Page 4 of 184 FirstFirst 1234567891454104 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 3665

Thread: Official OGBoards Golf Thread

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamindemon3 View Post
    4 of 4. We did some research at the time and could not find any high school (public) that won 4 straight years. Can't remember if that was nation wide or just NC.
    We won two of my four years. I used to be scratch or better and played number four on my team. Bo Andrews (previously mentioned) played three, and two other ACC golfers played 1 and 2. Our number 5 guy was an invited walk on at Duke. I had issues w/ coach Haas and didn't end up making the team, despite beating the two walk-ons that did make it by 5 and 11 shots respectively in tryouts.

    At states my senior year at Bryan Park Championship, we had a rough day 1 and were like 6 or 7 back to FCDS. I shot 68, #1 shot 69, #6 guy shot 70, and we had to card our #2 guy's 74 after he sprained his wrist in the middle of the round. We lost. It was the lowest single day total in state tournament history at the time I belive. We also set the state record for the lowest regular match total ever. I forget what everyone shot, but I know Henry Zaytoun (#2 player at UNC, recent grad) shot a 63. It was unreal. I also made a hole in one in a match my sophomore year which was really cool. On the second par three (9 hole match) my ball stopped less than a foot short dead on line. I ended up shooting even. 2 birdies, an eagle, 2 bogies, a double, and three pars on nine holes. Fun.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerswood View Post
    We won two of my four years. I used to be scratch or better and played number four on my team. Bo Andrews (previously mentioned) played three, and two other ACC golfers played 1 and 2. Our number 5 guy was an invited walk on at Duke. I had issues w/ coach Haas and didn't end up making the team, despite beating the two walk-ons that did make it by 5 and 11 shots respectively in tryouts.

    At states my senior year at Bryan Park Championship, we had a rough day 1 and were like 6 or 7 back to FCDS. I shot 68, #1 shot 69, #6 guy shot 70, and we had to card our #2 guy's 74 after he sprained his wrist in the middle of the round. We lost. It was the lowest single day total in state tournament history at the time I belive. We also set the state record for the lowest regular match total ever. I forget what everyone shot, but I know Henry Zaytoun (#2 player at UNC, recent grad) shot a 63. It was unreal. I also made a hole in one in a match my sophomore year which was really cool. On the second par three (9 hole match) my ball stopped less than a foot short dead on line. I ended up shooting even. 2 birdies, an eagle, 2 bogies, a double, and three pars on nine holes. Fun.
    Thats awesome, we had a guy make an ace in a match out senior year, I heard him scream like a girl from a few holes away. That same round our #3 had to play barefooted because he left his shoes at home. That image made the paper, and not our boys ace. I laughed

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamindemon3 View Post
    Thats awesome, we had a guy make an ace in a match out senior year, I heard him scream like a girl from a few holes away. That same round our #3 had to play barefooted because he left his shoes at home. That image made the paper, and not our boys ace. I laughed
    Mine wasn't even a great shot. It landed 15 feet short and right of the hole w/ a pitching wedge and just took the break of the green perfectly and rolled dead center. It was like I played it to do that just like a putt. I chucked my club about 30 feet straight up in the air and our group sort of had to duck for cover.

    Other good stories.. Making a ten on a hole and still shooting in the thirties. Starting out triple-bogey, bogey and shooting even on nine (as you can see, very consistent golfer). Watching a friend (AA at GT) shoot 40-29 once. Hitting the pin dead online w/ driver on 310 yd par 4. Beating that clown Tommy Gibson someone mentioned in the NC Junior with his possy of douche-clowns following him (me with only Dad for the back nine). Shooting 1 under at Turnberry right before the Senior British after stepping off the plane an hour before. Watching friend shoot a flawless 68 on Troon from the tips. The caddies were even amazed. Also, caddies bet on you when you play overseas which is awesome. Starting out 4 under through 6 in tryouts at Wake at the Reynolds course still hammered from a KA White Party the night before (blew up and shot like 74).

  4. #64
    I can't really stack up to most of the accomplishments listed on this thread.

    * Played on 2 ('94, '95) state championship teams in high school back in Tucson, AZ. Was all-state my junior and senior year and won a handful of state level junior events. Never played well in AJGA stuff.

    * I can pretty much sum up my golfing career as a series of close misses in USGA qualifiers. Twice I've missed qualifying for the US Junior by a single shot. Missed qualifying for the US Am by 2 shots on 3 separate occasions. Missed playing off for a spot at the US Mid Am by a shot this year.

    deac06 crushes all of us in the golf resume department.

  5. #65
    Junior2016!!!!88!!1!!!!
    RubbinsRacin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    609 Venezia Ave
    Posts
    12,716
    Well this thread took a mighty humbling turn. y'all seem very proficient with the magic sticks.

    You would probably not recognize my efforts as the same game.

  6. #66
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    65,765
    Quote Originally Posted by RubbinsRacin View Post
    Well this thread took a mighty humbling turn. y'all seem very proficient with the magic sticks.

    You would probably not recognize my efforts as the same game.
    I probably would. I really wish I had started playing earlier. I used to hate the idea of golf. Then my father in law gave me a set of clubs about 3 years ago, and now I'm obsessed.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Karma View Post
    I can't really stack up to most of the accomplishments listed on this thread.

    * Played on 2 ('94, '95) state championship teams in high school back in Tucson, AZ. Was all-state my junior and senior year and won a handful of state level junior events. Never played well in AJGA stuff.

