• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Reminds me of my all time favorite sports quote:

If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron.

-- Trevino

I bought a 1 iron when I was like 13, I used that club so often, yet I never remember it once being successful. I never used woods off the ground.

Shot 84 on the Grove Park Inn course over the weekend. Would have been better if I had read the greens worth a shit.

Shot 84 on the Grove Park Inn course over the weekend. Would have been better if I had read the greens worth a shit.

I've been wanting to play there. How would you describe it? I think I played it as a kid but remember nothing about it.

I had a 74 at grandview in winston (part 71) and I'm fairly sure my 2nd lowest round is 83, and I've shot 83-85 a million times. A little birdie-par-birdie-par-birdie stretch at grandview starting on the hole right after that goofy par 4 that has a 100 foot uphill shot for the second shot sealed it. Drove the green on the next hole on a particularly dry day that the ball rolled forever. Apparently that course is shut down now?

Grandview closed 6 or 7 years ago and was plowed under for a housing development, which has been a terrible failure like any other development that started up in the later half of last decade. Developing in a flood plain wasn't very bright either.

The 2 guys that owned Grandview, Mark Hartis and Harold Kincaid, went on to win the bid to manage Reynolds Park and have done a great job since.

Virtually unknown factoid - when the city put the management of the course up for bid there was an out of state investment group that wanted to take over the course and completely renovate it. The city couldn't afford to shut the course down for any period of time because the profits from Reynolds Park subsidize the operation of Winston Lake.

I've been wanting to play there. How would you describe it? I think I played it as a kid but remember nothing about it.

Its not very long, but it is quite tight in some places. You really need to be accurate with your irons into the greens since there are a lot of multi-tiered greens and false fronts. At one point, I carried a ball 25 feet onto the green and still wound up 25 yards back down the fairway. The greens were running fairly fast when I played it, but I also really struggled reading the greens, which is usually a strong point for me.

Even though there aren't really any blind shots on the whole course, it is still a course that will really benefit people that play it multiple times

Maybe I better not play there then. :)
Thanks for the description.

East Potomac doesn't use nets either, you hit on the range there. But I've also heard Westfields is one of the best. I wonder what would make it that much better...but it's not that much farther away, maybe it's worth a shot. I'll do a bit more research, thanks for the input.

Edit: It's $100/hr, and they recommend an hour for irons and an hour for woods. Yikes. I wonder if they give a discount if you then buy the clubs there, like some stores do.

Yeah, but East Potomac is a dog track. Their fitting are geared towards beginners and are often given away for free. It's just not in the same ballpark as an actual thorough fitting. The other top fitting spot nearby is The Golf Care Center in Bethesda. They have all the toys but they use nets unfortunately. Although I'd say going there and using nets would be better than going to East Potomac.

Oh, I forgot about 1757. I don't love the course but the practice and fitting facilities are great. So that could be another option.

I know Westfields used to discount clubs purchased through fittings, not sure what the deal is now.

Yeah, but East Potomac is a dog track. Their fitting are geared towards beginners and are often given away for free. It's just not in the same ballpark as an actual thorough fitting. The other top fitting spot nearby is The Golf Care Center in Bethesda. They have all the toys but they use nets unfortunately. Although I'd say going there and using nets would be better than going to East Potomac.

Oh, I forgot about 1757. I don't love the course but the practice and fitting facilities are great. So that could be another option.

I know Westfields used to discount clubs purchased through fittings, not sure what the deal is now.

In your opinion or anyone else's here, are there places that might actually be overkill for someone with a 15 handicap (mine approximately)? I know everyone says that fittings help the higher handicappers more, but I also don't want to throw away money on a super high level PGA fitting that might not be entirely necessary, if that makes sense.

Reminds me of my all time favorite sports quote:

If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron.

-- Trevino

Ironically, since I now only play 1-3 times a year, I can't hit much worth shit, but I can still hit the hell out of my 1-iron. It's my standard layup club off the tee. 250-270 yards, and even though it's nearly a blade (Mizuno Grad MP), I hit it about as consistent as anything in my bag. Proving yet again that golf is all in your head. I know I hit it well, and thus, I hit it well.

In your opinion or anyone else's here, are there places that might actually be overkill for someone with a 15 handicap (mine approximately)? I know everyone says that fittings help the higher handicappers more, but I also don't want to throw away money on a super high level PGA fitting that might not be entirely necessary, if that makes sense.

Well, I definitely wouldn't judge worth by handicap. I know 20's who would pay $500 for a great fitting and love having the newest Matrix Ozik in their driver even if it's $400. I know scratch players who buy straight off the rack or took 3 swings off a lie board and went with it.

So really it's personal preference. If you think it'd be fun to really evaluate your swing, good or bad, and you value the confidence you'd have knowing you went all out in a fitting - then it's totally worth it.

