• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Wedge tip seemed helpful. Played tonight after work. Made double on two easy par 4s and shot 78. My second lowest number of the season. Birdied three of four par 5s. It will go downhill from here but it's nice shooting in the 70s.

You only play 2-4 times per year and get 11 pars?

I'd be willing to wager the Wake Forest student body has the lowest handicap of anyone in the country. I remember it being ridiculous at Wake, scratch Club teams, I mean I played on my HS team all 4 years and was always the worst golfer in our group, amongst any serious golfers.
Friend was a 1 or 2 handicap and didn't make club team at Wake.

You only play 2-4 times per year and get 11 pars?

Yeah, it's nice to know I sort of still know what I'm doing...save for those holes where I blast 2 balls OB off the tee (with an iron). Hell, of those 11, only 2 were par saves, so I was playing pretty great golf. 9 over on the two back nine Par 5's hurt a bit.

Yeah, I just checked with him and had it wrong.

He tried out for the actual team as a walk-on but didn't make it. Shot a 2-under at club tryouts and made it easily. He says worst person on the club team usually would shoot low-80s, maybe higher.

Yea, I was a 0 - 1 handicap out of HS and tried to walk on the team at Wake - didn't even come close to making the team - they didn't take any walk-ons out of tryouts. Of course, I didn't play well during tryouts - they didn't happen until like 6 weeks into school and I was taking 20 credits so basically didn't play. My priorities were way out of whack - I never had a chance.

Yea, I was a 0 - 1 handicap out of HS and tried to walk on the team at Wake - didn't even come close to making the team - they didn't take any walk-ons out of tryouts. Of course, I didn't play well during tryouts - they didn't happen until like 6 weeks into school and I was taking 20 credits so basically didn't play. My priorities were way out of whack - I never had a chance.

I believe LK had a similar experience as did another friend of ours at Wake around the same time with similar skills. We aren't what we used to be in golf but it's still extremely impressive to play division 1 college golf, especially at a place like Wake.

Last edited:
Yeah, I tried out for the club Sophmore year and blew up on the 18th hole and shot like a 87 or 91 or something and missed the cut by 1 stroke.

The crown on my R11s completely caved in and cracked when hitting balls on the range. Just a normal hit and it busted. I called the golf shop where I bought it and the guy told me it was under warranty (2 year warranty). He calls Taylormade, calls me back, and says they don't manufacture the R11s anymore, how's a new R1 sound? So that worked out pretty well for me.

Wish I would have played when I was in college as definitely would have enjoyed playing competitive matches on a regular basis. Don't really get too many chances like that, especially with little to no real world obligations.

The crown on my R11s completely caved in and cracked when hitting balls on the range. Just a normal hit and it busted. I called the golf shop where I bought it and the guy told me it was under warranty (2 year warranty). He calls Taylormade, calls me back, and says they don't manufacture the R11s anymore, how's a new R1 sound? So that worked out pretty well for me.

People do say that Taylormade has fantastic customer service, though I've never dealt with it. Lucky you!

Played yesterday and shot a pretty good (for me) 43 on the front, then a nice awful 49 on the back. I think I was just getting tired from walking 18 (which I don't do often, since I'm in NoVA and most courses don't even let you), I need to get in better shape.

Wish I would have played when I was in college as definitely would have enjoyed playing competitive matches on a regular basis. Don't really get too many chances like that, especially with little to no real world obligations.

It's actually a good thing I didn't make the team (As if I ever had a chance), I almost certainly would have flunked out.

I believe LK had a similar experience as did another friend of ours at Wake around the same time with similar skills. We aren't what we used to be in golf but it's still extremely impressive to play division 1 college golf, especially at a place like Wake.

I never even got my cart out of the barn with respect to trying out. Coach Lewis decided not to have any tryouts back when I was coming into college.

I've played a ton of golf with people who placed at various colleges, and the talent gap is pretty significant between the lower tier college players and most recreational 0 handicappers.

I've played a ton of golf with people who placed at various colleges, and the talent gap is pretty significant between the lower tier college players and most recreational 0 handicappers.

College players are definitely more competition-savvy and typically more immune to pressure, simply because they play so much more competitive golf than the recreational guys. But, scratch is scratch, pretty much (unless you include the ego scratch guys who only post their best scores).

College players are definitely more competition-savvy and typically more immune to pressure, simply because they play so much more competitive golf than the recreational guys. But, scratch is scratch, pretty much (unless you include the ego scratch guys who only post their best scores).

Ehh there is a big difference in being scratch and playing in competitions/tourneys that ACC caliber folders play from and being scratch on Saturday/Sunday in your clubs gangsome. I'd put the difference at 5-8 strokes difference between a tourney scratch golfer and your recreational scratch golfer.

Ehh there is a big difference in being scratch and playing in competitions/tourneys that ACC caliber folders play from and being scratch on Saturday/Sunday in your clubs gangsome. I'd put the difference at 5-8 strokes difference between a tourney scratch golfer and your recreational scratch golfer.

I think we are talking past each other... To me, 'scratch' means a 0 handicap. These ACC caliber golfers you are talking about are likely better than that. Hell, there are probably 10 golfers at my club in their forties or older that are better than 0 - maybe more.

So, yea, an ACC-caliber college golfer who is battle-hardened (and thus good enough to actually play on his team) is likely several shots better than a 0 handicap recreational player. But, a recreational 0 and a college 0 are going to be competitive, by the definition of the handicap system. The college guy probably has an edge just because he plays more competition - that was my point.

I think Tau was saying the scratch golfers at the college level are legitimate scratch golfers since they're recording scores from tournaments and whatnot.

Back