• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I'd love it. It'll probably kick my ass but I want to give it a go.

It'll play long if I hit my driver like that tee shot on #10 last fall :thumbsup:

Some of the fairways at OTC might be impossible to miss now.

Local/Regional, or National? Thinking the USGA might be giving them a look?

I think they've approached the USGA about an event. I think it would be a fine course for a US Women's Am, US Senior Am, or maybe a US Junior Am.

I know the CGA would chew off their arm to host a major there.

My dad thinks a lot of members would raise hell if the course was closed that long. When it's hosted qualifiers in the past a lot of people have complained. Assholes.

It's tough to miss some of the fairways, agreed. They added something like 20 acres of fairway.

I think I just recently realized that I've been playing with a really bad grip for a really long time. The internet and youtube videos can be amazing. I pretty much hold the club along the 4 inner knuckles on my left hand, resulting in a hugely strong grip (can see all 4 knuckles) and my "V" not pointing to my right shoulder but to like 3 yards right of that.

Do people really grip the club with a good grip sorta diagonalish so its more in your palm and touching the first knuckle of the index finger?

Seriously, no one? Fuck this thread, you all suck

LK, want to give me some golf lessons when I come down to Winston this fall?

Seriously, no one? Fuck this thread, you all suck

I grip it the "correct" way you described. It does feel way too strong to put the grip straight down my first knuckles. Basically, I've got it in my first knuckle of my index finger, and kind of right under my fingernail on my pinky.

I grip the club in my palm like you said the "correct" way is. A good start would probably just be to weaken your grip and go from there. Do you hook the ball a lot?

Any help for my wedges?

I'm working on distance control. I'm 6'3". When I grip down for a less than full shot, I have a tendency to catch it thin on occasion. I've tried to stay down better by holding my knee flex, but that makes for an armsy swing that is unpredictable for me. I've considered just shortening my backswing for less than full shots and not grip down. Thoughts?

Any help for my wedges?

I'm working on distance control. I'm 6'3". When I grip down for a less than full shot, I have a tendency to catch it thin on occasion. I've tried to stay down better by holding my knee flex, but that makes for an armsy swing that is unpredictable for me. I've considered just shortening my backswing for less than full shots and not grip down. Thoughts?

Definitely the latter - no need to grip down for half or three-quarter shots. Shorten the backswing and make sure you still accelerate through the ball for crisp contact.

Definitely the latter - no need to grip down for half or three-quarter shots. Shorten the backswing and make sure you still accelerate through the ball for crisp contact.

Thanks. I figured as much but wanted some validation. Pos rep when I get to a computer.

Any help for my wedges?

Put more weight on your left side and turn your torso and shoulders rather than swinging your arms. This will help you shorten your swing.

Put more weight on your left side and turn your torso and shoulders rather than swinging your arms. This will help you shorten your swing.

This. Just keep your hands in front of the ball and in front of your chest and you'll come down with the hands leading the club through impact and get nice crisp contact.

You also may want to look at getting your lie angle checked on your wedges. You likely need to have them bent a couple degrees upright.

LOL, I guess this is what happens when you only play 2-4 times a year. Played Fort Mill Golf Club today. Started off with 5 pars. Ended up with 11 total pars, 17 putts and was still 18 over. :rofl:

For those counting at home, a triple and a +6 on the two back nine par 5's will do wonders for your score. On the plus side, besides 4-5 holes where it all went to shit, I had a pretty decent round.

You only play 2-4 times per year and get 11 pars?

I'd be willing to wager the Wake Forest student body has the lowest handicap of anyone in the country. I remember it being ridiculous at Wake, scratch Club teams, I mean I played on my HS team all 4 years and was always the worst golfer in our group, amongst any serious golfers.

I still think there's probably no one out there who has shot a sub 75 round who's 2nd best round is 11 over. Meaning I've had my day in the sun, never going to top that one.

Back