• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Adare today. Only thing a course guide says about 18 is that it's "good to have a relation in the golf ball industry."

Pebble Beach lived up to the expectations. Course was in fantastic shape other than a temporary green on 9. I think hole 8 is one of the greatest holes I've ever played.

That front nine was the best golf I've played in my life. Somehow managed 8/9 GIRs. Only unfortunate thing is the GIR I missed was the 100 yd par 3 which I tripled. Finished +2 on the front nine. Back nine was a bit longer and the fairway bunkers came into play a bit more. Only had 2 GIRs but four 1-putts to salvage a 43. Total score of 81.

Very happy about how I played overall but the day was of course so much more than just that score. Without a doubt worth the cost.

BacktoBack or qwerty, you guys have any suggestions for a decent course around Roanoke I can play 9 at after work during the week? Looks like I'm going to be here mon-Friday for the rest of the summer at least and have to get some rounds and practice in. Any others with advice would be appreciated.

BacktoBack or qwerty, you guys have any suggestions for a decent course around Roanoke I can play 9 at after work during the week? Looks like I'm going to be here mon-Friday for the rest of the summer at least and have to get some rounds and practice in. Any others with advice would be appreciated.

I'm unfortunately 2 hours south of Roanoke. I'm pretty close to Bristol in Abingdon VA. I've only been here about a year so I'm not much help, sorry.

Played 3 rounds last week in Wilmington, Carolina National on Tuesday (had a fever, shot a 101, bad day), again on Thursday (88, much better, especially considering I'm around a 16 handicap), and Cape Fear National Friday (95, with 4 of the holes accounting for +11 of those strokes, sadly).

Have to say, Cape Fear is a fantastic course. Even with the greens having been aerated on Tuesday, they played very well, and were very very fast. I opened +7 over the first 3 holes, then was only +2 on the next 6, and sadly had an 8 on the par 4 17th. But I do feel like my game is getting closer and closer to a good consistency, just need to keep playing.

Turnberry was fucking amazing!

8940610694_3793dbfe82_b.jpg

8939996191_e87b9f2ccd_b.jpg

8938432325_2f24e32dba_b.jpg

8940789212_98a6d5c528_b.jpg

A light onshore breeze there in the first pic... Either that, or you're a 40 handicap slicer. :)

The view from the house we rented for the trip:

8938243121_e3aecc9bda_b.jpg

8937157449_f1e161f19c_b.jpg

Awesome pics. Played in the Summer Solstice yesterday at Bulle Rock. 54 holes in one day. Absolutely dumped rain on us for the first hour - most rain I've ever played golf in. Actually turned nice for an hour in the 2nd round then opened up again on us in the 3rd round. Most trying day of golf I've probably ever experienced. I will say Bulle Rock is a great course and really drains quickly, but it was just too much rain.

Weather is absolutely perfect today while I'm at work, of course.

Played 3 rounds last week in Wilmington, Carolina National on Tuesday (had a fever, shot a 101, bad day), again on Thursday (88, much better, especially considering I'm around a 16 handicap), and Cape Fear National Friday (95, with 4 of the holes accounting for +11 of those strokes, sadly).

Have to say, Cape Fear is a fantastic course. Even with the greens having been aerated on Tuesday, they played very well, and were very very fast. I opened +7 over the first 3 holes, then was only +2 on the next 6, and sadly had an 8 on the par 4 17th. But I do feel like my game is getting closer and closer to a good consistency, just need to keep playing.

Those are probably my two most played, area courses. I'm a big fan of them both.

I played yesterday for the first time in almost 2 months. I forgot how much lifting weights will fuck your swing...

Those are probably my two most played, area courses. I'm a big fan of them both.

Just out of curiosity, which do you prefer? Both are highly rated, and I've only ever played either on weekday mornings, so neither were crowded, but I preferred Cape Fear myself (despite also only having played it during Mem Day week, i.e. right after they aerate). Probably helps that it's 20 minutes closer to Figure Eight (where my family has a house). I'm afraid it'll be too cluttered/crowded once they finish up a lot of the houses going in though.

It really sucks that there aren't really any good public courses north of town, just so I could save some time...and that I can't play at Eagle Point without my dad being there.

Also, I thought Porter's Neck was semi-private, is that not the case anymore (if you know)?

Awesome pics, LK. Did you play with Brendan de Jonge?

I played yesterday for the first time in almost 2 months. I forgot how much lifting weights will fuck your swing...

messes up everything. trying to shoot a basketball after a long layoff and lifting is impossible too.

you just gotta periodically hit balls so its not such a long layoff.

messes up everything. trying to shoot a basketball after a long layoff and lifting is impossible too.

you just gotta periodically hit balls so its not such a long layoff.

My distance on my irons was still pretty solid. I hit a few 7 iron shots 175-180, I just sprayed a bunch because the muscle memory wasn't there.

Just out of curiosity, which do you prefer? Both are highly rated, and I've only ever played either on weekday mornings, so neither were crowded, but I preferred Cape Fear myself (despite also only having played it during Mem Day week, i.e. right after they aerate). Probably helps that it's 20 minutes closer to Figure Eight (where my family has a house). I'm afraid it'll be too cluttered/crowded once they finish up a lot of the houses going in though.

It really sucks that there aren't really any good public courses north of town, just so I could save some time...and that I can't play at Eagle Point without my dad being there.

Also, I thought Porter's Neck was semi-private, is that not the case anymore (if you know)?

Love Eagle Point. One time I was about 2 inches from a hole in one on #15, closest I have ever been. Also on #18, I holed it from 234 yards for an eagle after I hit a terrible hook into a trap off the tee. I saved the ball from that one since it pretty much felt like a hole in one.

Also, not sure if this has been posted on here before or not, but SkyDroid is a great yardage app for both Android and iOS. IT is only $2.99 in the Appstore and I have found that it is consistently as accurate as both the hand held and laser ones. It uses Google maps (or earth) to figure out distances and has most courses in there. If a course is not in there, you can go on their website and create the course. I added Eagle Point, Forsyth CC, and Winston Lakes a while back which were pretty easy.

I prefer Cape Fear National myself. I'm not the greatest golfer in the world (probably a 14 at the moment), so I sometimes have trouble getting off the tees but I've found that it's really not that difficult a course if you can get in the fairway. Cape Fear National's practice facilities blow Carolina National's out of the water also, in my opinion. It also helps that its only about 10 minutes from the house.

I agree about courses north of town. I don't mind Castle Bay at times, but most of the times the wind up there keeps me away. We used to play Belvedere quite a bit after work but haven't been up there in a while. As far as I know Porter's Neck has always been private, at least since I moved down in '99. I'm still working on a few leads to get onto Eagle Point for the first time.

Back