• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Sorry dude, I head out for break sometime tomorrow afternoon. I've got classes starting up on the second. How long are you in town for?

Anyone play Pine Knolls in Kernersville? There's currently a GROUPON for
- One 18-hole round of golf for two with shared cart rental (up to a $68 value)
- Two hot dogs, two bags of chips, and two sodas (a $12 value)

For $40. Think you can also get just the golf for $36. Anyone recommend it?

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu13085203

I saw this this morning, and I think I am going to pull the trigger.

pinecrest inn ftmfw!

The Pinecrest normally has some sick deals that combine lodging/good meals/golf at decent courses. You won't get to play the Resort Courses or Pine Needles, but you'll get to play some solid tracks that are a ton of fun without having to give up your left pinky toe.

If you stay at the resort and play #2, Pinehurst destroys Myrtle.

But it's WAY more expensive. If you skip the resort and only play nearby courses, and you're on a budget, I think Myrtle's the better trip.

RTJ Trail would be awesome though.

If you stay at the resort and play #2, Pinehurst destroys Myrtle.

But it's WAY more expensive. If you skip the resort and only play nearby courses, and you're on a budget, I think Myrtle's the better trip.

RTJ Trail would be awesome though.

To each his own. I've only played in/around Myrtle a couple times, and have little desire to ever make a trip of it. At some point in my life I want to do the west coast trip and figure out a way to get on Cypress. If anyone has connections, they would be much appreciated. Thanks.

To each his own. I've only played in/around Myrtle a couple times, and have little desire to ever make a trip of it. At some point in my life I want to do the west coast trip and figure out a way to get on Cypress. If anyone has connections, they would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I've gotten on Cypress. A buddy and I had just played Pebble and we were cruising along 17 Mile Dr. When we got to Cypress, I told my friend that with the ocean on our right, the famous par three 16th had to be in that same direction. We parked the car on the side of the road, crawled under a wire fence, and went out to the 16th tee. I still have the picture my friend took of me standing on the tee box with the hole over my shoulder. Looking back, we could have been arrested for trespassing.

But if you mean get on Cypress to actually play the course, then no. Can't help you there.

Last edited:

While it's not Cypress, you can play a MacKenzie course called Pasatiempo about an hour north of Cypress.

I wouldn't mind a round on the Monterrey Peninsula CC Dunes Course as well.

Re pinecrest: the chiping game into the fireplace has had some of the sickest bets known to mankind. That little spot of carpet should a national landmark. Watson, Palmer, me. Good times.

Anyone play Pine Knolls in Kernersville? There's currently a GROUPON for
- One 18-hole round of golf for two with shared cart rental (up to a $68 value)
- Two hot dogs, two bags of chips, and two sodas (a $12 value)

For $40. Think you can also get just the golf for $36. Anyone recommend it?

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu13085203

Absolute dog shit golf course. Save your money.

played like absolute garbage yesterday but had a ton of fun. working on a bigger shoulder turn has really helped fix the death fade and added power too.

Heritage? Dunes Club? Caledonia?

Myrtle has more golf courses in the top 100 than anywhere else in the country if you're talking places anyone can play.

Hotel rooms are cheap and package deals can drive down greens fees a ton.

If you don't stay at Pinehurst and can't play #2, #4, or #8, etc... I don't know, I just have a hard time labeling that area as better than Myrtle Beach for public golf.

And that's coming from someone who made it to Pinehurst twice this year and considers it one of the greatest places on earth...

walked 18 after lunch today. beautiful day. Had a par-birdie-par stretch which is super rare for me. hopefully gonna get out again tomorrow.

agree with dcdeac re: pinehurst vs myrtle. plus, nothing beats going to myrtle with a bunch of dudes, getting hammered, and making it rain at derrieres or some other seedy strip club. pure gold in aberdeen just doesn't cut it.

Re pinecrest: the chiping game into the fireplace has had some of the sickest bets known to mankind. That little spot of carpet should a national landmark. Watson, Palmer, me. Good times.

I've watched Webb go on some serious runs chipping balls into the fireplace at The Pinecrest back in the day. Saw him make one with his eyes shut.

Too bad they got rid of it.

Got rid of it?!?!?! That's tragic. When? It was there in July.

I havent been there in a year or so. Last time I was there it was gone. But its possible they only take it away when the piano player is in the bar. I think he may have required they take it down when he plays bc he's had a number of ricochets back at his head over the years.

Heritage? Dunes Club? Caledonia?

Myrtle has more golf courses in the top 100 than anywhere else in the country if you're talking places anyone can play.

Hotel rooms are cheap and package deals can drive down greens fees a ton.

If you don't stay at Pinehurst and can't play #2, #4, or #8, etc... I don't know, I just have a hard time labeling that area as better than Myrtle Beach for public golf.

And that's coming from someone who made it to Pinehurst twice this year and considers it one of the greatest places on earth...

I definitely agree that the top courses in Myrtle are better than those in Pinehurst (although I'd play #2, #4, or #8 any day if I had the money). However, I think a lot of the Pinehurst area courses are just incredibly fun to play, and would likely be way cheaper. You can't help but love the golfing "feel" to the entire Pinehurst area as well. The poster asked about a couples trip, making Pinehurst even more clearly the winner in my eyes. If the question was for a bachelor's party or something like that I'd most likely say Myrtle.

I could make a case for Caledonia being better than all but 2 courses in Pinehurst.

Back