• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

64 years ago on a really easy, crappy course. 68 once in competition. 70 from the tips at the Duke Univ. course in The Durham Am when it used to be played there back in the 80's - probably most proud of that one...

Was hungover today and struggled to a 40 on the front at The Divide in Matthews. Over the next 14 holes though (played a few extra), had 3 birdies and only 1 bogey. I couldn't make a putt either, so I was really pleased how well I started hitting the ball.

If a local public course had an "intermediate league" on weekdays, what would you expect the level of competition to be?

I joined one because the club only had a beginner and intermediate league, and I just wanted to play some weekday golf. I'll post my experience thus far after getting some feedback from you guys.

If a local public course had an "intermediate league" on weekdays, what would you expect the level of competition to be?

I joined one because the club only had a beginner and intermediate league, and I just wanted to play some weekday golf. I'll post my experience thus far after getting some feedback from you guys.

I'd probably expect a couple scratch types, a good amount of upper 70s-low 80s, and then several people who belong in the beginner league. Perhaps people who wear slacks and have tour bags but struggle to break 90. How'd I do?

Where is good places in the W-S area to join beginner leagues? I would love to do this.

I'd probably expect a couple scratch types, a good amount of upper 70s-low 80s, and then several people who belong in the beginner league. Perhaps people who wear slacks and have tour bags but struggle to break 90. How'd I do?

Public course intermediate league? I'd be shocked if anyone shoots par or better. I'd guess the best players would be singled digit caps that tend to shoot 80+ counting every stroke in a tournament setting.

Assuming the course isn't a cupcake and you play from actual men's tees, I bet 78 is top 3 every time out.

Well, I think my expectations were more similar to DCDeac's. However, I apparently was quite mistaken.

We only play their 9 hole course which is a par 33 (no par 5's and 3 par 3's). First day I go out, I was placed with three women. One of them was decent, probably shoots around 100. The other two were quite bad. One averaged 4 putts per hole, and the other would probably swing and miss the ball once a hole. I played with predominantly male groups the other two times, and I think their scores all ranged from 42-50. I've shot 39, 39, and 37, and I consider myself a low 80s golfer when playing well. Since turning those scores in, I've had the guy who runs it suggest that I probably shouldn't be in this league as it's not fair to the others, as I'll probably win the league.

I just wasn't sure if people have a very difficult time of properly assessing their own abilities, or if I just clearly lacked an accurate understanding of the term intermediate.

i play golf about 5 times a year. 4 of those rounds are in the 86-88 range. the other is around 100.

yesterday was the 100.

One of the rounds I'm most proud of is a 79 I shot at Carnoustie in May of 2003. It was so windy, we had to take the wind into account on any putt over 3-4 feet. I finished par-bogey-bogey on those three ridiculously difficult finishing holes and was just as happy with the two bogeys as I was with the 3 made on 16. Seventeen might be the hardest par 4 I've ever played anywhere. Unlike Jean Van De Velde, I laid up on the par 4 eighteenth playing into the wind, wedged onto the green with my third, and two-putted from about 15 feet for bogey.

After the round, my caddy told me he took a bet with one of the other caddies after the front nine as to whether I'd break 80. (Every time I've been to Scotland, the caddies seem to have had more action going on than the golfers did.) I shot 38 on the front and 41 on the back. I have a picture of me holding my card with my caddie standing behind the 18th green. My foursome took the caddies to a pub across the street and we had a great time drinking and listening to their stories. I don't ever remember the McEwan's 80 Shilling Ale tasting better than it did that day.

That's a great round. I played St. Andrews and Carnoustie back-to-back. Drizzling but low wind on the Old Course and shot 71 - was hitting my 2 iron well all day and it would run 30+ yards on some holes.

Had all kinds of confidence heading to Carnoustie but the wind was up. Front 9 was ugly, started figuring things out on the back... I just remember 17 was dead into the wind, I hit a great drive and pured 3 wood and still came up just short of the fringe even though it was only playing 450. Then 18 was playing 485 and I hit driver wedge for a closing birdie, think I ended up 43/38 for an 81.

