• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I have a basement full of putters. About a year ago, I bought an Odyssey White Ice Teron. I'm definitely putting better with it than I was with my blade. I still occasionally go back to my old Bullseye.

Enjoy! My dad started me playing golf 45 years ago and some of my fondest memories of him are times we spent together on the golf course. Dad passed away in January of this year, which makes this the first spring he and I won't be on the golf course together since I was 10 years old.

Enjoy! My dad started me playing golf 45 years ago and some of my fondest memories of him are times we spent together on the golf course. Dad passed away in January of this year, which makes this the first spring he and I won't be on the golf course together since I was 10 years old.

That's a nice story. My dad stopped playing golf before I was born. My father-in-law introduced me to the game about 3-4 years ago. I hope to play with my kids one day.

Teeing it up at Charlotte Golf Links at 4:30. Assuming the wind is down (which it never is), I think I may go 60's today boys. Feeling good.

Gotta build up some PTO, so I can start taking some weekday half days. These rainy weekends have got me jonesin.

Did you get fit for the belly? Been on the putter hunt for a while after being a Cameron Newport2 guy for a long time. Bagged a few mallets but could never really click with one the way I did a blade style putter. Grabbed the putter Haas uses to try out the belly craze, Scotty Kombi mid, worked with it a lot in the off-season but on the course this year it's been disappointing.

I was frustrated enough to borrow a putter from a buddy of mine who is really particular about putters. Has a cameraon blackout newport, a tour-only ghost manta, a couple very rare bettinardi custom jobs, etc. He ended up with a SeeMore One CS Belly - and it is ridiculous. I made more putts on the front 9 when I borrowed it than I had the 10 rounds before that. (7 one putts, 3 over 20 feet).

But clearly one of the reasons I liked it so much is because it was 2 degrees upright and center-shafted, perfect for a more vertical stance and straight-back-straight-through stroke like mine. I'd heard of putter fitting but never really put much stock into it... For a belly I think it's far more important - very different than a standard putter where you really just roll a bunch and pick a head/setup/length that fits you.

Anyway, hopefully it works out, but if it doesn't don't give up on the belly. Until it's banned (as it probably should be) it really is a great method of putting for anyone who can get used to the feel and doesn't have time to spend 2 hours a day putting.

Didn't get fitted for the belly, but used one of the pro's at our course - Taylor Made with a god-awful looking head, lengthened to 45 inches, which I really liked. Really liked the feel of it - just such a simple motion to me. I am a feel player, and that is a tough thing to bring into putting, particularly when you are only a weekend (and occasional weekday) player. I have always thought the belly/brooms should be illegal. I believed that even more after using this belly putter for 18 holes. That being said, agree with LK that those won't be illegal for us amateurs for at least a decade, if then. And, I don't think they can outlaw them now - USGA/R&A waited too long and missed the boat there. Can't beat 'em, join 'em.

What's everyone's best round? It doesn't matter if you've been playing for a year or your entire life, everyone's best score is a point of personal pride and obviously everyone remembers how they were feeling as they were playing it and right after.

My personal best is a 70. I've never broken par before but have come close on multiple occasions only to have my putter fail me. I shot the 70 at Old Town and according to my dad would have been "clearly under par at a muni". I had 3 birdies, 3 bogies and 12 pars. I knocked a 6-iron on 18 to about 10 feet to shoot a 69 and come in under par, but it lipped out. Shot 34-36.

My lowest score on 9 holes is a 33 on OTC's front side, I birdied 2 and 8 and parred the other 7 holes. I'm sure some of you guys have a lot better scores than that (LK, Tigerswood,etc.) so let's hear 'em!

Sounds like I'm about as good (ur bad) as deacfreak. Thinking about taking a couple lessons... any general tips from you guys on how not to suck?

What's everyone's best round? It doesn't matter if you've been playing for a year or your entire life, everyone's best score is a point of personal pride and obviously everyone remembers how they were feeling as they were playing it and right after.

