• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Not to get too specific, but anyone play the new D grind of the Vokey SM8s? My wedges are 2.5 years old, and just picked up a couple demos. After a handful of shots, they seem sweet - seem to promote a little lower, more driving ball flight (I need this bad) and are nice to look at upon address. Thinking 12 degrees of bounce on the 56 and 8 on the 60. Make sense?

My vokey setup is 50.08/56.14/62.08, F grinds on the first 2 and M grind on the 62. Currently SM7's but SM8's on the way. My understanding is the D grind enhances playable bounce for softer conditions while the S grind reduces it a bit for firmer conditions. The F is neutral, the most popular grind on tour, and good from anywhere in any conditions. Going with aggressive grinds and super low bounce setups is another one of those buyer beware things in my opinion. If you have a lot of time to practice your wedge game they can definitely allow for more shotmaking. 9 times out of 10 when someone I play with has a reduced grind and opens the club face or goes the opposite route and plays a bump off their back foot, it's a recipe for fat chunks where the blade gets stuck in the ground or they make a flop swing that goes straight under the ball and goes nowhere. Maybe folks with certain swing types or chipping styles click with certain grinds, hasn't been my experience though so I stick to the basics.

As someone who grew up on tight, dry fairways in AZ I fell in love with super low bounce wedges.

And then I moved to the south and realized in a damn hurry that wet spongy turf grabbed the leading edge too much.

I typically carry a low bounce LW and a high bounce SW just to have a mix of both.

Shot 70 at Warrior this morning

1 Birdie
2 Birdie
7 Triple bogey
8 Bogey
12 Bogey
14 Eagle
16 Birdie
17 Birdie

My confidence in short putts is pretty bad right now, I typically either push it or pull it to overcompensate for pushing

Will a fat putter grip help?

My confidence in short putts is pretty bad right now, I typically either push it or pull it to overcompensate for pushing

I was having this same issue and switched to left hand low to trick my brain, at least temporarily. But now I'm really liking it, and plan to stick with it for the foreseeable future. Haven't missed a putt inside 4 feet in several rounds, after some semi-yips previously. Of course my ball striking has gone from the best it's ever been to fairly awful in the last few weeks.

2 weeks ago I played 36 holes and was 7 under, one round in a tournament. Last week I played 45 holes and was 18 over. All on the same course with comparable conditions. Golf is weird.

Anyone done a trip to Cabot in Canada? Looking at planning for 2022, seeing if anyone has any experience advice.

I went multiple tournament days for the PGA down there in 2012 and it wasn't the best fan experience IMO. Difficult getting on/off the island and like you said, very few great viewing areas. I don't have any interest in going back for this year. (Although, I love the course and am excited about watching the coverage.)

Well, after discouraging attendance at the PGA it looks like I might be attending myself, but I've got housing with a buddy on the island, so that's nice.

Well, after discouraging attendance at the PGA it looks like I might be attending myself, but I've got housing with a buddy on the island, so that's nice.

Kind of having sellers remorse. But the $700+ we made per weekly ticket will help pay for a sweet vacation the following weekend, so all is good. Turns out, I really need to be in Utah for work until at least Thursday of PGA week anyways.

Where you thinking of setting up? I am sure the Adirondacks on 18 will be taken by 5:00 AM.

I left my Scotty Cameron blade for the Odyssey Series 7 due to this issue. It has worked great for me, and I'm holing many more putts. I had a Super Stroke and might go back to it, but have just been using the regular pistol grip which is kind of in between. Good luck.

Anyone done a trip to Cabot in Canada? Looking at planning for 2022, seeing if anyone has any experience advice.

A friend of mine is a rater for Golf Digest and has played in LOTS of places everywhere. He prefers Cabot to Bandon and could not say enough good things about the trip.

I love the Kirkland putter + weight set. The club comes with a SuperStroke installed & the set includes a counter-weight
for the grip.

Everytime I get into a funk, I'll switch something minor up.

I played 2 rounds with it and got rid of both of my Camerons. Haven't looked back.

I try not to adjust anything a couple weeks out from competition, but it's done wonders for my game.

My vokey setup is 50.08/56.14/62.08, F grinds on the first 2 and M grind on the 62. Currently SM7's but SM8's on the way. My understanding is the D grind enhances playable bounce for softer conditions while the S grind reduces it a bit for firmer conditions. The F is neutral, the most popular grind on tour, and good from anywhere in any conditions. Going with aggressive grinds and super low bounce setups is another one of those buyer beware things in my opinion. If you have a lot of time to practice your wedge game they can definitely allow for more shotmaking. 9 times out of 10 when someone I play with has a reduced grind and opens the club face or goes the opposite route and plays a bump off their back foot, it's a recipe for fat chunks where the blade gets stuck in the ground or they make a flop swing that goes straight under the ball and goes nowhere. Maybe folks with certain swing types or chipping styles click with certain grinds, hasn't been my experience though so I stick to the basics.

I'm playing SM7s - 54 and 58 lofts, M grind, 8 degree bounce. What does that mean, I have no idea? My short game is what keeps me competitive so something must be working...

my mom is visiting in june over her birthday, would like to take her out for a round

favorite dc area course that won't completely break the bank? how is potomac shores?

my mom is visiting in june over her birthday, would like to take her out for a round

favorite dc area course that won't completely break the bank? how is potomac shores?

it would be shameful to not go to east potomac.

but my other two favs are the umd course or pohick bay

PShores is a little overhyped in my opinion. Also depends on how much you want to pay and how hard you want the course to be. PShores is pricey and it's a Nicklaus course so it's (annoyingly, imho) tricky. I have Westfields and Raspberry Falls in this category as well - pretty solid but overpriced. To be fair, PShores does give you a little of that country club feel.

Whiskey Creek is the best, Worthington Manor a close 2nd (they host a US Open qualifier so again, not an easy track) to me. Blue Mash and Bull Run are both solid and have some good prices occasionally. The other gem is Laurel Hill which is actually a public course, but depending on where you're coming from and time of day it can be tricky to play - weekend times are reserved for members and traffic on 95 can be rough.

Just went down this rabbit hole earlier today. Seems like you'd want to find a big wig with a private jet to join in on the trip. 2 flights to Halifax and then a 4 hour drive is no bueno. I guess you could probably do some other cool stuff on the way to break it up.

Halifax isn't that bad to get to. Change flights at JFK or Logan. I actually drove up there once from Charlotte and took the ferry from Bar Harbor, ME. Seems like you'd be able to take a third flight from Halifax to Sydney and then do a Cape Breton vacation.

That course looks awesome though.

You can get to Cabot faster than you can get to Bandon. And I would guess that a lot of people drive the 4+ hours from Portland to Bandon.

I've been pricing out Bandon for next summer. Costs way more than any of the 4 Scotland trips I've put together.

Ordered up a TSi3 yesterday. Was getting 4 to 5 mph more ball speed vs. My TM Sim.

Btw, the Sim might be the worst driver TM has made in a decade.

Back