• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I am thinking of joining Pine Knolls they have have a league, with a monthly tournament and gangsomes on weekends without tourneys.

The boards golf outings were always a blast, we would get hammered on the course. One year my individual score was better than the team's score.

I am thinking of joining Pine Knolls they have have a league, with a monthly tournament and gangsomes on weekends without tourneys.

Do you actually like that golf course?

Pine Knolls is the course that you can see partially off of I-40, right?

I'm in the DC area, but just wondering if you have a go-to list of courses you check whenever you play. I've been trying to find new places around that are reasonably priced (i.e. under maybe $70 with a cart), which isn't the easiest. Just curious. I've played Algonkian, RedGate, and Greendale recently, playing one of the Twin Lakes courses this Saturday. I hate how expensive the Reston Nationals and 1757s are though.

My "home" course is Blue Mash. Its not in DC, but its not far from Redgate. Its a nice course that you can play for well under $70 most of the time.

I would be embarrassed to play in a boards golf tourney with people breaking 80 lol.

Do you actually like that golf course?

It is not my favorite, but I have played worse. I am just looking for a course nearby that has leagues with divisions that people who suck can play in. They seemed to have that.

If we actually did a boards golf tourney, would be cool to make it some kind of team event. People post their handicaps and maybe have LK and someone else create fair teams.

Sure we could work something out to make it fun and interesting for everyone.

we could play divisions.

90+ in 1
80+ another
everyone else

If we actually did a boards golf tourney, would be cool to make it some kind of team event. People post their handicaps and maybe have LK and someone else create fair teams.

I like this option.

I was just thinking of inviting you to play East Lake but no mas.

Haha touche. I like the Greenbrier course where 18 is a par 3 and the dining room/clubhouse overlooks it. I think it's the Old Course? I can't remember.

Another poster from the old boards and I run a tournament every year with about 36 golfers. We try to make even foursomes based on handicaps and known playing ability. The format is what I call "superball" and others call a modified scramble. Every player tees off and you select the best tee shot. From that ball, everyone plays the entire hole out and cards a score. The team score is the low 2 balls on each hole.

I like the format because it gives everyone a chance to contribute and allows everyone to play from a good tee shot.

I'd be glad to try and organize something this fall. Pine Brook has done it in the past for $30/golfer.

Another poster from the old boards and I run a tournament every year with about 36 golfers. We try to make even foursomes based on handicaps and known playing ability. The format is what I call "superball" and others call a modified scramble. Every player tees off and you select the best tee shot. From that ball, everyone plays the entire hole out and cards a score. The team score is the low 2 balls on each hole.

I like the format because it gives everyone a chance to contribute and allows everyone to play from a good tee shot.

I'd be glad to try and organize something this fall. Pine Brook has done it in the past for $30/golfer.

LGO? i've been wanting to play but it always conflicts with other plans. why is DFTC posting on the boards anymore?

LGO? i've been wanting to play but it always conflicts with other plans. why is DFTC posting on the boards anymore?

Yes on the LGO. We are currently trying to plan this year's event.

I think DFTC doesn't like the tone of any of the boards anymore. He still lurks on occasion, but rarely posts.

Back