• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

We're hoping for the second flight

The hell we are. I don't want it to be like last year where I was giving up 4 shots per side.

Pretty sure we will fall into the top flight. I only know of 3 teams that have a lower combined handicap so far.

What weekend is it?

September 5-7th. We usually play it in early June but the driving range and short game area were under construction so we decided to wait. The course is in the best shape I've ever seen right now.

The really fun part will be Saturday when we are off the course at 3 and then roll over to Groves to tailgate for the football game!

Sweeeeeet humblebrag.

It sucked dude, and on top of that we played the course at roughly 6200 yards. There are a bunch of half par holes that make strokes extra valuable on the front nine. Fortunately, the top flights will be playing it back around 6700 and we've lengthened a few of the holes significantly.

It sucked dude, and on top of that we played the course at roughly 6200 yards. There are a bunch of half par holes that make strokes extra valuable on the front nine. Fortunately, the top flights will be playing it back around 6700 and we've lengthened a few of the holes significantly.

What, you don't enjoy shooting a 73 and losing to a 15 who shot 87 without having to hit a driver once?

What, you don't enjoy shooting a 73 and losing to a 15 who shot 87 without having to hit a driver once?

Or watching a 10 handicapper make 2 gross birdies/net eagles a side before you even got to putt for your own birdie on those holes.

Oddly, the year my partner and I won was when we were the 2nd lowest handicapped team in the entire field, but all of the other teams in the championship flight had handicaps in the 4 and under range. Competition was very tight with little strokes given.

Back2Back and I combined to shoot a GROSS better ball 30 in our final 9 hole match and lost 2&1.

I played in a member/member tournament at my club a couple of weeks ago that was nine holes better ball and nine holes true alternate shot. I'm an eight, my partner is a three. We shot 33 (-3) gross on the alternate shot. By far the best I've ever done in that format. It's also one of the most pressure-filled formats for me. If your partner knocks one in there four feet, you feel like e dick if you miss the putt. Same thing when he bombs a drive, you're standing there with a wedge in your hands, and you miss the green.

I played in a member/member tournament at my club a couple of weeks ago that was nine holes better ball and nine holes true alternate shot. I'm an eight, my partner is a three. We shot 33 (-3) gross on the alternate shot. By far the best I've ever done in that format. It's also one of the most pressure-filled formats for me. If your partner knocks one in there four feet, you feel like e dick if you miss the putt. Same thing when he bombs a drive, you're standing there with a wedge in your hands, and you miss the green.

I love the alternate shot format, but we always play a modified form where both partners get to tee off. I don't know if I could draw it back with anything more than a 4 iron if I knew my partner 100% had to play my tee shot!

That's why I liked the Golf Channel Am tour this year. Flights just put you in buckets of players - no strokes or anything after that.

My buddy who has visited for our member-guest many times doesn't play a lot of golf and has a high handicap - but he is a decent athlete and usually gets better every round during the event. One year he played so badly the second day (of three) that he was basically suicidal. The next day he was super focused and shot 85 (par 70) with 26 shots - the best round of his life. I might have cut him one shot (I was a 2) and we won our flight going away. I had to tell him to stop talking about his 85 at dinner before someone ran him out of town on a rail.

Anybody have any recommendations for golf in the Lexington, KY area? Doing a bachelor party there and wanted to get a round or two in. TIA

I think I'm finally ready to dump some cash into my bag and overhaul everything. Haven't bought new clubs since high school ('06) so I'm ready for a change. Currently stocking an original r7 driver, r7 3-wood, titleist hybrid, 4-S Nike NDS irons, 60 degree titleist vokey, and a two ball putter.

Looking to buy 10.5 driver, 3 wood, blades, 56/60, scotty.

Upgrade to Ping G30 driver and 3 wood, Titleist AP2 irons, stick with the Vokeys (get some new SM5's or TVD's)

Blades are almost always a bad idea, but to each their own.

Looks like sleepy and Matt are playing in the member guest this year at Maple Chase. I will be playing with my dad so maybe we will see each other in the same flight!

Could you please address matt and I as "Defending 1st Flight Winners". #humblebrag

Looks like I am a 5.5 and matt is carrying at 2.6, which should keep us in the top flight.

Does anyone use or know someone that uses the cobra bio cell driver?

Gamed a bio cell 3 wood for a while and hit the driver a few times. Great clubs - Cobra's new offerings are excellent, especially for high spin players.

Gamed a bio cell 3 wood for a while and hit the driver a few times. Great clubs - Cobra's new offerings are excellent, especially for high spin players.

Very nice. I'm leaning towards it as my new driver. It will be a huge upgrade from my old 2005 454 cobra.

Very nice. I'm leaning towards it as my new driver. It will be a huge upgrade from my old 2005 454 cobra.

A month or so ago Cobra screwed up with their $100 off deal on their website. They already been running a friends and family online coupon going for 40% off that had made it out into the wild. For a little over a day you could piggyback them. GolfWRX caught on and a bunch of people ordered multiple drivers, a lot of them with upgrades. The bad news is the deal is long dead, the good news is it really lowered the street prices on them. Bang-for-the-buck wise, it'd be hard to argue with. I preferred the Pro version to the Plus, seemed to pair best with the Diamana out of the stock options.

Could you please address matt and I as "Defending 1st Flight Winners". #humblebrag

Looks like I am a 5.5 and matt is carrying at 2.6, which should keep us in the top flight.

Pretty sure you guys ran away with it last year.

Back