• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Anyone want to play tomorrow.

/Forever alone

Also, does Wilshire have a website? I tried looking it up and I'm coming up with nothing

How does Wilshire stack up to Reynolds Park?

Wilshire is a goat track with miserable greens and no architectural merit whatsoever.

Reynolds Park was designed by noted architect Perry Maxwell and is one of only 2 Maxwell originals in the southeast (Old Town is the other) and while a bit short for modern equipment, is an absolute joy to play. It's also kept in pretty good shape for a muni.

Wilshire is a goat track with miserable greens and no architectural merit whatsoever.

Reynolds Park was designed by noted architect Perry Maxwell and is one of only 2 Maxwell originals in the southeast (Old Town is the other) and while a bit short for modern equipment, is an absolute joy to play. It's also kept in pretty good shape for a muni.

Ok. I enjoy Reynolds park. Probably my favorite course.

For sure. I just didnt think he was wanting a nice course because of the high handicap. There are lots of good courses if you're looking. Do you play a lot in Wilmington?

I play 6 or 7 times a month in the spring/summer, a lot less once football kicks off in the fall. Try to walk 9 @ the muni in the evening at least once a week once the time changes in the Spring. I generally rotate around between Cape Fear National, Magnolia Greens, Belvedere, & Castle Bay..

How does Wilshire stack up to Reynolds Park?

Also, anyone ever played Hemlock in Walnut Cove up in Stokes County? It's a shorter course that is pretty well maintained. Almost broke 100 there.

We played Hemlock quite a bit when I was still in HS, it's an okay course, but was never close to well maintained from what I could see. Hemlock course record holder (with like a 56 or something) Derek Brown (also played in the 2005 US Open at Pinehurst) is now the head pro at Pilot Knob Park. Haven't been able to play it in a while but it's usually in great shape compared to Hemlock. Usually pretty well priced so i'd suggest trying to get over to there if you can. Cross Creek CC in Mt. Airy is the nicest course in Surry County (Ceaderbrook in Elkin a close second). All three are solid choices.

Getting ready to have shoulder surgery on a torn labarum so i won't be able to play any spring golf. Pretty upset about that.

Well here goes:

Won 2A state title my Freshman/Sophomore/Junior years

Lost my Senior year by 1 stroke. Ive never played the same since that day. Still hurts. :tear:

Damn Screamin that's impressive, I assume you mean individual state titles. Where did you play in HS? I know Ledford was the top dog in 2A when I was in HS (2002-2006). I played at East Surry (1A). Made All-Conference 3 years, and won team state titles in 2005 and 2006. I can't say I did much to win those titles as a I was the 4th best player on the team haha.

My younger brother won a state individual title in 2006 as a sophomore, then our neighbor won individual titles in 2007 and 2008. He got invited to be a prefered walk-on at FSU but the women and fraternity life ended that pretty quickly haha. We also had Tommy Gibson on our team and he bounces around the mini-tours in NC/SC and Florida. Most talented golfer we had but was sort of a head case when it came down to closing tourneys out. being the 4th with those guys every day in the summer gets pretty depressing, would just get whipped most days, even if I played good. Nothing worse than shooting even and being the worse score in your foursome!

My best round was actually the back 9 of an my senior year regional qualifier. We were playing at Ceaderbrook CC in a stacked region with Elkin (it was their home course and they had some players that could give us a run on a good day), Mt. Airy who was really solid as well, and Jordan Matthews, our biggest roadblock to the state title. Only 3 of us advanced to States so we had a little pressure on us to make it out and repeat.

I went out in 43, 3 jacked the last hole and was pretty pissed. My dad got on me after that and got me fired up. None of our top 4 played well on the front (not really any depth on 1A teams) I stopped fighting the weak cut I had going on that day and got it rolling on the back. Came back in with a 32 (par 36) that could have been lower. Lipped out birdies on 16 and 13 and hit it to about 2 inches, another centimeter here or there and i'm looking at a 29 or 30. I hit 8 greens, all within 20 feet. Just in the zone it was awesome.