    * I can pretty much sum up my golfing career as a series of close misses in USGA qualifiers. Twice I've missed qualifying for the US Junior by a single shot. Missed qualifying for the US Am by 2 shots on 3 separate occasions. Missed playing off for a spot at the US Mid Am by a shot this year.

    deac06 crushes all of us in the golf resume department.
    Who is this deac06 you speak of? I dont think he posts over here.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Cup View Post
    Who is this deac06 you speak of? I dont think he posts over here.
    Good golfer. Doesn't hit the ball as far as me, but probably because he plays inferior equipment. His resume in USGA events is pretty much the inverse of mine.

    Regrettably, I think he died in the tragic accident that also claimed DemonDKE. He will be missed.
    Last edited by Liquid Karma; 12-12-2011 at 06:33 PM.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Karma View Post
    Good golfer. Doesn't hit the ball as far as me, but probably because he plays inferior equipment. His resume in USGA events is pretty much the inverse of mine.

    Regrettably, I think he died in the tragic accident that also claimed DemonDKE. He will be missed.
    He's not long, but he sure is crooked.

  10. #70
    Big hitter, the Lama. Long.

  11. #71
    Anyone wanna play over Christmas break? Haven't played since last summer, so I'll promise I'll suck. It'll be fun to play 18 and talk some WF sports though.

  12. #72
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    65,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamindemon3 View Post
    Anyone wanna play over Christmas break? Haven't played since last summer, so I'll promise I'll suck. It'll be fun to play 18 and talk some WF sports though.
    I'll be out of town this time around. We should try to organize an outing for the spring.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamindemon3 View Post
    4 of 4. We did some research at the time and could not find any high school (public) that won 4 straight years. Can't remember if that was nation wide or just NC.
    Yea there haven't been many teams to win 4 of 4. If you guys had won your senior year Ledford and East Surry would have done it in the exact same time period, ES in 1A and Ledford in 2A. The entire state of NC from like 2004-2010 was LOADED with quality young golfers. The record books show that as well. At the time East Surry's 2007 team score tied the lowest ever in 1A NC.

    And i hear ya about crappy conference mates. We were the same way. Several of the #2 guys we would have to play against from the likes of Alleghany or West Wilkes were terrible and routinely would shot mid 50's on 9 holes. It is basically impossible to concentrate on finishing a round strong at like +1 or +2 with a guy making at least a triple most holes.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerswood View Post
    Mine wasn't even a great shot. It landed 15 feet short and right of the hole w/ a pitching wedge and just took the break of the green perfectly and rolled dead center. It was like I played it to do that just like a putt. I chucked my club about 30 feet straight up in the air and our group sort of had to duck for cover.

    Other good stories.. Making a ten on a hole and still shooting in the thirties. Starting out triple-bogey, bogey and shooting even on nine (as you can see, very consistent golfer). Watching a friend (AA at GT) shoot 40-29 once. Hitting the pin dead online w/ driver on 310 yd par 4. Beating that clown Tommy Gibson someone mentioned in the NC Junior with his possy of douche-clowns following him (me with only Dad for the back nine). Shooting 1 under at Turnberry right before the Senior British after stepping off the plane an hour before. Watching friend shoot a flawless 68 on Troon from the tips. The caddies were even amazed. Also, caddies bet on you when you play overseas which is awesome. Starting out 4 under through 6 in tryouts at Wake at the Reynolds course still hammered from a KA White Party the night before (blew up and shot like 74).
    Haha sounds like we got a ringer here. Those HS teams you were on were insane loaded. And what makes you say Tommy's a douche? I can certainly see why someone would think that if you had just met him but he's actually a pretty decent guy once you get to know. Little goofy but nothing to take seriously.

  15. #75
    deac06 has never recovered from the beatdowns i used to put on him and his brother at FCC.

    good story that involves my best friend- in his HS conference championship he was tied for the lead after the final round and there was a sudden death playoff. second hole was a par 3 and the other guy hit one to inside of 10 feet. my boy steps up there and jars it. walk off hole in one ftw. he's the luckiest mfer i've ever seen on a golf course. he's got 3 hole in ones and a double eagle. he's unbelievably naturally talented. he can not pick up his sticks for 6 months and go out and shoot in the 70's nearly every time.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoneydeac View Post
    deac06 has never recovered from the beatdowns i used to put on him and his brother at FCC.
    "I play one of the most exclusive/expensive courses in the county regularly."

  17. #77
    Like a poor man's LK, the best I could muster when I was at my peak was missing the Pub Links by a few shots, although I did lead after the first round which was fun.

    Has anyone ever heard of or played in the Acura Alumni Challenge at Pinehurst? I won a scramble and got to go this year, and it was ridiculously awesome. Wake didn't field a team though.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by #HumbleBrag View Post
    "I play one of the most exclusive/expensive courses in the county regularly."
    lol, good try. i worked there making $6/hour.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    I probably would. I really wish I had started playing earlier. I used to hate the idea of golf. Then my father in law gave me a set of clubs about 3 years ago, and now I'm obsessed.
    This sums up my situation exactly

  20. #80
    Junior2016!!!!88!!1!!!!
    RubbinsRacin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    609 Venezia Ave
    Posts
    12,716
    I was really good in hs. worked at a cc so I could play all the time. hardly ever played in college +6 yrs after that so I lost my game. been struggling to get it back ever since but I think I could get into single digit handicaps if I had more time to practice and play. some lessons would help too. gonna play a lot this month hopefully. struggling with a death fade that kills my distance off the tee and long irons right now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •