• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Ha. Yeah, the pins were fair the day we played 36, but there were spots where they could have been ridiculous. They did put the pin on #1 all the way back - you basically had two chances to make the putt if you rolled it by. That green was huge.

Guess you didn't eagle 17? I hit it into the right bunker both times and had to lay up which was probably a blessing in disguise. Made for 2 routine pars but everyone who tried getting on in two blew up.

They gave us a back right pin on 14. 4 of the 12 golfers on our trip putted it off the green and down the hill. My putt for birdie looked like it was going to stop 2 feet right of the hole and then slowly trickled down the hill and I made a double.

I did manage to shoot 74 with 2 doubles and no birdies on the par 5's.

Any spring boards outing this year? I think we did it in early Feb. last year. Just need a heads up in case I need to take a day off.

Just seeing the price drops start on the SM4 Vokey's with the New SM5's coming out.

100-109 most places. Those might be getting a look

Just seeing the price drops start on the SM4 Vokey's with the New SM5's coming out.

100-109 most places. Those might be getting a look

I just ordered a "very good" condition one from 3balls for $63, free shipping. Obviously not as good shape as what you'd get for $100, but I imagine it'll be fine since it'll be my sand wedge and won't get a ton of use (ideally...).

I took a lesson recently and the pro asked me why I use a weaker grip with my driver than I do with my irons. I had never thought about it before, but when I set up and hit a few balls, I realized he was right. I felt like the stronger iron grip encouraged the swing thought of trying to compress the ball into the ground, while the weaker driver grip made it easier to release the club.

Anyone else do this?

I took a lesson recently and the pro asked me why I use a weaker grip with my driver than I do with my irons. I had never thought about it before, but when I set up and hit a few balls, I realized he was right. I felt like the stronger iron grip encouraged the swing thought of trying to compress the ball into the ground, while the weaker driver grip made it easier to release the club.

Anyone else do this?

having been buried under snow until today and not touched a club since November, I think i also do this. Always felt a loose swing on the drive got me speed and distance. Usually ends up in wild swings. Irons i'm focusing on control and contact.

Weaker meaning a lighter grip pressure or the actual position of your hands on the club?

I change my grip for putting and bump and runs. Otherwise same grip pressure and same hand position. But I'm no stud golfer :)

Headed to The Masters for the Saturday round this year. Hoping to grope a few MILFs in the crowd.

Had my fitting on Saturday with Andrew Hodson and pretty happy with the results. Turns out I'm a Ping guy. Got the i25 irons and i25 driver. Irons felt good but I've got a feeling I'm going to lose quite a lot of distance with the stiffer shaft. Used to hit my 9 iron 145, 8 iron 160...up to 5 going 195. He did add an extra inch but will be interesting to see my new distances.

Had my fitting on Saturday with Andrew Hodson and pretty happy with the results. Turns out I'm a Ping guy. Got the i25 irons and i25 driver. Irons felt good but I've got a feeling I'm going to lose quite a lot of distance with the stiffer shaft. Used to hit my 9 iron 145, 8 iron 160...up to 5 going 195. He did add an extra inch but will be interesting to see my new distances.

I gained 10 yards per club with a proper shaft fitting. Shocked to hear yours went down.

I gained 10 yards per club with a proper shaft fitting. Shocked to hear yours went down.
Hmmmm maybe it'll work out, I'll hopefully have the clubs by the end of next week.

Driver I've always had a low ball flight and with the i25 still don't have a high ball flight, but was carrying 240+ with a lot of roll.

Hmmmm maybe it'll work out, I'll hopefully have the clubs by the end of next week.

Driver I've always had a low ball flight and with the i25 still don't have a high ball flight, but was carrying 240+ with a lot of roll.

Surprised you are only carrying it 240ish with that type of distance on your irons. That's big boy long on the irons.

I was recently fitted for a new set of sticks, went with the new TaylorMade Speed Blades. They are SWEET. I'm a club and a half longer. Love them. I echo what LK says in that a proper fitting should gain you some yards.

I got a new R1 for what amounted to about $150 online.

Going to need a new set of irons, my current set is 15+ years old, anyone have any recommendations for a golfer that would be happy but possibly could break 90.

Surprised you are only carrying it 240ish with that type of distance on your irons. That's big boy long on the irons.

I was recently fitted for a new set of sticks, went with the new TaylorMade Speed Blades. They are SWEET. I'm a club and a half longer. Love them. I echo what LK says in that a proper fitting should gain you some yards.

As I mentioned, my driver ball flight is quite low, so 240 carry should end up around 270. But I think the big thing is that I have a very steep swing down on the ball for all my shots. For irons, that's not a bad thing however for driver, I need to straighten out my swing a bit. Was initially getting 3800-4400 rpm backspin on my drives which is quite high. Obvious that I'm actually still coming down on the ball with driver but as I've just started working on correcting that, hoping to see additional length on driver.

If I were to get a set of irons from a tour pro buddy of mine (#humblebrag I know), would it be easy to have them fitted to my swing? I know most clubs have a machine that can adjust lie/loft, so I don't imagine it being an issue.

I got a new R1 for what amounted to about $150 online.

Going to need a new set of irons, my current set is 15+ years old, anyone have any recommendations for a golfer that would be happy but possibly could break 90.

Ping g series (g25 is current model) are good clubs for that ability level

If I were to get a set of irons from a tour pro buddy of mine (#humblebrag I know), would it be easy to have them fitted to my swing? I know most clubs have a machine that can adjust lie/loft, so I don't imagine it being an issue.

Biggest change would likely be the shafts. He probably has invested a lot of time getting each shaft fitted in some way, and you might not be able to hit them with the consistency you would expect.

agree with above. If you have to re-shaft and re-grip clubs and have each of them bent, what exactly is the point? You'll invest a lot more in that set of sticks than you might initially think.

Back