• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Them new taylormade irons..... I might could make some use out of these..... Demo at about 2:50

I'm rocking some Alabama Robert Trent Jones golf trail this weekend. So far good courses and rates. Would recommend as a buddies trip. We are playing The Senator this AM. They had an LPGA event there a few weeks back. Should be fun

Use to live in Alabama and played some of those courses. Where else are you playing? Auburn/Opelika course was great. Bham courses were in great shape, but super hilly.

Love me some RTJ golf trail.....went down 4-5 years in a row back in the '04-08 time frame. Hard to decide whether I liked the Grand National site or the Capitol Hill site the best (that first tee shot on the Judge is like mountain golf, dropping 200+ feet). Grand National will be hosting a new PGA event this summer.

Where is Grand National?

Use to live in Alabama and played some of those courses. Where else are you playing? Auburn/Opelika course was great. Bham courses were in great shape, but super hilly.

We played in Huntsville at the Highlands and River courses at Hampton Cove. We then played the Senator course at Capital Hill. And then played the Ridge Course at Oxymoor Valley in Birmingham. I've played in Glencoe but never made the southern swing. Apparently the courses in Opelika are the best ones, as they've had the NCAA tourney there and are hosting a PGA event this year.

Played Oak Valley yesterday and hit the shit out of the ball and shot a GD 82. My putting was an embarrassment to golfers everywhere. Hit 14 greens and made zero birdies and had 5 three putts. Should have easily been in the 70s.

how were the greens? last time i was there (june or july) it had been raining and the greens were getting wrecked by ball marks that people weren't fixing properly

Greens were in good shape. It was wet and everything was catching. Ball marks were present but not unusually so. Wish I could blame my putting on them but I just sucked.

How bad is it going to suck to play golf in Asheville Friday afternoon(3:00: 9 holes) and Saturday morning(10:15: 18 holes)? High of 38 on Friday, low 22 Friday night and high 46 Saturday. Never played golf in temps that cold. Any cold weather golfing tips?

How bad is it going to suck to play golf in Asheville Friday afternoon(3:00: 9 holes) and Saturday morning(10:15: 18 holes)? High of 38 on Friday, low 22 Friday night and high 46 Saturday. Never played golf in temps that cold. Any cold weather golfing tips?

Don't expect much distance off the tee.

That will be miserable. On the bright side you'll be incentivized to not hit bad shots because when you do DAMN that hurts your hands. Hitting it off the bottom of the club in cold weather is probably the worst part of golf.

Keep fresh hand warmers in your pockets. If your hands get cold, you'll have no feel for the club and you will hit terrible shots that feel great otherwise. If your hands get wet, you're screwed.

Walk as much as is practical...obviously unless you have heat at your cart.

When I have on extra clothes, I tend to fade the ball. Don't fight it. If you can't fix the ball flight on the first couple holes, just go with it. You'll be miserable if you expect to play like you would in August.

My two cents...

As DF07 said you won't get the distances you are used to hitting. It amazes me the number of people who refuse to hit more club, just because their pride won't let them deviate from their A+ maxed-out yardages. Here again, figure it out in the first couple holes and go with it.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Sounds about as miserable as I thought it might be. 4 of us are playing Friday and 8 are playing Saturday. I think the only reason the ringleader hasn't already suggested cancelling golf is a fear that a couple people will back out of the trip. Might be harder for a couple of guys to sell the trip to their wives if golf clubs are being left at home.

Played Primland yesterday with a couple of fellow Deacons (liquid Karma included). My first time there and I came away impressed. Excellent facility and great golf.

Jay Haas was on the grounds but we didn't see him. Just his Wake Forest Deacon bag and clubs. Gotta be nice to be sponsored by a place like that.

Shots of bourbon on the first, second and third tees. Then you won't care as much about the lost feeling in your hands. :)

Played Primland yesterday with a couple of fellow Deacons (liquid Karma included). My first time there and I came away impressed. Excellent facility and great golf.

Jay Haas was on the grounds but we didn't see him. Just his Wake Forest Deacon bag and clubs. Gotta be nice to be sponsored by a place like that.

That place was sublime.

As DF07 said you won't get the distances you are used to hitting. It amazes me the number of people who refuse to hit more club, just because their pride won't let them deviate from their A+ maxed-out yardages. Here again, figure it out in the first couple holes and go with it.
My game's improved ~5 strokes by making a change from 100% to 50-75% on wedge and wood shots.

I typically play average affordable courses and when I play at a nice course like I did last week my putting is pathetic on the first few holes. So many three putts. I went from an aggressive mindset to a 'who cares if it's short just get it within a 3 foot radius' mindset on the back nine and that helped a little bit.

Just booked a trip down to the Dirty Myrtle in a couple of weeks to play the legends courses...

4 Nights, 4 Rounds (with 3 free PM replays if we get them), breakfast, lunch and 2 drinks a day for $275 / Golfer....

Anyone done this trip and found the catch so it doesn't surprise me when I'm down there?

The courses are average at best and it will take 5 hours to play. Other than that...killer deal.

Back