• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Does Colin Montgomerie wear an upper denture or have caps? They are showing him a lot hyping the Sr tour and I'm thinking it's a denture.

Question for anyone re: club fitting. In NOVA, there are obviously numerous places to get this done, but East Potomac golf course does at their driving range with a launch monitor and all that. But there are stores that do it that are rated very highly for their fittings (whatever the ratings mean). Which would be better? I've never really used a virtual system for anything, but don't people say they aren't that accurate? Plus at the range I'd actually be able to see the results physically, for better or worse. Any advice is appreciated, I should either get new clubs or get mine regripped this summer (but come on, new clubs!!!)

Heading down to Virginia Beach for the weekend and looking to play some golf on the drive home Sunday.

Anyone have recommendations for courses between VA Beach and Richmond?

Royal New Kent

Drive all the way to Charlottesville and play Spring Creek, its worth the extra time. It's going private at the end of 2013 and if its not the best course in VA I would be shocked. And I played Kinloch on Wednesday and still think Spring Creek is better.

Shot my personal best after work yesterday at Goose Creek in Leesburg. Sure, it was only a 5950 yd par 71 course from the 2nd to back tees, but I'm still proud of my 83 damnit.

My best score is 9 strokes better than my 2nd best score. I imagine that I would be quite the statistical anomaly for someone who has had a handicap under 20, what are your spreads?

My spread is one. I shot 70 once and have shot 71 I few times. Never broken 70 though. At my best I was around a 3 handicap.

My best score is 9 strokes better than my 2nd best score. I imagine that I would be quite the statistical anomaly for someone who has had a handicap under 20, what are your spreads?

My second best is a combined score from 2 separate 9s, an 85. Other than that, an 86, a couple 88s, and then a bunch in the low 90s. Recently I'd been shooting in the mid-90s, hitting pretty poorly, but my driver has straightened out some and my irons have been hitting better. My short game and putting were solid yesterday, that's what lowered my score.

Question for anyone re: club fitting. In NOVA, there are obviously numerous places to get this done, but East Potomac golf course does at their driving range with a launch monitor and all that. But there are stores that do it that are rated very highly for their fittings (whatever the ratings mean). Which would be better? I've never really used a virtual system for anything, but don't people say they aren't that accurate? Plus at the range I'd actually be able to see the results physically, for better or worse. Any advice is appreciated, I should either get new clubs or get mine regripped this summer (but come on, new clubs!!!)

I think one of the best places to go is Westfields. They have a Golf Fitting Studio there and no nets. I've never understood getting fit hitting into nets. They have a great selection of demo clubs/shafts plus trackman and flightscope. Haven't gotten fit there myself but I've heard good things.

What a funny game. Played last week and then Wednesday of this week. Solid ball striking but gave some shots away around the green. Low 80's both rounds but easily could have been 78-79. Then played yesterday and shot 87 with little clue where it was going. I need some consistency. Maybe time for a lesson. Ugh

I think one of the best places to go is Westfields. They have a Golf Fitting Studio there and no nets. I've never understood getting fit hitting into nets. They have a great selection of demo clubs/shafts plus trackman and flightscope. Haven't gotten fit there myself but I've heard good things.

East Potomac doesn't use nets either, you hit on the range there. But I've also heard Westfields is one of the best. I wonder what would make it that much better...but it's not that much farther away, maybe it's worth a shot. I'll do a bit more research, thanks for the input.

Edit: It's $100/hr, and they recommend an hour for irons and an hour for woods. Yikes. I wonder if they give a discount if you then buy the clubs there, like some stores do.

Last edited:
What a funny game. Played last week and then Wednesday of this week. Solid ball striking but gave some shots away around the green. Low 80's both rounds but easily could have been 78-79. Then played yesterday and shot 87 with little clue where it was going. I need some consistency. Maybe time for a lesson. Ugh

Yup. Hate it. Last 3 times I played I have been under 80 with every 9 under 40. Played today, and was +11 thru 6. If lighting didn't roll in and stop me from finishing, there's a good chance clubs would have been broken

Yup. Hate it. Last 3 times I played I have been under 80 with every 9 under 40. Played today, and was +11 thru 6. If lighting didn't roll in and stop me from finishing, there's a good chance clubs would have been broken

Reminds me of my all time favorite sports quote:

If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron.

-- Trevino

If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron.

-- Trevino

Yup. Every time it rains. Got an old 1-iron in the garage. Put it in the bag if it might thunderstorm just for shits and giggles

-- Trevino

My two iron is bent to one iron loft and I hit it 5-6 times a round off the tee. Shit is my favorite club in the bag and can regularity pit it out there 260-270.

Misery loves company :)

I had a 74 at grandview in winston (part 71) and I'm fairly sure my 2nd lowest round is 83, and I've shot 83-85 a million times. A little birdie-par-birdie-par-birdie stretch at grandview starting on the hole right after that goofy par 4 that has a 100 foot uphill shot for the second shot sealed it. Drove the green on the next hole on a particularly dry day that the ball rolled forever. Apparently that course is shut down now?

Back