• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Another poster from the old boards and I run a tournament every year with about 36 golfers. We try to make even foursomes based on handicaps and known playing ability. The format is what I call "superball" and others call a modified scramble. Every player tees off and you select the best tee shot. From that ball, everyone plays the entire hole out and cards a score. The team score is the low 2 balls on each hole.

I like the format because it gives everyone a chance to contribute and allows everyone to play from a good tee shot.

I'd be glad to try and organize something this fall. Pine Brook has done it in the past for $30/golfer.
Would definitely make the trip down to Winston for this.

Webb Simpson playing with Tiger and Bill Haas playing with Phil thur/fri. That's inconvenient for the deacon fan at quail hollow. Big time matchups. Can't wait. Time for an official quail hollow thread on sports page?

Webb Simpson playing with Tiger and Bill Haas playing with Phil thur/fri. That's inconvenient for the deacon fan at quail hollow. Big time matchups. Can't wait. Time for an official quail hollow thread on sports page?

Yea.

Another poster from the old boards and I run a tournament every year with about 36 golfers. We try to make even foursomes based on handicaps and known playing ability. The format is what I call "superball" and others call a modified scramble. Every player tees off and you select the best tee shot. From that ball, everyone plays the entire hole out and cards a score. The team score is the low 2 balls on each hole.

I like the format because it gives everyone a chance to contribute and allows everyone to play from a good tee shot.

I'd be glad to try and organize something this fall. Pine Brook has done it in the past for $30/golfer.

I'm on board for this. As long as I have no scheduling conflicts. I am a max handicapper. Hope to pick up a couple strokes by fall though.

I don't care if you shoot 100. If you can play fast you can join my group anytime.

Yes on the LGO. We are currently trying to plan this year's event.

I think DFTC doesn't like the tone of any of the boards anymore. He still lurks on occasion, but rarely posts.

You forgot to mention that my team is defending LGO Champion. #humblebrag

DFTC was a great poster. if you were on the other side of him in an argument, chances are you were wrong. make sure you include me on the email again this year. i'll pm you my address.

Definitely be in for that

DFTC was a great poster. if you were on the other side of him in an argument, chances are you were wrong. make sure you include me on the email again this year. i'll pm you my address.

Will do.

I don't care if you shoot 100. If you can play fast you can join my group anytime.

yup. when i got to wake breaking 100 was a fantastic round. my buddies said the same thing, play fast and it's ok.

you pick up so many good habits from golfers who can actually play, just have to learn how to keep up

I'm in the DC area, but just wondering if you have a go-to list of courses you check whenever you play. I've been trying to find new places around that are reasonably priced (i.e. under maybe $70 with a cart), which isn't the easiest. Just curious. I've played Algonkian, RedGate, and Greendale recently, playing one of the Twin Lakes courses this Saturday. I hate how expensive the Reston Nationals and 1757s are though.

The problem is if a course charges less than $70 on a weekend near the DC area it'll be overrun with moron golfers and you're looking at a 5+ hour round. I try to avoid courses like Greendale, Pohick, Reston National, and Twin Lakes like the plague.

I keep an eye on golfnow.com for deals pretty regularly - we played Lake Presidential on Sunday for $53 instead or $99 for example. It also depends on whether you're willing to drive a bit. You can get on Cannon Ridge, which is 45 minutes from Alexandria, for under $70 on a weekend and it's a fantastic course. But it's a hike.

In no particular order here are some courses within the 45 minute range that I can vouch for as legit:

Cannon Ridge
Laurel Hill (hosting the 2014 Pub Links championship)
Raspberry Falls
Lake Presidential
Worthington Manor
Whiskey Creek
Maryland National
Westfields
PB Dye
Renditions (fun once a year)
Bull Run
Augustine (under new ownership and apparently much improved)

Less Great but it's still golf:
Old Hickory
Pleasant Valley
Forest Greens
South Riding
Virginia Oaks

Avoid:
Greendale
Pohick Bay
Generals Ridge
Twin Lakes
Ospreys
Hilltop
The Gauntlet
Potomac Ridge

I call that format a Texas Scramble and it is a great way for everyone to actually get to play golf (actually play their own ball into the hole) unlike a pure scramble or superball, but without having to play from terrible positions off the tee (or OB or something)...

Isn't that more commonly known as a Shamble?

According to "The Internet":

The pick the best drive then play 4-balls in is a "Shamble"
The pick the best shot all the way through the hole is a "Scramble" or "Captain's Choice"
A "Texas Scramble" is a Scramble where each player's tee-shot must be used once (or x number of times) a round.
And in a "Florida Scramble", it is a regular Scramble but whomever's shot you used doesn't get to hit the next shot (AKA a Step-Aside Scramble"

Last edited:
Anyone ever had a lesson from the instructors at Deep River Golf Range in HP? Pretty good Groupon up today, 3 60 minute lessons for $99.

Since I've already received multiple PMs from posters inquiring about a boards golf tournament, I'll go ahead and run one.

The first step will be putting together a list of available dates (Saturdays without home games, Sundays after home games, and the Friday after Clemson). I will then put up a poll where people can vote for the dates they are available. We'll try to pick the date where the most people can play.

My early gut feeling on this is that the Friday after the Clemson game will be prime since almost everyone from out of town will try to be here for that game and hopefully can stick around for an extra day.

Another option focused around the Clemson game would be a 9:00 shotgun start that morning, which would have all of us off the course and tailgating by 2:00.

The tournament will be at Pine Brook Country Club and I'll work with the pro to get a fee somewhere in the $30-35 range.

I shot you this in the email but here are the away dates and the date after Clemson:
9/15/12 FSU away
10/6/12 MD away
10/13/12 Open Date
10/20/12 UVA away
10/26/12 day after Clemson
11/10/12 State away
11/17/12 ND away

Think you can easily rule out State away and ND away as many people will be travelling to the games those weekends.

Back