• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Just booked a vacation to play a lot of golf up in Northern Michigan over Labor Day weekend. Playing four 4.5 star, 18-hole courses (Golf Digest), and the #1 ranked par 3 course in North America. http://treetops.com/courses/

Tee Times:
8/31, 4:30pm: Tradition (Rick Smith)
9/1, 7:30am: Premier (Tom Fazio)
9/1, 12:30pm: Threetops (#1 par 3 course in N America)
9/1, 3:40pm: Signature (Rick Smith)
9/2, 8:00am: Masterpiece (Robert Trent Jones Sr.'s last course)

Sunday is going to be a hell of a day.

Anyone ever played any of these before?

Last edited:
More:
8981574204_8907577cec_z.jpg

Jesus LK, how far do you hit it? That delayed wrist action is sick.

Likewise, what sorta clubhead speed do people have with their drivers?

Awesome picture of the tourists on 17 with the group waiting in the fairway. This thread makes me jealous of y'all.

Jesus LK, how far do you hit it? That delayed wrist action is sick.

Likewise, what sorta clubhead speed do people have with their drivers?

I can move it 300 pretty easily (cant we all?). I'm consistently in the 116-118 range for club head speed.

Other big knockers that I know of on this board are BackToBack, tincup, and Sleepy.

I can move it 300 pretty easily (cant we all?). I'm consistently in the 116-118 range for club head speed.

Other big knockers that I know of on this board are BackToBack, tincup, and Sleepy.

I've had a few 300 yard drives but can't say I'm anywhere close to being able to do 300 "pretty easily" At the golf shop I was consistently in the 104 range, and that was even with trying to swing as fast as possible. Got one up to 108. I've always felt that I release my wrists entirely too early on my golf shot, but would love to actually see video of it. I'm also pretty sure because I'm flexible I go further beyond parallel with every club in the bag than I should by a ridiculous margin.

I'm there with you. Being tall, I have a long swing which creates a lot of lag. My driver club head speed is consistently around 120 +/-.

I've had a few 300 yard drives but can't say I'm anywhere close to being able to do 300 "pretty easily" At the golf shop I was consistently in the 104 range, and that was even with trying to swing as fast as possible. Got one up to 108. I've always felt that I release my wrists entirely too early on my golf shot, but would love to actually see video of it. I'm also pretty sure because I'm flexible I go further beyond parallel with every club in the bag than I should by a ridiculous margin.

that probably hurts your clubhead speed more than helping

Yeah, that is what I was implying.

I would add that trying to swing hard probably hurts your club head speed too. I bet you experimented at your golf shop and probably swung faster when not trying to. With some exceptions most tour pros don't look like they are swinging hard. Smooth acceleration and club head lag are key.

I would add that trying to swing hard probably hurts your club head speed too. I bet you experimented at your golf shop and probably swung faster when not trying to. With some exceptions most tour pros don't look like they are swinging hard. Smooth acceleration and club head lag are key.

This. Always be accelerating through the ball. Clubhead speed is about so much more than swinging hard. It's also about getting your big muscles moving in the proper direction at impact.

Also, ball speed coming off the club is hugely important. it does no good to swing 120 if you hit the side of the clubface and lose energy during impact. There are tons of tour guys who swing in the 110 range who hit the dead center of the clubface and can bomb it 320.

Just booked a vacation to play a lot of golf up in Northern Michigan over Labor Day weekend. Playing four 4.5 star, 18-hole courses (Golf Digest), and the #1 ranked par 3 course in North America. http://treetops.com/courses/

Tee Times:
8/31, 4:30pm: Tradition (Rick Smith)
9/1, 7:30am: Premier (Tom Fazio)
9/1, 12:30pm: Threetops (#1 par 3 course in N America)
9/1, 3:40pm: Signature (Rick Smith)
9/2, 8:00am: Masterpiece (Robert Trent Jones Sr.'s last course)

Sunday is going to be a hell of a day.

Anyone ever played any of these before?

Rugged Sunday schedule. If the Premier is tough and you are behind a few groups I could see you possibly missing your Threetops tee time. How close are the two courses? I'd imagine your round will take at least 4.5 hrs depending on your skill level. Either way that looks awesome and tiring :)

Rugged Sunday schedule. If the Premier is tough and you are behind a few groups I could see you possibly missing your Threetops tee time. How close are the two courses? I'd imagine your round will take at least 4.5 hrs depending on your skill level. Either way that looks awesome and tiring :)
It's a package deal and they scheduled all the tee times.

I'd imagine they are very close together, and it shouldn't be a problem missing the tee time. Grabbing lunch though, ehhh.

This. Always be accelerating through the ball. Clubhead speed is about so much more than swinging hard. It's also about getting your big muscles moving in the proper direction at impact.

Also, ball speed coming off the club is hugely important. it does no good to swing 120 if you hit the side of the clubface and lose energy during impact. There are tons of tour guys who swing in the 110 range who hit the dead center of the clubface and can bomb it 320.

I am taking some lessons down at the Dana Rader golf school in Charlotte right now, and they did some video analysis of my swing/impact. The guy that is teaching me tweaked my club head path to get a more square impact on the ball and my distance with each club increased significantly with pretty much no difference whatsoever in club head speed.

Has anyone tried the Titleist CBs? As I said before, I've been playing my current set for about 15 years and I'm thinking about upgrading.

I have been hitting CB 690s for a good number of years now. I am not one to change clubs very often but I really like them. I have probably only had 3-5 sets of irons over the past 35 years. Wilson Staff, Hogan blades, these CBs... and maybe one more I don't remember.

I am taking some lessons down at the Dana Rader golf school in Charlotte right now, and they did some video analysis of my swing/impact. The guy that is teaching me tweaked my club head path to get a more square impact on the ball and my distance with each club increased significantly with pretty much no difference whatsoever in club head speed.

Increased your smash factor.

I hit a 376 yard 3 wood yesterday at Lake Presidential. I was trying to lay back on a par 5 and hit a crossing cart path on the fly. Those Rocketballz Stage 2 woods are seriously long. I think if I got one at 8 degrees and 45" I probably would hit it much further than my current driver...

Maybe Phil's onto something...

Flew one onto a 327 yard par 4 the other day. Went about 3 feet over the head of the guy holding the flag. It was a little bit downhill/downwind, but I was in complete shock. Partly because I almost killed a guy.

Back