Strange enough my next round at Pilot I shot 30 (par 35) and then don't play the back to eat with my girlfriend at the time. Worst decision i've ever made :plos:.

Might share some other things i've seen caddying for my brother in qualifiers and AJGA stuff he played in but I feel like thats just ripping some of his stuff off. Now I want to hear some LK stories!

Damn Screamin that's impressive, I assume you mean individual state titles. Where did you play in HS? I know Ledford was the top dog in 2A when I was in HS (2002-2006). I played at East Surry (1A). Made All-Conference 3 years, and won team state titles in 2005 and 2006. I can't say I did much to win those titles as a I was the 4th best player on the team haha.

My younger brother won a state individual title in 2006 as a sophomore, then our neighbor won individual titles in 2007 and 2008. He got invited to be a prefered walk-on at FSU but the women and fraternity life ended that pretty quickly haha. We also had Tommy Gibson on our team and he bounces around the mini-tours in NC/SC and Florida. Most talented golfer we had but was sort of a head case when it came down to closing tourneys out. being the 4th with those guys every day in the summer gets pretty depressing, would just get whipped most days, even if I played good. Nothing worse than shooting even and being the worse score in your foursome!

My best round was actually the back 9 of an my senior year regional qualifier. We were playing at Ceaderbrook CC in a stacked region with Elkin (it was their home course and they had some players that could give us a run on a good day), Mt. Airy who was really solid as well, and Jordan Matthews, our biggest roadblock to the state title. Only 3 of us advanced to States so we had a little pressure on us to make it out and repeat.

I went out in 43, 3 jacked the last hole and was pretty pissed. My dad got on me after that and got me fired up. None of our top 4 played well on the front (not really any depth on 1A teams) I stopped fighting the weak cut I had going on that day and got it rolling on the back. Came back in with a 32 (par 36) that could have been lower. Lipped out birdies on 16 and 13 and hit it to about 2 inches, another centimeter here or there and i'm looking at a 29 or 30. I hit 8 greens, all within 20 feet. Just in the zone it was awesome.

Strange enough my next round at Pilot I shot 30 (par 35) and then don't play the back to eat with my girlfriend at the time. Worst decision i've ever made :plos:.

Might share some other things i've seen caddying for my brother in qualifiers and AJGA stuff he played in but I feel like thats just ripping some of his stuff off. Now I want to hear some LK stories!

Team State Titles (figured everyone would assume that since if I was a 3-time individual state title winner id be playing at Stanford right now, haha)

Bingo. LHS class of '08

Team State Titles (figured everyone would assume that since if I was a 3-time individual state title winner id be playing at Stanford right now, haha)

Bingo. LHS class of '08

Nice. You started the same year as my bro and ES and Ledford basically ran 1A and 2A. Did you get to play in the Tourney of Champions or whatever in 2007? Most if not all the Classification winners and runner ups from the 2006 played in it so I assume you guys did. The 2 kids my brother got paired with were Mitchell Cromie of Green Hope and Bo Andrews of Ravenscroft. Cromie ended up getting a full ride to UGA and Andrews to GT. Easy to see why my brother got whipped pretty good that day haha. My fraternity brother here at State finished #2 in the individuals of 4A, dude is insane. It blows my mind that he didn't get a scholarship somewhere the kid is insane. Cromie shot 66 the final day at states to beat him.

Nice. You started the same year as my bro and ES and Ledford basically ran 1A and 2A. Did you get to play in the Tourney of Champions or whatever in 2007? Most if not all the Classification winners and runner ups from the 2006 played in it so I assume you guys did. The 2 kids my brother got paired with were Mitchell Cromie of Green Hope and Bo Andrews of Ravenscroft. Cromie ended up getting a full ride to UGA and Andrews to GT. Easy to see why my brother got whipped pretty good that day haha. My fraternity brother here at State finished #2 in the individuals of 4A, dude is insane. It blows my mind that he didn't get a scholarship somewhere the kid is insane. Cromie shot 66 the final day at states to beat him.

