• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

My daughter is playing a high school tournament at Salem Glen next week, are there any quirky holes/issues with the course to look out for? they'll likely be playing the red tees,

I am looking for a travel bag for flying with my clubs, preferably one that folds up small so I can put it in my suitcase for my flight over, and then use for bringing my clubs back. Anyone have recommendations?

I am looking for a travel bag for flying with my clubs, preferably one that folds up small so I can put it in my suitcase for my flight over, and then use for bringing my clubs back. Anyone have recommendations?

Haven't ever seen a bag that can fold up that small and actually protect your clubs in any meaningful way. I switched to a big-ass hard case after watching how they treat clubs headed onto planes.

Check out the Sun Mountain Kube. It's pretty new and collapses.

would love some bag thoughts:

i currently have a 3 wood (rbz) and then my next longest club is a 4 hybrid (21 degrees). i use my 3 wood off the tee probably an average of 2 times a round, almost never anywhere else. if i ever need to hit a long shot off the deck (200+ yds) i just use the hybrid.

feels like a pretty big gap but not sure where/when i'd productively use another club (currently only carrying 13).

I've got the same basic bag but have four wedges. Also carry 4 - 9, a 4-Hybrid, 3W, and Driver. Currently, I'm least enamored of my 4-hybrid and thinking of dropping it for a 3-iron or hybrid iron.

three wedges:
1/ 49 degree approach
2/ 54 degree, mid bounce (vokey m grind) -- rarely use this with a full swing
3/ 58 degree, super high bounce -- have never hit w/ a full swing

Last edited:
would love some bag thoughts:

i currently have a 3 wood (rbz) and then my next longest club is a 4 hybrid (21 degrees). i use my 3 wood off the tee probably an average of 2 times a round, almost never anywhere else. if i ever need to hit a long shot off the deck (200+ yds) i just use the hybrid.

feels like a pretty big gap but not sure where/when i'd productively use another club (currently only carrying 13).

Why not a 3 hybrid? I have 2 hybrids - I think they are 19 and 24 degrees...

Why not a 3 hybrid? I have 2 hybrids - I think they are 19 and 24 degrees...

Same here. The longest iron in bag is a five-iron. I find I hit the hybrids more consistently well than I used to hit a three or four-iron, but if I miss a shot, the area in which I’ll miss is bigger with the hybrids.

I'm the opposite. Got a 3 hybrid late last summer, after using a 3 iron my whole life, and it's my least favorite club in my bag. I hit a natural draw, and the hybrid draws/hooks more than any club in my bag by far, even with it set to the most open setting. Our head pro told me hybrids have naturally closed clubfaces (usually meant for higher handicaps), which could be leading to this, but who knows.

I choked away the chance this weekend to pull off the double at my club. I won the club championship last fall and this weekend was the Senior club championship. Everyone plays the white tees so it plays very short. Saturday I made every putt I looked at and shot 67. I took a two shot lead into today against the guy that has won it (and the regular club championship) a ton of times. I was super shaky today and fell behind early. I fought back and went one-up after a birdie on 15. Then I bogied the par 5 17th after being in a greenside bunker in 2 (missed a 4 footer!)... The other guy finished birdie-birdie and beat me by 2. Conditions were a lot tougher today but that was no excuse for my 76.... he shot 72, one guy shot 75 and everyone else was higher...

Fun round last night - hit a couple of greens and finished with 2 pars (including hitting out of a bunker to give myself the par-putt opportunity). Scored 51 on 9 which is a personal best - starting to see the improvement that comes from weekly practice and playing. Really enjoying the game so far this summer.

Has anyone ever played Catawba Country Club? I'm playing in a tournament there soon and I've never played the course before and don't have a chance to go check it out.

I am playing Maple Chase, touring the facilities, and having lunch there this coming Wednesday. Any board members who are Maple Chase members that would like to join me for the round?

I am playing Maple Chase, touring the facilities, and having lunch there this coming Wednesday. Any board members who are Maple Chase members that would like to join me for the round?

I have a 1:10 pm tee-time with another Deac, you're welcome to play with us.

eta: I went ahead and added you (as 'shorty') to the tee-sheet. Let me know if I need to change anything.

Last edited:
I have a 1 pm tee-time with another Deac, you're welcome to play with us.

eta: I went ahead and added you (as 'shorty') to the tee-sheet. Let me know if I need to change anything.

Thanks for adding Shorty. I’ll PM you with my actual name, and yes, I would love to join you two. I’ll let the pro shop know I have a game and I’ll look forward to meeting you on Wednesday. Will you be walking or riding?

Thanks for adding Shorty. I’ll PM you with my actual name, and yes, I would love to join you two. I’ll let the pro shop know I have a game and I’ll look forward to meeting you on Wednesday. Will you be walking or riding?

I'm walking with my fancy cart that follows me.

The other dude is walking. I put you down as a rider, but can let them know what you prefer.

Back