My personal best is a 70. I've never broken par before but have come close on multiple occasions only to have my putter fail me. I shot the 70 at Old Town and according to my dad would have been "clearly under par at a muni". I had 3 birdies, 3 bogies and 12 pars. I knocked a 6-iron on 18 to about 10 feet to shoot a 69 and come in under par, but it lipped out. Shot 34-36.

My lowest score on 9 holes is a 33 on OTC's front side, I birdied 2 and 8 and parred the other 7 holes. I'm sure some of you guys have a lot better scores than that (LK, Tigerswood,etc.) so let's hear 'em!

68 - 7 times on 3 different courses. Again, the putter has kept me from going lower than that in the past. Shot 31 on the front once in a high school match. Backed it up with a 42. Crazy game.

67 at North Ridge in Raleigh. Best tournament round was 68 at Bryan Park Championship Course in Greensboro.

Sounds like I'm about as good (ur bad) as deacfreak. Thinking about taking a couple lessons... any general tips from you guys on how not to suck?

General tips. Feel like you're only swinging 80% at the ball. Swinging harder will get you into trouble. Make sure you are lined up at your target. Make sure you follow through at that target. If you are committed to lowering your scores, spend 75% of your practice time hitting shots/putts inside 100 yds.

Didn't get fitted for the belly, but used one of the pro's at our course - Taylor Made with a god-awful looking head, lengthened to 45 inches, which I really liked. Really liked the feel of it - just such a simple motion to me. I am a feel player, and that is a tough thing to bring into putting, particularly when you are only a weekend (and occasional weekday) player. I have always thought the belly/brooms should be illegal. I believed that even more after using this belly putter for 18 holes. That being said, agree with LK that those won't be illegal for us amateurs for at least a decade, if then. And, I don't think they can outlaw them now - USGA/R&A waited too long and missed the boat there. Can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Sounds a lot like my experience. Hopefully the one you got will be a great fit for you - but figured it'd be worth sharing my experience. I was really impressed with the SeeMore guys - awesome company and the website lets you customize their putters more than most. Their milled putters feel like a Cameron.

For whatever reason I'm a monte putter... possibly my extensive putt putt experience. I'm sure that will go away once I improve the areas of my game.

i'm putting the best i ever have with a bobby grace straight shafted putter. for some reason i'm putting much much better with a straight putter shaft v. the heeled shaft. knock on wood. i'll enjoy it while it lasts.

91 at Greendale in Alexandria VA.

I'm feeling scores in the mid-high 80s this year though (I was shooting in 105-110s a year ago, now I'm consistently in the mid 90s), my swing has changed almost completely since last July and it's many times more effective/repeatable than it was then. I'm getting very good results. Need to practice putting more though. My short game, despite not getting a TON of practice, has easily been the best part aspect of my game recently.

I have had a few lessons. They are helpful. I would have broken 100 a few times if I could leave bad shots behind and not let them snowball.

My never ending struggle is my slice. For whatever reason, I have struggled getting my hands to turn over and close the club face. I got a weighted club recently to try to groove it better. I sometimes slice and sometimes block shots right. I have only seen a draw off my clubs 20-30 times ever at the range. I have gotten some of my clubs to hit a fade which seems like my natural shape. I had a lesson with the pro at Golf Galaxy, Rodney Monroe IIRC, and it really helped my driver. Lately I have been blocking a lot of my irons right and even some wedges.

I am at the point right now where I have the tools, but they never seem to show up all together tee to green on the same day.

I've had 33s on both of my club's nines. My best round ever is a two under 70. Our 18th hole is a short par 5 (510 yds) but there is a creek fronting the green. When I shot my 70, I was one under standing in the 18th fairway. I went for it with a 5-wood from about 220 and hit it over the back of the green, chipped down to about four feet and made the putt. My playing partners thought I was nuts for not hitting wedge wedge and making sure I made 5 to finish -1.

When I posted my score, the computer popped up a message that said "Are you sure?"

Back