• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Got fitted tonight and ordered a new set of Mizuno JPX-EZs. Make fun of the name, but I was hitting the 6I 10-15 yds farther on average than my R7, and much straighter much more consistently (not that surprising for game-improvement irons though). Hopefully all of the clubs are that good when I get them in 1-2 weeks. Now I just need to replace the sandwedge I'll lose from my R7 set...

I hit the JPX-Ez's at a Demo day a couple of months ago. I remember really liking them.

If you're going "all out", buy something other than an off-the-rack set for sure. I personally love Mizuno's and would recommend you look around for a fitter to try some out. They are often the club played by Pros who aren't paid to play something else. MP14's are what Tiger had Nike copy when he signed his contract IIRC. They offer lots of shafts, etc.

Tiger's original Nike clubs were copies of the Titleist blades he had been playing.

Tiger's original Nike clubs were copies of the Titleist blades he had been playing.

Ahh, that's right. The other "real" club manufacturer. :)

I'm still a sucker for forged bladeish clubs even if I don't play enough anymore to hit them well.

Did a little digging. Tiger played Mizuno as an Amateur, then had Titelist copy them when he signed a Pro contract. I was misremembering Nike as his first pro contract.

Titleist and mizuno make great clubs. If I were going all out I'd try those two with your pro on the range and see what you like. I'd get Taylor made driver. All out would be slider. Woods maybe T made rocket ballsz Putter: Scotty Cameron. Wedges: vokey

Check the golf digest hot equipment issue or golf magazine.

The SLDR driver is filthy good. Anytime you see that many pros switch at once, it's a big deal. The new "thing" in equipment is high loft on your driver. A year ago only 2-3 PGA Tour players showed up for the west coast events with double digit lofts on their driver. This year 40+ did. This is like the year the ProV1 came out or the Titleist 983 driver where guys were picking up 20-30 yards instantly.

See if you can find a demo day at your club or the local range and try out multiple sets of irons.

I hit the SLDR once and it was immediately in my bag. Not right for everyone, but it's a phenomenal driver. What's funny is the actual slider part is fairly pointless.

The G25 is a great driver but Ping lofts run high and the stock shafts tend to spin the ball too much. If you go that route, get fitted for the shaft and order the loft by results not by the number on the head.

I hit the SLDR once and it was immediately in my bag. Not right for everyone, but it's a phenomenal driver. What's funny is the actual slider part is fairly pointless.

The G25 is a great driver but Ping lofts run high and the stock shafts tend to spin the ball too much. If you go that route, get fitted for the shaft and order the loft by results not by the number on the head.

Did you do a before and after on the launch monitor? I heard stories of guys adding 3-4 degrees to their launch angle, with the same or less backspin. That is a recipe for a massive distance increase assuming all other factors (ball speed, smash factor) are the same.

I'm not out for any extra distance, but this could be too big of a jump to pass up.

I'm also in the market for new irons, and am pretty sold on the AP2s.

The AP2s have the best feel and feedback of any irons I've ever hit and they are in my bag. When you hit it clean the sound and feel is amazing. Definitely give the AP1s a try though, especially if you're above a 10 handicap and hit more than ~20% of your shots imperfectly. I almost wish I'd gone with the AP1s just for the forgiveness factor in them.

When I get back from the World Cup I'm going to totally rework whats in my bag. Trying to save up at least 1.5-2k to throw into it. Havne't added anything since high school. Still playing with the original R7 driver and 3-wood. Original Titleist hybrid. Nike NDS Irons. Titleist wedges. 2 Ball putter.

Did you do a before and after on the launch monitor? I heard stories of guys adding 3-4 degrees to their launch angle, with the same or less backspin. That is a recipe for a massive distance increase assuming all other factors (ball speed, smash factor) are the same.

I'm not out for any extra distance, but this could be too big of a jump to pass up.

I'm also in the market for new irons, and am pretty sold on the AP2s.

Ha, we're gonna end up with the same bag... So my problem with launch monitors is that I'm pretty good at grooving a driver swing to match a given setup within a few swing, so range sessions only tell me so much. I'm tall with a solid over-the-top move and a 118mph average swing speed with the driver, so I've always had to find Titleist drivers in 7.5 lofts with low spin shafts - and i'll still back up drives in soft fairways.

I don't remember my numbers on the SLDR but the 9.5 is basically a perfect ball flight for me and took a ton of spin off. I was playing a Cleveland classic 290 before that, and those two drivers have COG that's more forward. They set up pretty similarly - but the SLDR is just plain longer. I put a Miyazaki Asha in it at the end of last year and was just nuking the thing. I don't really care about added distance, but the COG feel helped my release and really improved my accuracy. We'll see if it holds up this year. (I also crushed my original SLDR head in drunken attempt to hit a backwards drive at Sawgrass to close out the year, and I've yet to hit its replacement since it's been freezing for the last two months here).

As soon as the snow melts here I'm headed for an AP2 fitting. Will probably stick with X100's but want to try out the c-tapers and and KBS pros just for comparison. Have heard nothing but rave reviews on the new ap2's. Very psyched to hit them.

I've got some serious golf coming the next 4 days. Starting tomorrow with a round at Old Town, then taking a 3 day trip to Pinehurst to play Pine Needles, Mid Pines and Dormie.

I've got some serious golf coming the next 4 days. Starting tomorrow with a round at Old Town, then taking a 3 day trip to Pinehurst to play Pine Needles, Mid Pines and Dormie.

Have you played Dormie Club before? Was probably my most enjoyable day of golf last year. Really fun course, very creative. Enjoy #10... I'm assuming you've played the other two. #2 and Pine Needles are two of my favorite courses anywhere.

Have you played Dormie Club before? Was probably my most enjoyable day of golf last year. Really fun course, very creative. Enjoy #10... I'm assuming you've played the other two. #2 and Pine Needles are two of my favorite courses anywhere.

Dormie is good for about 14 of the 18 holes. #10 is so dumb, and you can tell they ran into unforeseen wetland issues. I didn't like 18 either. Its mostly a very good golf course, too bad it had the financial issues and too bad the wetland issues cropped up too. I've read that C&C wouldn't have taken on the assignment had they known about the wetland problems.

Interesting. 10 is challenging but I didn't find it dumb. Just avoid the left and it's a true 3 shot par 5. Requires three quality shots but you don't even have to hit driver off the tee so I don't think it's unfair. If that was water nobody would bat an eyelash.

18 has a waste area you have to decide whether to carry or lay up in front of, but I don't think that makes it a bad hole. Cool green complex with trouble on both sides. The only thing I didn't love about the course was the overabundance of short par 4's and a few mickey-mouse spots (17 is far more questionable than 18 I think, and a couple holes have huge roll outs leaving chips to the green).

I'd heard about some wetland issues but didn't know it was considered severe enough to have bagged the project. Interesting.

Thing I love about this time of year is people starting to invite me to Charity golf tournaments. Hello business expenses

17 at Dormie is an awful awful hole.

Rest of the course is brilliant, although some better care could be taken to put the pins in better places for everyday play. A couple of them were borderline unfair.

Ha. Yeah, the pins were fair the day we played 36, but there were spots where they could have been ridiculous. They did put the pin on #1 all the way back - you basically had two chances to make the putt if you rolled it by. That green was huge.

Guess you didn't eagle 17? I hit it into the right bunker both times and had to lay up which was probably a blessing in disguise. Made for 2 routine pars but everyone who tried getting on in two blew up.

Back