• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Got fitted tonight and ordered a new set of Mizuno JPX-EZs. Make fun of the name, but I was hitting the 6I 10-15 yds farther on average than my R7, and much straighter much more consistently (not that surprising for game-improvement irons though). Hopefully all of the clubs are that good when I get them in 1-2 weeks. Now I just need to replace the sandwedge I'll lose from my R7 set...

I've had a set of Mizuno MX-20s for about 11 years and I still love them. I don't know how their newer irons are but these have been outstanding. I love the workability of the forged but they still have some forgiveness. I have a very high ball flight and it doesn't hurt that these are very long.

I've had a set of Mizuno MX-20s for about 11 years and I still love them. I don't know how their newer irons are but these have been outstanding. I love the workability of the forged but they still have some forgiveness. I have a very high ball flight and it doesn't hurt that these are very long.

Mine aren't the forged ones, so I imagine I won't be able to work the ball as much, but they'll obviously be more forgiving, which doesn't hurt a mid handicapper like myself!

Played at Laurel Ridge in Waynesville this weekend. Slope of 146 from the tips. Some holes were a little gimmicky for my taste.

First pic is epic downhill par 4. ~ 420 yards. I hit hybrid and had 80 yards in. Hard to pick clubs on holes like that.

Second pic is a nearly straight downhill par 5 with blind tee shot. Too gimmicky for me. Pounded a drive about 330. Downhill lie. No reward for a good tee shot. Really no flat part of fairway anywhere. Lame.

An "away" course when I played in hs was one of those dumb mountain courses with no place to land the ball and stupid elevation changes and eternally muddy "valley" holes. The worst was a blind drive to a fairway that was so sloped the ball would not stay on any part of it unless it was really wet. The 150 stake ( the target bc the shot was blind) was in the rough to the side of the fairway. The 80 yard mountain cliff par 3 produced a plugged ball 100% of the time. And most missed fairways caused the ball to careen down the mountain into the woods. But no worry because all the par 4s were 315 yards so you could hit 6 iron just to try to keep your drive in play. Just dumb.

So yes, long rant to say I'm with you in not liking gimmicky mountain courses.

There are several nice courses in the Wilmington area. Most of the nicest are private though. As far as public there is Cape Fear National, Magnolia Greens, Beau Rivage, the Muni, etc. All are pretty affordable and fun to play.

Played the Muni today...can definitely tell its a Donald Ross course with the elevated and crowned greens. The upkeep was clearly that of a muni but it was a fun layout and the condition wasn't too bad.

Headed to Scotland to cross it off the bucket list with a group next week. Temps are looking better than we expected when we booked the trip, I still have packing concerns on what to bring, and suggestions appreciated.

Headed to Scotland to cross it off the bucket list with a group next week. Temps are looking better than we expected when we booked the trip, I still have packing concerns on what to bring, and suggestions appreciated.

Pack for any possible type of weather. Bring layers. Short sleeves, long sleeve pullovers, rain gear, sweaters. Shorts and pants.

Sleepy managed to get away with bringing something like 2-3 pairs of pants and 3-4 shirts and just did laundry every few days. He fit all his clothes in a carry on.

Sun screen
lip balm
Compression Shorts (personal preference when walking so many rounds in a row)
2 pairs of shoes (in case one gets wet)
Buy your own golf balls here and take them in your suitcase. Balls cost more over there.
Power converters

Thanks LK! I appreciate the reminder of the lip balm and everyone says the same thing about the compression shorts.
Pack for any possible type of weather. Bring layers. Short sleeves, long sleeve pullovers, rain gear, sweaters. Shorts and pants.

Sleepy managed to get away with bringing something like 2-3 pairs of pants and 3-4 shirts and just did laundry every few days. He fit all his clothes in a carry on.

Sun screen
lip balm
Compression Shorts (personal preference when walking so many rounds in a row)
2 pairs of shoes (in case one gets wet)
Buy your own golf balls here and take them in your suitcase. Balls cost more over there.
Power converters

Anybody here played Biltmore Forest in Asheville? Playing 9 there tomorrow afternoon and 18 Saturday morning. I know nothing about it other than it's a Donald Ross track.

Wanted to bump this thread with my New Year's Day drinking game since I'm still drunk and managed to dunk my last shot on 18 from 30 yards out to come in with a stunning 89

Bunch of 6-12 handicappers go to a shitty public course and make a drinking game out of golf. Get an 18 pack of beer and a 5th of the likker of your choosing

Rules are:
Shotgun a beer on the 1st tee to determine honors

Eagle: everyone in your group takes a shot
Birdie: choose 1 person in your group to take a shot
Par: nothing happens
Bogey: finish your beer before the next tee
Double bogey: finish your beer and take a shot before the next tee
Triple bogey: finish your beer and take 2 shots before the next tee
Etc....

I've been tasked with setting up a practice area in a warehouse. The space I have to play with is about 75 ft X 25 ft

There is nothing even remotely breakable in sight.

Any suggestions on a putting surface/chipping area/driving range net setup?

Is a simulator something worth looking into? Budget is a factor, but maybe not a limitation if the idea for the space is solid enough.

ETA:

I kinda like the look of this thing. I would probably be modifying the hitting mat a bit, though. The guys in the video immediately having to stop the ball from rolling back past them looks tedious.

This would still leave me with the putting/chipping area thing to figure out.

Last edited:
I've been tasked with setting up a practice area in a warehouse. The space I have to play with is about 75 ft X 25 ft

There is nothing even remotely breakable in sight.

Any suggestions on a putting surface/chipping area/driving range net setup?

Is a simulator something worth looking into? Budget is a factor, but maybe not a limitation if the idea for the space is solid enough.

ETA:

I kinda like the look of this thing. I would probably be modifying the hitting mat a bit, though. The guys in the video immediately having to stop the ball from rolling back past them looks tedious.

This would still leave me with the putting/chipping area thing to figure out.

Go check out the indoor shortgame area at a PGA Tour Superstore.

And you should absolutely put a golf sim in there.

I've decided to buy me some new wedges. I've settled in on the Titleist wedges, but I'm open to suggestions. Does anyone have any recommendations, advice, warnings, etc. about the oil can or black nickel finishes?

How good of a golfer are you? It might help you decide the loft and bounce you want to get. I have a vokey 56 for SW and 60 for LW. I've never had a 64 degree wedge but have considered getting one.
I don't think the finish matters- personal preference. I've had great luck getting stuff from e bay. Use a reputable buyer and you can find great deals.

How good of a golfer are you? It might help you decide the loft and bounce you want to get. I have a vokey 56 for SW and 60 for LW. I've never had a 64 degree wedge but have considered getting one.
I don't think the finish matters- personal preference. I've had great luck getting stuff from e bay. Use a reputable buyer and you can find great deals.

I don't have a real handicap, but probably about an 8. I've decided over the winter about the lofts and bounce I want. I've decided to go with two wedges, instead of the three I've carried for years. I seldom used the gap wedge I had, so I've decided to scrap it, re-gap my wedges and add a hybrid.

Is that the wedge you used to skull the green side bunker shot at Turtle Point about 120 yards?

udu7aqe9.jpg

Is that the wedge you used to skull the green side bunker shot at Turtle Point about 120 yards?

udu7aqe9.jpg

Wish you'd gotten a picture of Brandon's 1 iron breaking on that one tee shot. I thought he was going to cry.

Back