• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I don't have a real handicap, but probably about an 8. I've decided over the winter about the lofts and bounce I want. I've decided to go with two wedges, instead of the three I've carried for years. I seldom used the gap wedge I had, so I've decided to scrap it, re-gap my wedges and add a hybrid.

I've got the black nickel and I like them a lot. No glare, but they will look very worn after only a few months of use.

Is that the wedge you used to skull the green side bunker shot at Turtle Point about 120 yards?

udu7aqe9.jpg

8938390757_db23bf2b1b_z.jpg

8938386845_5e4f7234a3_c.jpg

8938385131_90037d9d8f_c.jpg

;)

Stupid caddie insisted that I'd be able to get that out. After 3 or 4 (or 5 or 6) attempts, I conceded the hole. Picked up my ball, and throw it toward the hole and made it.

Stupid caddie insisted that I'd be able to get that out. After 3 or 4 (or 5 or 6) attempts, I conceded the hole. Picked up my ball, and throw it toward the hole and made it.

Did he have money riding on your opponent?

I'm glad nobody had a camera when I got stuck in a pot bunker the first day at the Old Course. Took me 3 to get out and I made a triple.

I don't have a real handicap, but probably about an 8. I've decided over the winter about the lofts and bounce I want. I've decided to go with two wedges, instead of the three I've carried for years. I seldom used the gap wedge I had, so I've decided to scrap it, re-gap my wedges and add a hybrid.

I used to carry a 56 and 60, but last year moved to a 52/58 combo and I've really liked it. I have a pretty high swing speed and tend to hit everything really high, so for a 100 yard shot, hitting a lower three-quarter 52 degree has really helped my control and taken some spin off (I used to spin it way too much from 100 yards). The problem with the change is I used to use my high bounce 56 from the sand and a low bounce 60 for around the green and for lobs/flops, but in the new setup the 58 has to be the sand wedge. The Titleist 58.12 has a default M grind which reduces the camber, essentially it allows you to open up the face and keep the leading edge low. For me, it means a standard bunker shot has plenty of bounce and comes out nice and soft, but you can open it up for a flop as well.

So old days - 140 PW, 125 3/4 PW, 100 yards was a hard 56, and 80 was a hard 60. Both those wedge numbers tended to go too high and spin too much. Now it's 140yd PW, 115yd 52, 100yd 3/4 52, 85 is the 58. And I hit basically every shot around the green with the 58 minus a bump and run.

For me, it's simplified my options and I've found that taking a little off the 52 is much easier than trying to hit a 56 harder for a 100 yard shot. Can't go wrong with Vokeys - fantastic wedges.

I used to carry a 56 and 60, but last year moved to a 52/58 combo and I've really liked it. I have a pretty high swing speed and tend to hit everything really high, so for a 100 yard shot, hitting a lower three-quarter 52 degree has really helped my control and taken some spin off (I used to spin it way too much from 100 yards). The problem with the change is I used to use my high bounce 56 from the sand and a low bounce 60 for around the green and for lobs/flops, but in the new setup the 58 has to be the sand wedge. The Titleist 58.12 has a default M grind which reduces the camber, essentially it allows you to open up the face and keep the leading edge low. For me, it means a standard bunker shot has plenty of bounce and comes out nice and soft, but you can open it up for a flop as well.

So old days - 140 PW, 125 3/4 PW, 100 yards was a hard 56, and 80 was a hard 60. Both those wedge numbers tended to go too high and spin too much. Now it's 140yd PW, 115yd 52, 100yd 3/4 52, 85 is the 58. And I hit basically every shot around the green with the 58 minus a bump and run.

For me, it's simplified my options and I've found that taking a little off the 52 is much easier than trying to hit a 56 harder for a 100 yard shot. Can't go wrong with Vokeys - fantastic wedges.

Interesting. I've never really liked my 52/56/60 combo but I've stuck with it because I've had it since the day "lob" wedges became a thing. Our distances are similar and I tend to hit it high. I almost never pull the 60 out of the bag. I might have to look at switching it up.

Vokey SM5's come out in March as well, so might be best to wait a bit. They're getting great reviews.

Vokey SM5's come out in March as well, so might be best to wait a bit. They're getting great reviews.

Or you could get the older version for cheaper. They are great wedges, not sure the average player would notice much with the new generation, but who knows?

Right. I didn't necessarily mean everyone should get the new ones - but the older ones will drop in price. It's cold most places now, so waiting either way might be a good move.

Personally I'm just waiting until it warms up enough to hit enough balls to pick out my new setup for the 714 AP2's...

Right. I didn't necessarily mean everyone should get the new ones - but the older ones will drop in price. It's cold most places now, so waiting either way might be a good move.

Personally I'm just waiting until it warms up enough to hit enough balls to pick out my new setup for the 714 AP2's...

We are likely getting a Titleist fitting system at our club this spring and I'm sitting on about $500 in shop credit to put towards new irons. Pumped!

We are likely getting a Titleist fitting system at our club this spring and I'm sitting on about $500 in shop credit to put towards new irons. Pumped!

Post your feedback if you hit them before me. I want to hit them with the c-tapers and kbs tours but not sure they'll have them. Probably will stick with the stock x100's but you never know.

At least the driver is on lock-down for the year. SLDR isn't going anywhere.

Post your feedback if you hit them before me. I want to hit them with the c-tapers and kbs tours but not sure they'll have them. Probably will stick with the stock x100's but you never know.

At least the driver is on lock-down for the year. SLDR isn't going anywhere.

Until I find something that gives me a higher ball speed than the 910 D2 with Diamana X whiteboard I've got, I won't be switching drivers.

Until I find something that gives me a higher ball speed than the 910 D2 with Diamana X whiteboard I've got, I won't be switching drivers.

I played a D3 forever... But the SLDR is money. I have a Myazaki Asher in it and it is really nice. First driver to really keep ball flight down for me. I don't even mess with the slider part of the club - it's just the weight distribution and face setup that are good.

What's the deal with this new 500$ Callaway gravity driver?

Looking to get a whole new set of clubs for the first time. Told myself when I became a single digit handicap, I'd go all out. Been predominantly using the same clubs I started with in 2010 so this is all new.

Where do I start? Best sites for research? Best places to get fitted? Any and all advice appreciated.

Looking to get a whole new set of clubs for the first time. Told myself when I became a single digit handicap, I'd go all out. Been predominantly using the same clubs I started with in 2010 so this is all new.

Where do I start? Best sites for research? Best places to get fitted? Any and all advice appreciated.

If you're going "all out", buy something other than an off-the-rack set for sure. I personally love Mizuno's and would recommend you look around for a fitter to try some out. They are often the club played by Pros who aren't paid to play something else. MP14's are what Tiger had Nike copy when he signed his contract IIRC. They offer lots of shafts, etc.

Back