If you know your swing is a work in progress, and that you'll be better off getting a normal setup for your height/weight/build/swing speed, then you could just hit up Ping's website and do all the measurements/estimations per the online directions and then verify with any range that has a lie board and a free fitting guy. Or wait and hit up a demo day.

My best score is 9 strokes better than my 2nd best score. I imagine that I would be quite the statistical anomaly for someone who has had a handicap under 20, what are your spreads?

I've found that my high spreads come from one 9 to another. My favorite is going out in 43 and coming back in 32. Still can't really explain that one except I just accepted that I was hitting a shitty short left push on every shot so I just played it on the back instead of trying to hit my normal L to R Draw (Lefty in the house).

I think my spread is 2. Shot 68 about 7 years ago before the state toureny my senior year. I've shot even multiple times but haven't broken par on a par 70 since. I shot a 30 one time and then didn't even play the back because I had dinner plans with a now ex-girlfriend. I still think about that round 8 years later... :rulz:

Random thought, but one of my best decisions ever was to keep several of the Golf channel's hour long Ryder Cup highlights shows on my DVR. Watching 2010 Celtic Manor right now.

Random thought, but one of my best decisions ever was to keep several of the Golf channel's hour long Ryder Cup highlights shows on my DVR. Watching 2010 Celtic Manor right now.

Just so you could see that choking bastard mahan cry again?

Just so you could see that choking bastard mahan cry again?

Meh, conveniently forgetting Mahan was down the whole match and needed to win 17 and 18 outright to get the half after GMac birdied 16. You could just as easily put the choke label on Cink for a missed four footer that would have likely meant he would have gotten a full point instead of a half against McIlroy.

Regardless, it was a heck of a Ryder Cup. I get goosebumps every time I see Overton hole out that shot and then scream "Boom baby!"

Meh, conveniently forgetting Mahan was down the whole match and needed to win 17 and 18 outright to get the half after GMac birdied 16. You could just as easily put the choke label on Cink for a missed four footer that would have likely meant he would have gotten a full point instead of a half against McIlroy.

Regardless, it was a heck of a Ryder Cup. I get goosebumps every time I see Overton hole out that shot and then scream "Boom baby!"

Didn't say Cink didn't choke, but at least Cink held back the waterworks.

Those last 2 ryder cups have just been a steel-toed boot to the groin.

You can also watch Rickie Fowler manage to play four good holes (finally!) to close out that Ryder Cup and add to the undeserved hype.

Played golf today with guy who used to teach, and after the round I got a bucket of balls and he worked with me some. I today was hitting alotta good drives but my approach shots for quite some time have been just terrible. As in I completely forgot to hit an iron for quite some time.

Lately I had been mainly just pulling the shit outta everything or pushing it out way to the right.

What he had me do was completely open my clubface at address, opposed to lining it up to the target. I also used to look at the ball when I swung and would habitually hit an inch or two behind the ball. He had me look and aim and swing out to a spot lets say 2 inches forward and two inches to the outside and swing towards there. Completely changed my swing. Was shocked that I wasn't slicing it with my clubface that open. I also naturally really open my wrists up on the backswing and had thought that was bad so was fighting that, he had me do my natural rolling of the wrists and I was just hitting it immensely better.

Are these common things that you golfers do or is it more outside the box?

Pros/teachers have all sorts of drills to help get your swing on the right plane or to make your existing move more functional. Be glad it's helped.

Anyone have any experience with Statesville country club? Have a practice round there today for tomorrow's Nc match play qualifier. From what I've heard it's short, but nothing more.

Played golf today with guy who used to teach, and after the round I got a bucket of balls and he worked with me some. I today was hitting alotta good drives but my approach shots for quite some time have been just terrible. As in I completely forgot to hit an iron for quite some time.

Lately I had been mainly just pulling the shit outta everything or pushing it out way to the right.

What he had me do was completely open my clubface at address, opposed to lining it up to the target. I also used to look at the ball when I swung and would habitually hit an inch or two behind the ball. He had me look and aim and swing out to a spot lets say 2 inches forward and two inches to the outside and swing towards there. Completely changed my swing. Was shocked that I wasn't slicing it with my clubface that open. I also naturally really open my wrists up on the backswing and had thought that was bad so was fighting that, he had me do my natural rolling of the wrists and I was just hitting it immensely better.

Are these common things that you golfers do or is it more outside the box?

Those sound like more quick fixes, ie put duck tape on it and let's get through the day fix. Longterm drills would involve fixing your plane coming through the ball. As a longtime recovering hooker, what fixed me was eliminating my tendency to swing inside out, ie hook if you flip it or push if you hold it open. Practice having your iron ending up pointing directly at the target on small chip shots with the toe up, and finishing with your chest facing towards the target. As hard as it is to do this, your plane with actually be coming in much for inside on the way down than before, and you will not hook it as much. Your finish will naturally release the club and you won't flip it as easily.

Back