• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Belly putter + 20 hours of practice.

Or just buy a 2 ball if you haven't tried one before.

Damn, there's this great site (golfclubatlas.com), a guy on their message boards just finished playing the top 100 courses in the world.

I've been a long time member over there and gotten access to some great courses through that place. They've also clued me into some absolute gems such as Rustic Canyon that I try to play whenever I'm in SoCal.

Belly putter + 20 hours of practice.

Or just buy a 2 ball if you haven't tried one before.

I'm a fan of the Rossa Ghost as well. Helps on alignment.

I'm currently rolling a 30 year old Ping Zing. It's always the putter I go back to when the greens speed up. Everything I've ever won in golf was done with that putter.

I'd check out Cape Fear National. It's just down Highway 17 from Magnolia Greens (maybe 5 mins) and is a much better layout in my opinion. It's been in great shape every time I've played it. It's a little pricey if you can't get them to give you the local rate though; $80 before 2pm, $60 after.

To Deacfreak07's point, the Muni is pretty much always in great shape for the amount of play it gets..

Think they've give me the locals rate since my family has a house on Figure 8? I would think so...

I'll be playing Eagle's Landing over July 4th, so I think I can manage to wait until then, TW.

Think they've give me the locals rate since my family has a house on Figure 8? I would think so...

I'll be playing Eagle's Landing over July 4th, so I think I can manage to wait until then, TW.

Are you talking about Eagle Point? Like the ridiculously swanky private course? http://eaglepointgc.com/

I was lucky enough to get on it with one of my dad's biggest suppliers (back when people were actually building houses). It was so pristine, and definitely one of my favorites in the state. I also birdied 4 or the first 6 holes before coming back down to earth.

Yeah, I don't think it'd be a problem getting them to give you the local rate.

I'm always available for a round at Eagle Point if you ever have an opening...hahaha.

Are you talking about Eagle Point? Like the ridiculously swanky private course? http://eaglepointgc.com/

I was lucky enough to get on it with one of my dad's biggest suppliers (back when people were actually building houses). It was so pristine, and definitely one of my favorites in the state. I also birdied 4 or the first 6 holes before coming back down to earth.

Ah, yeah, not Eagle's Landing. Not sure where I got that name, I think I call it that fairly frequently.

Last time I played there, I was going to Wilmington from DC and flew from Charlotte to ILM on a small plane with this group of 4 absolute douchebags, possibly the douchiest mid-30s guys I've ever encountered (most of the douches I encounter are mid-late 20s, fyi). Lo and behold, get to Eagle Point the following morning with my dad, and who is there but those uber-douches, douching it up in a very douchey manner. My dad and I had a good time making fun of them during our round, which was abysmally hot to the point that we got a cart for the 2nd 9 and the caddy rode on the back of it with us. I need to get better so playing there isn't a waste of money.

Last edited:
I had a TP Mills for like 5 years but switched to the two-ball because I kept missing shorter putts and didn't really have confidence with the non-mallet. Switching to the two-ball really helped out and increased my made putts inside 10 feet.

I'm putting really well this year, driving it moderately well, and chipping the ball unbelievably well. My iron game is lagging a little right now which is different for me.

Played my first round since surgery in December on Thursday and played pretty damn good. Shot a 79 (pretty easy course fwiw) so hopefully I can build on that for the summer. Now that i've graduated hopefully I can get on the links some more. Felt great to be back out there. Putting was pretty awful compared to normal but I my iron game was surprisingly on point.

Epic collapse of a round Saturday. Bogyed the first hole, lipped out for birdie on 2 and 3 after great iron/wedge shots, chipped in for eagle on 4, birdied 5 which is the hardest hole on the course. Proceeded to play the next 13 holes, ten over for an 80. :facepalm

This weekend was the first time (in a long time) I was able to watch the full coverage on a golf tournament and I did so really trying to study the players. Granted, I'm a high handicap golfer, but seeing Rickie Fowler hit a 7 iron 180+ made my head spin. Those guys (and probably some of you too) can really crush the ball.

This weekend was the first time (in a long time) I was able to watch the full coverage on a golf tournament and I did so really trying to study the players. Granted, I'm a high handicap golfer, but seeing Rickie Fowler hit a 7 iron 180+ made my head spin. Those guys (and probably some of you too) can really crush the ball.
Played with a kid in Miami two weeks back that if you kept legit score, would probably have finished with about a 115/120. However, the kid had insane power with his irons.

Had a 190 yard hole and he takes an 8 iron and hits the back of the green. And not a skull or anything, but a legit arc that you'd want from an 8-iron. Was very impressive for someone who had only played golf <10 times in his life.

Played with a kid in Miami two weeks back that if you kept legit score, would probably have finished with about a 115/120. However, the kid had insane power with his irons.

Had a 190 yard hole and he takes an 8 iron and hits the back of the green. And not a skull or anything, but a legit arc that you'd want from an 8-iron. Was very impressive for someone who had only played golf <10 times in his life.

A buddy of mine is huge hitter. He has insane loft on his irons. He will hit some shots, that watching them jump off the club face I think there is no way he did not sail it, but then after taking out a satellite, they torpedo down onto the green.

Think I mentioned this before, but my team qualified for the Acura College Alumni Team Championship by winning a scramble this weekend. Wake didn't send a team last year - anyone on this thread who is throwing a tournament for Wake folks or simply for any charity/effort associated with Wake Forest should look into sending the winning team. It's an awesome event. All expenses paid, 3 nights 4 days at Pinehurst. Tournament rounds on #2 and #4. Tons of great stuff included. One of the best weekends of my year last time around.

Most people that I've played with that hit shots like that are really bad.

He's pretty good. Probably shoots 80's. Played in High School now plays like 5-10 rounds per year.

His swing is bizarre though. He has the slowest backswing and quickest downswing I'm ever seen. Pretty enigmatic.

He is one of the most coordinated people I know, but he is too nice and not very competitive. Type of guy that can do just about anything really well.

Most of the pros that you see hitting 190 yard 7 irons have their irons delofted and are hitting something comparable to your 6 iron.

That said, when you get perfectly fitted with the proper shaft, lie and loft on your irons you will see a decent increase in distance. I went from hitting a 7 iron 170 to 180 just by getting stiffer shafts a few years ago.

Most of the pros that you see hitting 190 yard 7 irons have their irons delofted and are hitting something comparable to your 6 iron.

That said, when you get perfectly fitted with the proper shaft, lie and loft on your irons you will see a decent increase in distance. I went from hitting a 7 iron 170 to 180 just by getting stiffer shafts a few years ago.

LK - what's the logic behind delofting the club?

Back