It is definitely amazing to stand on the 18th tee and imagine Van de Velde with a 3 shot lead not just hitting a few easy iron shots to coast to a victory. It's a tough par 4, but it's a pretty easy par 5. And an extremely easy par 6.

Public course intermediate league? I'd be shocked if anyone shoots par or better. I'd guess the best players would be singled digit caps that tend to shoot 80+ counting every stroke in a tournament setting.

Assuming the course isn't a cupcake and you play from actual men's tees, I bet 78 is top 3 every time out.

I just came up with my guess based on the assumption that it was the best men's league available at a particular public course. There are a ton of good players around the Charlotte public courses. The guy playing behind us yesterday was striping drives 330+ down the middle.

I shot an 84 at the Kiawah Ocean Course from the Dye set of tees (134 course rating, 72.0) which plays around 6500 and was very pleased. The wind was probably blowing about 25 or 30 for the first 10 holes before a storm came in and then the last 8 holes were played in relatively calm conditions. We got to 17 and the caddy told us to all go to the tips and throw a ball down to look at how tough a shot it is when into the wind (a slight wind at this point) and to have a forced carry of around 215 or 220 to the green. I couldn't imagine having a one shot lead in August coming to 17 and hitting that shot if the wind is up.

I'm really excited to see this year's PGA just because I've played the course.

64 years ago on a really easy, crappy course. 68 once in competition. 70 from the tips at the Duke Univ. course in The Durham Am when it used to be played there back in the 80's - probably most proud of that one...

I read this as if you had shot a 68, 64 years ago.

Well, I think my expectations were more similar to DCDeac's. However, I apparently was quite mistaken.

We only play their 9 hole course which is a par 33 (no par 5's and 3 par 3's). First day I go out, I was placed with three women. One of them was decent, probably shoots around 100. The other two were quite bad. One averaged 4 putts per hole, and the other would probably swing and miss the ball once a hole. I played with predominantly male groups the other two times, and I think their scores all ranged from 42-50. I've shot 39, 39, and 37, and I consider myself a low 80s golfer when playing well. Since turning those scores in, I've had the guy who runs it suggest that I probably shouldn't be in this league as it's not fair to the others, as I'll probably win the league.

I just wasn't sure if people have a very difficult time of properly assessing their own abilities, or if I just clearly lacked an accurate understanding of the term intermediate.

Where is this at nonny? It sounds like the league I should be in.

Does anyone know where I can find beginner leagues in the triad area? I would love to find one to play in and get better.

I shot an 84 at the Kiawah Ocean Course from the Dye set of tees (134 course rating, 72.0) which plays around 6500 and was very pleased. The wind was probably blowing about 25 or 30 for the first 10 holes before a storm came in and then the last 8 holes were played in relatively calm conditions. We got to 17 and the caddy told us to all go to the tips and throw a ball down to look at how tough a shot it is when into the wind (a slight wind at this point) and to have a forced carry of around 215 or 220 to the green. I couldn't imagine having a one shot lead in August coming to 17 and hitting that shot if the wind is up.

I'm really excited to see this year's PGA just because I've played the course.

I shot 76 out there from the PGA tees back in February. Close to 7500 yards, rating around 78. Didn't card a score over 5 the entire day. No doubles. Bogeyed last 2 holes. Probably a solid 20 MPH wind most of the day. One of the best rounds I'll ever play.

I too am stoked to see how the pros play that course.

I just came up with my guess based on the assumption that it was the best men's league available at a particular public course. There are a ton of good players around the Charlotte public courses. The guy playing behind us yesterday was striping drives 330+ down the middle.

The players who could break par are not spending their time playing in golf leagues. They are either practicing or finding a decent money game to play in.

I played the Ocean Course from the tips in a howling wind at my absolute best. I was 8 over through 10 (with a quad on 10) and was just completely lost. I made 2 eagles, 2 birdies and 4 pars coming in.

Back