• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Those sound like more quick fixes, ie put duck tape on it and let's get through the day fix. Longterm drills would involve fixing your plane coming through the ball. As a longtime recovering hooker, what fixed me was eliminating my tendency to swing inside out, ie hook if you flip it or push if you hold it open. Practice having your iron ending up pointing directly at the target on small chip shots with the toe up, and finishing with your chest facing towards the target. As hard as it is to do this, your plane with actually be coming in much for inside on the way down than before, and you will not hook it as much. Your finish will naturally release the club and you won't flip it as easily.

He suggested I get a Mag-Lite and swing with it, and the light should be pointing at the target on the backswing, on the way down, and through the finish. He said I manage to go inside and outside the plane about 4 times during my swing.

He suggested I get a Mag-Lite and swing with it, and the light should be pointing at the target on the backswing, on the way down, and through the finish. He said I manage to go inside and outside the plane about 4 times during my swing.

That could help you get a feel for the correct path, but it's hard to replicate that practice with a club. My recommendation is to use a wedge and hit 25 yard shots with your take away and follow through only getting to horizontal position. No more just yet. That way you can get a feel with hitting balls and gradually increase the swing path distance once it's in muscle memory

Played pretty well today, shot 76 and won a little money. Unfortunately I was playing with my brother who shot 66. I hate him

Played a Captain's Choice tournament at Kiskiack in Williamsburg today with a 8 handicap girl, and two guys that are probably 25+.

Huge advantage with a girl that can drive it 200 but still played very well to help us get shoot a 60 and tie for first. Definitely helps when you start the day birdie-eagle and finish the day eagle-birdie.

Played a Captain's Choice tournament at Kiskiack in Williamsburg today with a 8 handicap girl, and two guys that are probably 25+.

Huge advantage with a girl that can drive it 200 but still played very well to help us get shoot a 60 and tie for first. Definitely helps when you start the day birdie-eagle and finish the day eagle-birdie.

Well done. That's basically a 60 as a twosome. I bet you used like one shot of the 25+ guys.

Well done. That's basically a 60 as a twosome. I bet you used like one shot of the 25+ guys.
Yeah, pretty much. The worst is they were the 25+ that off the tee weren't able to keep it in play. Thus, I would go first of the guys with the goal of just putting it out there at 250-270, allowing her to just go big with her driver, already 50-100 yards ahead of our tees.

Off the tee: a very nice shot on a 181 par 3 from Guy 1 and one drive off cart path from Guy 2

Definitely didn't use any approaches from Guy 1, and probably used one or two from Guy 2

Putting seemed fairly balanced but the girl went 3rd and I went last. She sank a couple 10 footers and I had two nice 15-20 footers.

Last edited:
Today's the last day to register for the ballot for tickets to the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles next year.

I am tempted, as it's a bucket list item for me, but holy shit is it expensive. Also, you have to do a photo registration to be able to get tickets, and it claims the tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable. Does that mean there is no secondary market for tickets? Seems impossible.

Today's the last day to register for the ballot for tickets to the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles next year.

I am tempted, as it's a bucket list item for me, but holy shit is it expensive. Also, you have to do a photo registration to be able to get tickets, and it claims the tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable. Does that mean there is no secondary market for tickets? Seems impossible.
Yeah, and Minnesota for the 2016 Ryder Cup.

Maybe I'll just wait for 2020 and go to Whistling Straits.

I've been playing ping eye 2s since I hit puberty and recently took a trip where I had to rent clubs. I think they were G5s, and man did they feel good compared to my old irons. Should I go ahead and get them, or should I sack up and get something newer/more expensive/bladed? I shoot in the 80s, high swing speed, can shape the ball but usually just play a straight shot/little fade, except with long irons, which I use a lot off the tee with a low draw. I'd keep my old 3 in the bag even if I did get a new set. Anyway, fire away. By the way here's a pic of where I went: 17th tee at Castletown Golf Links on the Isle of Man. Amazing.

28.jpg

I've been playing ping eye 2s since I hit puberty and recently took a trip where I had to rent clubs. I think they were G5s, and man did they feel good compared to my old irons. Should I go ahead and get them, or should I sack up and get something newer/more expensive/bladed? I shoot in the 80s, high swing speed, can shape the ball but usually just play a straight shot/little fade, except with long irons, which I use a lot off the tee with a low draw. I'd keep my old 3 in the bag even if I did get a new set. Anyway, fire away. By the way here's a pic of where I went: 17th tee at Castletown Golf Links on the Isle of Man. Amazing.

If you think you could tell on a simulator, it wouldn't hurt to go to Dick's or somewhere and hit some other clubs. Who knows, you might find other ones you like even more. I'm planning on getting fitted myself (I'm sure I've been saying that forever), but stupid wedding planning and surgery and recovery time keeps getting in the way...I just hope I play well this and next weekend, after that I should have some time to get new clubs.

I'm 35. Had the same clubs since high school until the last year. Went ahead and ended up getting an entirely new set. I wanted to get fit but just didn't do it for whatever reason. Anyway, the advances in technology since then have been amazing. Pine Eye2 is a terrific and classic set of clubs, but things have gotten oh so much better. In terms of getting blades or not, it somewhat depends on your game. Do you shot in the 80's because you give up shots around the green or are you wild with your irons? I'm a ten handicap and don't think my game is good enough for blades. I have a high swing speed. I need the forgiveness of cavity back or forged clubs. You're game may be very different than mine. Do you like to work the ball a lot? Cavity back clubs struggle in that department but the blade/forged are more your answer.

Anyone ever had any experiences buying from GigaGolf.com? I generally buy the brand names, but had a friend ask me to check out the site and see what I thought. Doesn't look too bad for knockoffs to me. Just wondering if anyone has any hands on experience with any of their clubs.

my dad was in a pro-am today and was in a foursome with Stuart Cink... pretty rad.

My guess would be no, unless he had a magical round.

Back