• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Just had maybe my most enjoyable day of golf ever. Two rounds at the Tanglewood Par 3, 200 range balls, 20-30 bunker shots, 40-50 practice chips for $19. Great day.

Spiffylube

Do you have a pre-shot routine? If you watch pros they'll do their pre-shot on the range.

Just had maybe my most enjoyable day of golf ever. Two rounds at the Tanglewood Par 3, 200 range balls, 20-30 bunker shots, 40-50 practice chips for $19. Great day.

Enjoy the callous's (callous'?). My unsolicited two cents, hit fewer balls and hit more chips/bunker shots. Just dump half a bucket around the chipping area and try to get every shot within 5-6 feet. That way you aren't hitting the same shot every time. It's a little harder to do with bunker shots, just have a rake next to you. Also, at Tanglewood you gotta try to fire a few drives at players on the Reynolds course from the range.

Fired a 77 today. Went 39-38 from the Blue tees that play about 6700. Hit my drives pretty well but had some slip-ups on the green. Overall I'm pretty excited about how my game is coming together. A bit brisk today as well in Winston.

Spiffylube

Do you have a pre-shot routine? If you watch pros they'll do their pre-shot on the range.

I definitely don't on the range. I tend to hit balls really quickly, guess I should work on that and hit less balls (or just hit slower). On the course, it's a practice swing or 2, then normal setup. Something to work on at the range this week before another round next weekend (or late 9 after work ths week sometime).

Enjoy the callous's (callous'?). My unsolicited two cents, hit fewer balls and hit more chips/bunker shots. Just dump half a bucket around the chipping area and try to get every shot within 5-6 feet. That way you aren't hitting the same shot every time. It's a little harder to do with bunker shots, just have a rake next to you. Also, at Tanglewood you gotta try to fire a few drives at players on the Reynolds course from the range.

I definitely switched up clubs. I just got a new driver which I am trying to figure out, and I was working on my hybrid a little today. So other than that, I never hit more than 7 consecutive shots with the same club.

Btw, the greens there were the worst I have ever seen anywhere, but I really needed to work on my accuracy 100 yards and in, so this seemed like the best option.

Btw, the greens there were the worst I have ever seen anywhere, but I really needed to work on my accuracy 100 yards and in, so this seemed like the best option.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, I'm pretty sure Bryan Park has a decent practice facility, LK might know. The other thing to do is just pay the greens fee on the Championship course in the afternoon on a random weekday, play a few holes and practice around the greens. If someone needs to play through, just wave them up. The conditions are obviously going to be much better. #12 has a good green complex. You could always slip the cart guy $10 and he'll let you go.

Last edited:
I definitely don't on the range. I tend to hit balls really quickly, guess I should work on that and hit less balls (or just hit slower). On the course, it's a practice swing or 2, then normal setup. Something to work on at the range this week before another round next weekend (or late 9 after work ths week sometime).

Yea, just google pre-shot routines and you'll find a million instructors on youtube with ideas. Try it out and see how it goes, it will definitively slow you down, which may be a good thing.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, I'm pretty sure Bryan Park has a decent practice facility, LK might know. The other thing to do is just pay the greens fee on the Championship course in the afternoon on a random weekday, play a few holes and practice around the greens. If someone needs to play through, just wave them up. The conditions are obviously going to be much better. #12 has a good green complex.

Do folks do that very often? That is a great idea.

Do folks do that very often? That is a great idea.

I used to do it all the time, it takes 30 seconds to pick up the balls if someone gives you shit, just repair divot marks and let the next guy through. Obviously, not a great idea if the course is busy but on the back nine in the evening you'll be fine.

I used to do it all the time, it takes 30 seconds to pick up the balls if someone gives you shit, just repair divot marks and let the next guy through. Obviously, not a great idea if the course is busy but on the back nine in the evening you'll be fine.

That might be how I spend my Tue or Thur evenings this summer now that I don't work at the Y until 7-9 every night.

Lost to Doofus' 77 but fired an 80 and came in with a 37 after going out kinda badly. I'm inconsistent off the tee for the time-being but am putting well to be relatively early in the season for me. I love Tanglewood's back side on that course. It's just a great layout IMO. I don't mind the front too much but am in love with the back.

Championship course?

Yeah Championship. I just love the design on the back. I'm a huge fan of sides where the first hole is a little easy to get you started with a shorter hole and then I love the transition into the par 3 11th and then the 12th hole which is a beast (even though the tee shot is questionably unfair/fair IMO).

Yeah Championship. I just love the design on the back. I'm a huge fan of sides where the first hole is a little easy to get you started with a shorter hole and then I love the transition into the par 3 11th and then the 12th hole which is a beast (even though the tee shot is questionably unfair/fair IMO).

The third hole is the worst hole I've ever played. I used to hit 5 iron, 5 iron, wedge. The slope of the fairway is insane. I hate the tree off the tee on #4. I love #5, #6...not a huge fan of #7, a par three of that length should have a bailout area. 8&9 dont play as they were designed. I think the back is much better.

Back