• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Wow, that course brings back memories. I haven't played there in 30 years but it used to be the best public course option in Salisbury.

Good to hear. I will let you know how it is now. The deal was great - $32 for two 18 holes plus carts and range balls.

I've been trying to golf twice a month here in Wilmington. Just have to pick the nicer days of the month. So far Nov. and Dec have been fine. We will see about Jan-Mar

Where do you play in Wilmington? My parents live there and I will be down for Christmas the 22-26. I would like to play a good public course down there on either the 22 or 23.

Keep in mind that I am a max handicapper looking for as much course experience as possible.

For me in cold weather, it's all about keeping my hands warm. I can play in almost anything as long as my hands stay warm. I wear cart mittens with a handwarmer in each one. Whether I'm walking or riding, I wear them in between shots the entire round.

Also like the idea of a little liquid warmth, as one poster mentioned.

Bit more info please.

Well, not a lot of ranges. Top Golf has heat, but it's expensive. It might not be an ideal range, but it does help you determine how good your aim really is.

East Potomac has heated bays, though not a ton. Went today, couldn't get a heated bay, but in the sun under a cover, I was warm enough halfway through a bucket to be hitting in short sleeves.

1757 golf course out near Dulles has heat too, but it's convenient for me because I live in Arlington and work in Leesburg, so I drive by it every day.

Hit like shit this morning though, need to go again before I go to Grand Cayman, don't want to play like crap in the only warmth I'll get till March...

Wow, that course brings back memories. I haven't played there in 30 years but it used to be the best public course option in Salisbury.

I liked the course. Greens were in decent shape for December. The ground was really muddy, but they can only control that so much this time of year. I liked the layout ok, pretty wide open and not too many leaves. Seems like they are reinvesting in the course right now.

As far as my play, I double my driving accuracy, cut my putting in half, and played like complete dogshit in between to add like 18 strokes to my typical score. The mud was part of that, but surely not all.

My wife got her first birdie today, on a nice long putt off the fringe. Damn red tees.

Where do you play in Wilmington? My parents live there and I will be down for Christmas the 22-26. I would like to play a good public course down there on either the 22 or 23.

Keep in mind that I am a max handicapper looking for as much course experience as possible.

Usually at masonboro country club (used to be the cape) its hard. Don't play there unless you have 25+ balls to lose. You could play at the municipal course. its cheap and straightforward. Magnolia greens is nice. Really its hard to go wrong.

Usually at masonboro country club (used to be the cape) its hard. Don't play there unless you have 25+ balls to lose. You could play at the municipal course. its cheap and straightforward. Magnolia greens is nice. Really its hard to go wrong.

I was thinking of going the muni route. Thanks for the info.

Anyone have push cart recommendations? Thinking about one for Christmas.

I got one at dicks for like $30 and it's done me right. I was worried it would break b/c it's mostly pretty cheap plastic but it has been great and totally worth the money. It folds in half so it's pretty easy to tote around. I'm just fairly careful with it like over curbs and stuff. Bout to put some more miles on it when my office goes on a 1/2 day schedule for the holidays soon.

I'd add Cape Fear National to the list...

I'd add Cape Fear National to the list...

For sure. I just didnt think he was wanting a nice course because of the high handicap. There are lots of good courses if you're looking. Do you play a lot in Wilmington?

Where does everyone like to play around Winston?

I play Wilshire on Peters Creek frequently because its cheap and its across the street from my house. Greens are usually shit, so I don't take too much out of how I do on the green. Very easy, short course, good for practicing and goofing around.

I enjoy the Reynolds course at Tanglewood as well. Probably need to explore some other courses in Winston.

Figured it was time we had a silo for golf related discussion. Hopefully folks can use this thread for advice on courses, instruction, equipment, and all things golf-related. Feel free to share your great rounds/shots, epic failures, meltdowns, and any great stories.

Well here goes:

Won 2A state title my Freshman/Sophomore/Junior years

Lost my Senior year by 1 stroke. Ive never played the same since that day. Still hurts. :tear:

I play Wilshire on Peters Creek frequently because its cheap and its across the street from my house. Greens are usually shit, so I don't take too much out of how I do on the green. Very easy, short course, good for practicing and goofing around.

I enjoy the Reynolds course at Tanglewood as well. Probably need to explore some other courses in Winston.

How does Wilshire stack up to Reynolds Park?

Also, anyone ever played Hemlock in Walnut Cove up in Stokes County? It's a shorter course that is pretty well maintained. Almost broke 100 there.

Back