morning for some new irons. Have my mind set on the 921 Forged or 921 Forged Tours, but will take a look at the data and see what it says.

what up I haven't posted in years but I'm back to talk golf.

Screamin, I just got the 921 hot metals and they fucking rule. I'm not as good as you it seems but I've talked to people with the forged who said the shaping ability was incredible

So I didn't get any golf things for Father's Day... Got the email from Taylormade about the custom Spider putters, bought myself a treat. My gamer is a Spider that I whited-out the site line and has been beat to hell over a few years of use. Replacement is a white/black setup, gold dot site, gold accents and Go Deacs etched into the sole. I almost added TJDK to the heel but didn't want to go too overboard.

The SM8’s are fantastic. Not off brand for Vokey - very traditional and only a evolutionary update, but rock solid.

Agree. I got them in the jet black finish. Only thing I've noticed is they feel slightly softer on full shots, and I've had about a 5 yard drop per club. But given that I had my prior wedges for 4 years and haven't adjusted these for lie angle yet, I figure it could just be that.

Got fitted at Kelly’s Golf in Greensboro over the weekend for the 921 Forged’s 👀

Haven't played consistently in years since I had a kid, but hoping to get a LITTLE more play, at least practice soon. Going to be joining River Bend CC up here in NOVA very soon (helps that my son is 4, getting close to the age where he can do a ton of CC activities and stuff)! Also, got myself a 2019 Rogue driver for my birthday to replace my aging SLDR, it's amazing how much more forgiving it is than the SLDR and how much farther it consistently goes. Sure I can still push/pull it, but it's minimized my slice quite a lot and goes much straighter.

Feel a little bad for not having posted this earlier, but a friend of mine sent me a note about that Callaway pick-a-pro thing for the US Open. The ads are all about buying a new Epic driver and if you pick a staffer that won the US Open they reimburse you for it. But as a US Sweepstakes there has to be a no purchase necessary clause, so if you just mailed in a pick you won $600 in Dick's Sporting Goods credit.

I thought I was being aggressive submitting on behalf of 3 other family members and splitting 2 Xander, 2 Rahm. But my friend submitted Rahm on behalf of like 10 family members and friends with like 10% cuts to each. Really loved it when those 2 putts dropped, I have to assume someone at Callaway was pissed.

Oh man, I was just looking at the scoreboard for the Charlotte City AM and my next door neighbor double bogeyed #17 at Pine Lake to basically miss the cut on Day One. Day Two is at Myers Park CC, which is his home course.

Oh man, I was just looking at the scoreboard for the Charlotte City AM and my next door neighbor double bogeyed #17 at Pine Lake to basically miss the cut on Day One. Day Two is at Myers Park CC, which is his home course.

Looks like former Wake golfer Chad Wilfong ended up pulling out the W. Nice win.

Looks like former Wake golfer Chad Wilfong ended up pulling out the W. Nice win.

That was a prior year result, John Eades won this past weekend's Charlotte City Am (but Chad won it back-to-back in 2019 and 2020). And I second LK's comment, the way they revived that event and have it set up these days is pretty awesome, too bad I moved out of Mecklenburg Co. 20+ years ago. :(

Biff, you neighbors with another former champion?

Eades is filthy good. He won the NC Am in a runaway a couple years ago.

It's an incredibly well run event. Was too late to enter this year, unfortunately - have made it to day 2 several times but never survived until the top 24 for the final day. Maybe next year.

A couple of my PCC brethren had really good runs before faltering on day 3 this year.

That was a prior year result, John Eades won this past weekend's Charlotte City Am (but Chad won it back-to-back in 2019 and 2020). And I second LK's comment, the way they revived that event and have it set up these days is pretty awesome, too bad I moved out of Mecklenburg Co. 20+ years ago. :(

Biff, you neighbors with another former champion?

No, my neighbor's never won it, but I know a couple of the guys who have.

Our 2020 club champion went out the first day and shot a 67 at Pine Lake, then showed up at his home course on Saturday to card a fucking 79 and get cut. Johnson Wagner's brother went 68 - 77 and got cut as well.

Anyone in the 336 down to play in the Meadowlands Fall Invitational next Saturday and Sunday? You would need an active GHIN handicap. My partner had a baby show up two weeks early so his wife shut down his participation this morning.

I'm playing as a 3.6 if anyone is close to that and wants to play.

Just broke down and after 25 years replaced my beat up Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 putter with a new one. Interesting; my old putter had 10 gram bottom weights but the new putter has 30g weights. Called Titlest and it seems the new design warranted a heavier weight. Feels heavy to me and the only alternative is to send it back and they will insert a 20 weights…for $79.95.

Just broke down and after 25 years replaced my beat up Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 putter with a new one. Interesting; my old putter had 10 gram bottom weights but the new putter has 30g weights. Called Titlest and it seems the new design warranted a heavier weight. Feels heavy to me and the only alternative is to send it back and they will insert a 20 weights…for $79.95.

You can buy a wrench and weights for cheaper than and do it yourself

Was my thought as well but weights for the new models are not available for sale (yet) unless you send the putter in.

End of the story; despite Titleist telling me their nonsense, I, by chance, looked at Amazon and boom.....weights and keys available, $20.
Changed to 15g weights and now perfecto. Lesson learned; check Amazon first.

Back