• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

And the frustrating time of charity golf tournaments begins.....

1st tourney was a 4 man scramble. I might have gone out there and shot mid 70's but since my partners were all awful...... Team finished -8 and 4 of the birdies were naturals....

Got back from my honeymoon to find my new sticks waiting for me. Ended up going with new 714 AP2's, KBS Tour C-Taper in x-flex, couple degrees upright and 1/2" long. Added some SM5 wedges and a 712u 2 iron for good measure with C-Tapers as well (had to get the S+ stepped for the 2 iron and went with S+ for the wedges as well).

Tomorrow will be the first real round with them, but the first few range sessions with them have been absolutely money. They're replacing 712 AP2's with DG x100's - definitely a significant improvement so far. Tomorrow will be telling though.

Got back from my honeymoon to find my new sticks waiting for me. Ended up going with new 714 AP2's, KBS Tour C-Taper in x-flex, couple degrees upright and 1/2" long. Added some SM5 wedges and a 712u 2 iron for good measure with C-Tapers as well (had to get the S+ stepped for the 2 iron and went with S+ for the wedges as well).

Tomorrow will be the first real round with them, but the first few range sessions with them have been absolutely money. They're replacing 712 AP2's with DG x100's - definitely a significant improvement so far. Tomorrow will be telling though.

Got mine a couple weeks ago. 714 AP2s with X100's.

I tried out the CTaper in my shaft fitting session and didn't like the results. Overall, switching from the project x 6.0 to the x100's gave me an extra 9 mph in ball speed, and brought my sidespin down considerably. On the course I've seen shots that I previously would have hooked off the planet are now only drifting to the left edge of the green. I'm hitting them further, more consistently, and with less side to side distribution in shot pattern.

Got mine a couple weeks ago. 714 AP2s with X100's.

I tried out the CTaper in my shaft fitting session and didn't like the results. Overall, switching from the project x 6.0 to the x100's gave me an extra 9 mph in ball speed, and brought my sidespin down considerably. On the course I've seen shots that I previously would have hooked off the planet are now only drifting to the left edge of the green. Definitely going to make me more consistent.

Makes sense coming from the PX6's. The C-Tapers knocked a little spin off for me over my old X100's, but overall I just prefer the feel of them. Nothing counts until tournament time, but so far I just have a better sense of the release so I've been able to work it both ways pretty consistently, and my 3/4 shots are much more consistent. I hit the regular kbs tours way too high - I can't believe Adam Scott plays those... Just depends on the swing I guess. I would have liked to have tried the tour-v's but Titleist didn't stock them in the fitting. Plus the C-Tapers just clicked with me with the first swing.

Now if I can just find a putter I like as much...

i'm still trying to hit my 2006 big berthas consistently

Need some course recommendations please. Visiting the Scottsdale area for the first time in early May. I should have time for two rounds. Recommendations on which two courses I should play? From looking around just a little, I'm thinking Grayhawk and We-Ko-Pa. Anyone played either?

Need some course recommendations please. Visiting the Scottsdale area for the first time in early May. I should have time for two rounds. Recommendations on which two courses I should play? From looking around just a little, I'm thinking Grayhawk and We-Ko-Pa. Anyone played either?

Are you on a budget?

The Saguaro Course at We-Ko-Pa is outstanding.

Talking Stick is solid.

The stadium course at TPC Scottsdale is a fun track.

Are you on a budget?

The Saguaro Course at We-Ko-Pa is outstanding.

Talking Stick is solid.

The stadium course at TPC Scottsdale is a fun track.

I'd like to stay under $150 per round. Looks like May rates are off-peak

The TPC Scottsdale Stadium Course is closed for renovations until November.

Anyone got a golf course recommendation around Philly? Not looking to break the bank but would enjoy a nice course.

I gained 10 yards per club with a proper shaft fitting. Shocked to hear yours went down.

Surprised you are only carrying it 240ish with that type of distance on your irons. That's big boy long on the irons.

I was recently fitted for a new set of sticks, went with the new TaylorMade Speed Blades. They are SWEET. I'm a club and a half longer. Love them. I echo what LK says in that a proper fitting should gain you some yards.
Have the whole set and things are going pretty well.

Irons I gained about 5 yards in distance (9: 150, 8:165, 7:175, etc.) and have eliminated any slice. Unfortunately, I'm actually pulling everything a little now. Ball is going dead straight, just pulling it left about a half a green on 6 and 7 irons. Doing it consistently, too.

Driver has seen the greatest improvement. Be it the new driver or the change in swing, I'm now hitting it around 270-280. Misses are pushing it a little right, but hit all but 2 fairways with it yesterday.

Also, started using a 3x3 wedge system with my 50, 52 and 56 that gives me the following distances that are very easily repeatable: 45, 55, 60, 65, 75, 85, 90, 105, and 115. The same 3 types of easily repeatable shots with those 3 clubs can give me just about any distance from 45-115. The 90-105 gap is the most dangerous, but I can live with that being my one dead zone.

Haven't bought a driver in a decade so I decided to upgrade that part of my bag this weekend. Ordered an original Rocketballz driver from Golfsmith for $99. Seemed like a pretty good deal.

Haven't bought a driver in a decade so I decided to upgrade that part of my bag this weekend. Ordered an original Rocketballz driver from Golfsmith for $99. Seemed like a pretty good deal.

Pretty much anything you switch to is going to be a dramatic increase in technology.

So who's got some tips on curing the driver/3 wood yips in tournament play?

Shot an 81 in a tournament monday with 3 OB drives (1 driver, two 3-woods). Played the rest of the round teeing off with my 2 iron, outside of those 3 holes was +1 on the day. Everything else in the game was pretty solid, just getting over the top and flipping my woods to OB right field - and only in tournament situations. Killing me.

So who's got some tips on curing the driver/3 wood yips in tournament play?

Shot an 81 in a tournament monday with 3 OB drives (1 driver, two 3-woods). Played the rest of the round teeing off with my 2 iron, outside of those 3 holes was +1 on the day. Everything else in the game was pretty solid, just getting over the top and flipping my woods to OB right field - and only in tournament situations. Killing me.

I find alcohol works.

I find alcohol works.

Yeah - like the guys on tour who take downers before rounds. Alcohol definitely helps, but thinking of working harder on a pre-shot routine or a swing cadence or something. I dunno, just frustrating. Played Sunday and pummeled the ball down the middle all day. Monday it was like I had no idea where the club face was on my woods - the 3 OB never even sniffed the golf course.

I'm fighting a low hook... My driver is either 290 straight in the middle or 210 low and left. I am at a huge loss on what to do. I fight the same miss with my three wood and hybrid. Even when I try and hold off my finish (i.e. Arnie finish) I can't cut the ball or hit it straight that often. I try and slow my swing down and not overswing and I end up flipping my hands and hitting a low hook. I'm still shooting in the low 80's but my game otherwise is solid right now (a rarity) and if I could get off the tee my handicap could really drop.

Back