• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

People played the Palisades south of Charlotte by Lake Wylie? Have heard very mixed reviews. Interclub match there tomorrow.

People played the Palisades south of Charlotte by Lake Wylie? Have heard very mixed reviews. Interclub match there tomorrow.

What did you think of the course? Had considered playing a qualifier there a couple of years ago but decided against it, so I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Played in a member/guest last weekend as the guest. Had a 10 handicap try to tell me that you can't hit a provisional for a shot that you think might be out of bounds. A provisional is only for shots that you think were in the water. Wut.

Played in a member/guest last weekend as the guest. Had a 10 handicap try to tell me that you can't hit a provisional for a shot that you think might be out of bounds. A provisional is only for shots that you think were in the water. Wut.

Just to add, I saw this rule bent (and misapplied) all the time in competitive play.

The provisional is completely thrown out as soon as its determined that the ball likely ended up in a hazard.

If the group didn't realize a hazard was present, you'll see a lot of situations where players think they have the option of continuing to play their provisional or taking a drop out of the hazard. You can do the latter, or take stroke + distance & replay.... so, the provisional ceases to exist.

Obviously, in casual play... continuing to play a provisional in this situation out of convenience is typically OK (or even encouraged), but I just see it getting played wrong in competitive play too often.

What did you think of the course? Had considered playing a qualifier there a couple of years ago but decided against it, so I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

The mixed reviews made sense. The greens were in awesome shape, but some were a little goofy in terms of bowls, slopes, etc. Decent layout. Not a lot of driver holes for me from the member tees, which is not unusual, but not as fun. I'd definitely play it again, and would like to play the Championship tees.

Shot 74 with an OB and cold shank into the water from 110 yards. I've had shank issues off and on all spring/early summer. Have been standing further away from the ball, but that's making me hunch/lean over more, and I think is actually making it worse. They seem to happen most frequently on knock-down shots, particularly wedges. Any secret tips to cure this?

The mixed reviews made sense. The greens were in awesome shape, but some were a little goofy in terms of bowls, slopes, etc. Decent layout. Not a lot of driver holes for me from the member tees, which is not unusual, but not as fun. I'd definitely play it again, and would like to play the Championship tees.

Shot 74 with an OB and cold shank into the water from 110 yards. I've had shank issues off and on all spring/early summer. Have been standing further away from the ball, but that's making me hunch/lean over more, and I think is actually making it worse. They seem to happen most frequently on knock-down shots, particularly wedges. Any secret tips to cure this?

Trying to make it an all arm shot? If so, make a bigger turn.

I have no idea how to help that over the internet tbh

I've been prone to the same thing occasionally through the years. Mine has normally been fixed by standing closer to the ball and really concentrating on getting my left hand (i'm a lefty) turned over and through the ball causing the club head to almost feel like i'm over rotating and trying to hook it. But that's just me. Like SD3 said, hard to tell over the interwebs.

Palisades will always have a little special place in my heart. I played in a fundraiser scramble their one day that Circle K was throwing and made my first and only (to this date) hole in one on a course out there. Was playing with my brother and dad so that was pretty cool.

Anybody carry a 64 degree wedge? If so, what is your wedge configuration?

I just picked up a 64 when I joined a new club, because of the nature of the greens and certain approach distances I have when I take a more agressive line on doglegs. However, I now have 5 wedges (64-60-55-50-45), which I don't want. I'm thinking of reconfiguring to something like 64-58-52-46, but I'm curious what others do who carry a 64.

Anybody carry a 64 degree wedge? If so, what is your wedge configuration?

I just picked up a 64 when I joined a new club, because of the nature of the greens and certain approach distances I have when I take a more agressive line on doglegs. However, I now have 5 wedges (64-60-55-50-45), which I don't want. I'm thinking of reconfiguring to something like 64-58-52-46, but I'm curious what others do who carry a 64.

I used to go 48/51/56/60 years ago but now toned it back to 48/52/58. I feel comfortable with adjusting length of swing to hit certain yardages (not that I'm great at it) and don't feel any difference hitting a shot I used to hit with a 60 with my 58.

44/49/54/60

Rarely use the 60, but I need to get better with it. I can actually hit it decent, I just lack the confidence so I end up using my 54 all the time.

48/52/56/60

I hit all of them and have no idea which one I’d take out if I had to. I’ve also gotten into the habit of brining all four with me when I miss a green.

44/49/54/60

Rarely use the 60, but I need to get better with it. I can actually hit it decent, I just lack the confidence so I end up using my 54 all the time.

Wait, you have a 44 degree PW? That's wild. Amazing how delofted clubs are getting.

I have the same "traditional" setup as deacfan above. As an aside, I switched to a Vokey PW early this year, and really like it. Feels much more like a scoring club than the one from my set (AP2).

Wait, you have a 44 degree PW? That's wild. Amazing how delofted clubs are getting.

I have the same "traditional" setup as deacfan above. As an aside, I switched to a Vokey PW early this year, and really like it. Feels much more like a scoring club than the one from my set (AP2).

Yeah, I got the taylormade M2 irons and thats what the PW and AW come as. It's been a good set up for me, I hit those two wedges very solid.

Following a few of the tour pros lead and experimenting with shorter clubs this year. Went standard length irons (I'm 6'3" so used to be +1/2"). 3 wood down to 42", driver on the way at 44.25".

Even without the driver I won my first tournament with the new irons (Mizzy 900 forged, DG x7's) and hit 15 greens. So far I just wish I'd gone this route sooner...

48/52/56/60

I hit all of them and have no idea which one I’d take out if I had to. I’ve also gotten into the habit of brining all four with me when I miss a green.

This is me also. 48 and 52 came with my Mizuno 900 set, 56 and 60 are the Callaway MD wedges (which I love).

Two years ago, I let a “fitter”at the PGA Tour Super Store talk me into a set of Taylormade Burner irons. They’re the first set of investment cast irons I’ve ever owned and I hated them from almost day one. I’ve seen several comments here about the Mizuno JPX 900 forged. I’m a seven handicap. Any posters care to weigh a with a yeah or nay?

Two years ago, I let a “fitter”at the PGA Tour Super Store talk me into a set of Taylormade Burner irons. They’re the first set of investment cast irons I’ve ever owned and I hated them from almost day one. I’ve seen several comments here about the Mizuno JPX 900 forged. I’m a seven handicap. Any posters care to weigh a with a yeah or nay?

Sounds like you are too good at golf to play with irons you hate. I say do a real fitting and pick the best from there.

I was fit for the 850 forged few years ago. Solid set of clubs. One nice thing about mizuno is no upcharge for different shafts. I went with kbs C taper lite XS.

Heading to pinehurst this weekend. Pretty excited, hopefully the heat won't kill us. Got Talamore, Tobacco Road, Pine Needles, and Dormie all lined up. Gonna try to get in at least one round on the Cradle as well if it's available. Got a few drink/dinner thoughts but any other advice would be great. No one in the group has done more than just a day trip round in Pinehurst before.

Back