• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Man, I'm playing fairly well and hitting great at the range, and of course when I go out to play with my dad (who is good) and my future father-in-law (who isn't particularly good), I just play like complete shit. I just want to beat my dad someday!

aww, mom just sent me a picture of dad and cink. dad has a bigger/better smile in this picture than he's had in just about any photo i've ever seen. adorable.

ETA: and dad's wearing a WF polo. nice!

Last edited:
aww, mom just sent me a picture of dad and cink. dad has a bigger/better smile in this picture than he's had in just about any photo i've ever seen. adorable.

ETA: and dad's wearing a WF polo. nice!

That's awesome! Not many people can claim to have played golf with a major champion.

Played Aberdeen in MYB this weekend

Birdied 3 and chipped in for birdie on 4 to carry a score of -2 into 14. Proceeded to bogey 4 out of the last 5.

Playing the newly renovated Old Town tomorrow with Numbers. Can't wait to see how it looks after all the changes.

Playing the newly renovated Old Town tomorrow with Numbers. Can't wait to see how it looks after all the changes.

Play the tips. I've heard it's a MUCH harder driving course from the back tees now.

If someone wants to help a poor man get on Old Town, that'd be great. I walked it many times as a caddy in high school, never got to play.

My putting inside of 10ft is atrocious right now. Everything else is OK.

I need some advice for my dad because I REALLY want to see him break 100. His short game is good but his distance is sad; he has no physical limitations but he can only drive the ball 150yds max (most are in the 100yd range). Also he can only hit his long irons 100yds max so he gets screwed on long holes. He only takes the driver halfway back because - as he says - when he takes it all the way back "it gets ugly".

My putting inside of 10ft is atrocious right now. Everything else is OK.

I need some advice for my dad because I REALLY want to see him break 100. His short game is good but his distance is sad; he has no physical limitations but he can only drive the ball 150yds max (most are in the 100yd range). Also he can only hit his long irons 100yds max so he gets screwed on long holes. He only takes the driver halfway back because - as he says - when he takes it all the way back "it gets ugly".

Buy him some lessons.

if he's not already, he should be playing from the forward tees until he can drive the ball 200+ yards

eta I had a friend pick up golf 2 years ago from scratch, he's 27 now. He was hating it but wanted to play because his friends/coworkers did. Finally convinced him it was ok to start out from the reds and he had way more fun, learned faster and moved up to the whites in 1 summer.

Last edited:
Anybody want to play tomorrow or Friday in winston. I can play anytime. All of my friends have gone to exotic places and I don't have school this week.

Shot 81 today at oak valley. I went 5 over on the last four. I've never broken 80. I kinda want to cry

This is not a signature

Old Town's changes are incredible. The course was already a lot of fun to play and a great challenge, but the changes they made were both practical and aesthetic. I think all in all they added nine bunkers, but the best part was going back to a little bit of an older design (more along the Maxwell plan) and reshaping/redesigning all the bunkers. They combined some bunkers, extended some bunkers, and really changed the way a few holes play.

Played from the blues (fourth set of five tees) on Wednesday since it was the first time I'd played in about three months (only the second time in a year). Started off a little rough at +4 through four holes, but ended up righting the ship and going 40-40 for an 80. I was pretty happy with the way I played but I played the two par fives in +4. Doubling number four is pretty bad since it's a straightforward par 5, but I put my second shot in the trees when I was laying up and then three putted from 35 feet. I had forgotten how quick OTC's greens get in the summer. Easily rolling an 11, maybe up to a 12 or a 13 by the end of the day when the greens were a little more baked out.

The changes to 8 and 17 are fantastic. The greens have always been connected, but the new green is just absolutely massive. The 8th really needed some changes because it was just too easy - a very straightforward par 4. They added a couple bunkers between the two holes right where guys land it, and yesterday I hit it over there and was three inches from the lip, had no choice but to blast out.

Played from the tips yesterday to see how much longer the course actually played. It's up to 7,037 yards now which feels like a beast for a par 70. The front side plays substantially longer from the blacks than the blues. A few tees are from the some area, but the 5th hole has the tees probably 30 yards farther back making it more difficult to cut the dogleg...it probably requires about a 230 carry to get it to the flat area 115-120 yards from the green. Doofus drove it into a new bunker from the blacks which was probably about a 255 yard carry and had no option but to blast out as well.

The maintenance to the trees and rough has been fantastic as they took down a few trees and trimmed the limbs so that angles were better. The par 5 17th was also extended an extra 30 yards and now plays 630 from the tips. It's about a 225-230 yard carry just to get over the creek. I hit about a 240 yard drive, hit a bad three wood off the bottom for my second shot, and had 240 yards in over a creek, laid up and then put it on the green to two-putt for a bogey.

Went out in 42 on the front side and was four over through four again, but shot a 37 on the back to come in with a 79 even with a double bogey on 12 after losing my tee shot. I was pretty happy with the round.

The course is just fantastic now. I can't wait for the new slope and ratings calculation, I would suspect it's going to be ridiculous from the tips.

I have a hunch we will be hearing about a decent golf tournament being held at OTC in the near future.

I think I just recently realized that I've been playing with a really bad grip for a really long time. The internet and youtube videos can be amazing. I pretty much hold the club along the 4 inner knuckles on my left hand, resulting in a hugely strong grip (can see all 4 knuckles) and my "V" not pointing to my right shoulder but to like 3 yards right of that.

Do people really grip the club with a good grip sorta diagonalish so its more in your palm and touching the first knuckle of the index finger?

That's awesome! Not many people can claim to have played golf with a major champion.

When I was working greenside on Thursday, Cink almost drilled me with his approach shot. Had to move the ropes and stuff for him. He actually hit a pretty sweet lob shot to a short-sided pin and made the putt.

7000 yards, par 70 is going to be a solid test from back there, especially with the new fairway bunkering.

I'd love it. It'll probably kick my ass but I want to give it a go.

It'll play long if I hit my driver like that tee shot on #10 last fall :thumbsup:

Back