I cant remember if we played in 07 or 08. Maybe it was both, but I know I played at least once. I know for a fact we did in 08 and played like crap. IIRC those tournament were only top 5 players on the team correct? Not top 6 like normal tournaments. We thrived off of having 6 players that could go low on any given day. It was like clockwork for us, 2 players would play like dog crap and 4 would play awesome. We had a tournament once where #1 and #2 both imploded and shot 42+ and #3-#6 shot sub-37. Our conference sucked so bad that our coach made us a bet that if we won conference by 125+ strokes he'd provide the team East Coast Wings on him. we won.

I play Wilshire on Peters Creek frequently because its cheap and its across the street from my house. Greens are usually shit, so I don't take too much out of how I do on the green. Very easy, short course, good for practicing and goofing around.

I enjoy the Reynolds course at Tanglewood as well. Probably need to explore some other courses in Winston.

I played Wilshire once and absolutely hated it. The design is horrible, and because it is so flat, it is sometimes impossible to judge distance to the green or see things like a creek running across the fairway. It's doubly disappointing because it is about five minutes from my house.

I usually play Olde Homeplace now. It's pretty cheap, and it is almost always in great condition. Meadowlands and Oak Hollow are also nice courses, but a bit more expensive. I used to play Pudding Ridge a lot, but haven't been out there in a few years.

Also, story of how we lost senior year:

Lost a two day total (so 4 counting scores both days for a total of 8 counting scores) by 1 stroke. Even more bs is the team we lost to, Cardinal Gibbons (private school) out of raleigh was playing with the #3 seed in the tournament. How is that fair? The #2 and #3 seeds that weve beat our past 3 years get to play together while we get stuck with the #9 and #12 seeds. Moral of the story is they got to keep each others scores.

Long story short heres where we could have made up a stroke:
#3 Golfer hooks it OB with his drive on #1 on day two. proceeds to dunk it from the fairway for par after that. If he just hits the fairway we win.

#4 golfer takes a 10 on a par 5 when hes -2 under bc he refuses to take an unplayable from a greenside bunker (plugged in lip). He also missed a 2 footer tap in

I missed a 3 footer for birdie on 18 the first day that would have eventually won it

Seriously, this ish haunts me all the time. Cant stop thinking about what could have been

The best push cart BY FAR are the Clicgear carts. They are the most durable, and fold up to about 1 foot cubed.

Just saw this thread. I sold ClicGear carts way, way more than Sun Mountain or any other brand. They fold up smaller, are more durable as already mentioned, but also:
-dont have air tires. this might not seem like a big deal, until you have a flat tire and dont realize it before you're actually about to step onto the course
-hand brake is in a convenient place instead of on the side/underneath
-angle is easily adjusted, and as opposed to sun mountain has a piece that locks in (part of where it folds) that prevents there being a lot of stress on that piece. it will wear out sooner than you'd expect on sun mountain
-lots of color choices

Personally, I liked the look and feel of the 2.0 cart better than the 3.0 for clic gears. But either way, we sold them by the boatload

4 of 4. We did some research at the time and could not find any high school (public) that won 4 straight years. Can't remember if that was nation wide or just NC.

Also, it's been mentioned in other random threads before, but I used to do club fitting and repairs at Golf Smith in Raleigh - if anyone has random questions about anything like that, feel free to ask here or pm, either way

But enough meeping from me, these days I usually play:

Winding Creek in Thomasville
Wilshire on 150
Maple Leaf in KVille

All very cheap and not difficult

I will never give a dollar of my money to Olde Homeplace. Worked there for 2 weeks and quit so that I could save my self reputation. They are the most greedy and selfish owners on the face of this earth. Will rip their customers in every way possible. I've seen them not give rain checks because "the golfer should have known rain was in the forecast, it was their choice to play". Oh they also wouldn't let me off work for my great grandmas funeral, that was the last straw for me.

I'm taking a day off of work for my birthday on 12/20. Where should I play around Winston that is relatively cheap and easy?

Back