• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I love my GPS app. It improves my play and tracks my statistics. Golfshot FTW. I don't play too slow though. Never taken more than 4.5 hours on 18. Usually 4 or less, and I'm a terrible golfer.

By myself I am usually around 2hrs with people about 3-3.5.

Anyone play at Winston Lake about 3 weeks ago and let another Deacon fan play through? Said you tailgated in the orange lot?

Can somebody recommend a good (cheap) golf ball?

I know a couple of companies have switched hands (IIRC, didn't Dicks buy Maxfli and start producing cheaper balls under the same labels?) but I've been away for too long to know what's what.

I used to play the Pro V1X... I'm remarkably short off the tee & with my irons and that ball always seemed to give me a little boost, especially on the roll. I had a few of those still laying around but I've about torn the cover off of the ones that are still in my bag so its time to move on.

The most important factor for me is consistency around the greens (especially with pitches <50 yards)... The Pro V's always seemed to perform consistently in that regard which is how i justified their cost. I know I bounced between some model of TaylorMade balls w/ Black and Red versions a few years back and was amazed at how differently each ball responded to spin on short shots...

I don't necessarily need a low-spin or a high-spin ball... I just want something that I feel confident with & pretty much know how their going to act if I hit my intended shot around the green.

Buy them used on EBay. I play Bridgestone e6, and I can get them on eBay for less than $1 a ball. They retail for $25+ per dozen. I have bought any condition from AAA and up, and quality is great.

Can somebody recommend a good (cheap) golf ball?

I know a couple of companies have switched hands (IIRC, didn't Dicks buy Maxfli and start producing cheaper balls under the same labels?) but I've been away for too long to know what's what.

I used to play the Pro V1X... I'm remarkably short off the tee & with my irons and that ball always seemed to give me a little boost, especially on the roll. I had a few of those still laying around but I've about torn the cover off of the ones that are still in my bag so its time to move on.

The most important factor for me is consistency around the greens (especially with pitches <50 yards)... The Pro V's always seemed to perform consistently in that regard which is how i justified their cost. I know I bounced between some model of TaylorMade balls w/ Black and Red versions a few years back and was amazed at how differently each ball responded to spin on short shots...

I don't necessarily need a low-spin or a high-spin ball... I just want something that I feel confident with & pretty much know how their going to act if I hit my intended shot around the green.

Buy the ProV1 X outs or ProV1 Practice balls. Should be $25-30/dozen.

Walking a course in the late spring at dusk is my idea of heaven.

Either that or first tracks in the dew. Even better if you can do both in the same day. Man, I miss being a kid.

To those in Virginia, go play Spring Creek Golf Club near Charlottesville. It is phenomenal and only about $90. Disregard the trailer park clubhouse. I have played 4 rounds there and at Kinloch and I think it blows Kinloch out of the water, as long as you are focusing on the golf course and not amenities.

http://www.springcreekgolfclub.com/

vt what - There is simply no way you played an 8 hour round of golf.

To those in Virginia, go play Spring Creek Golf Club near Charlottesville. It is phenomenal and only about $90. Disregard the trailer park clubhouse. I have played 4 rounds there and at Kinloch and I think it blows Kinloch out of the water, as long as you are focusing on the golf course and not amenities.

Spring Creek is frequently listed on GolfNow for ~50% off. I was actually considering heading out there this afternoon.

When was the last time you played Kinloch? I've never played it but my Richmond friends talk about it like its Augusta National North.

Short off the tee + chugging a beer every time you hit a bad shot from 200+ out + playing with three other guys doing the same = 8 hour round of golf. Sounds miserable on all fronts.

Oh, it was real.

Yeah, I just checked GolfNow again & they have a $25 tee-time (w/ cart) available for 2:10 this afternoon.

I just booked my spot if anybody else in the area wants to join. I think I'll have one more coming w/ me from RIC.

I'm counting on it being as nice as you say!

Played Kinloch about 18 months ago. Its a great golf course with amazing facilities. But, I think the golf course gets overrated because of how great the facilities, amenities etc are. If you are talking pure golf course, I'm playing Spring Creek every time. I hope SC is in good shape for you, as it is truly amazing, but the fact its a pure muni could make conditioning a little difficult. I'm interested to hear your take on it after you play.

Short off the tee + chugging a beer every time you hit a bad shot from 200+ out + playing with three other guys doing the same = 8 hour round of golf. Sounds miserable on all fronts.

There is just no way the course would allow this to happen. The public golf business model is built on getting people around as quick as possible so they can get more people on the course. I have a hard time believing that a course would ever allow itself to be so backed up that it took 8 hours for foursomes to get around, because it cuts right into their bottom line. I've never seen a round take longer than 6 hours, even under tournament conditions when people are grinding over every shot.

Played Kinloch about 18 months ago. Its a great golf course with amazing facilities. But, I think the golf course gets overrated because of how great the facilities, amenities etc are. If you are talking pure golf course, I'm playing Spring Creek every time. I hope SC is in good shape for you, as it is truly amazing, but the fact its a pure muni could make conditioning a little difficult. I'm interested to hear your take on it after you play.

This might not be the best time of year for conditioning. Assuming they over seeded, most of the winter rye should be dying out and the bermuda probably isn't coming in up there the way it is here in NC. Also, most courses punched their greens in the last few weeks.

I'm looking forward to it... I booked it thinking it would be a longer haul from my house than it actually is... I guess its in Gordonsville which is on the RIC side of Charlottesville.

Mapquest is putting it at a 45 minute drive.

Its supposed to be 71* and sunny this afternoon... Hopefully somebody else can jump on the special w/ me. Here's the link. I promise to be mostly pleasant except if the Bz topic comes up in conversation.

Might be wrong, but I think they have bent fairways.

There is just no way the course would allow this to happen. The public golf business model is built on getting people around as quick as possible so they can get more people on the course. I have a hard time believing that a course would ever allow itself to be so backed up that it took 8 hours for foursomes to get around, because it cuts right into their bottom line. I've never seen a round take longer than 6 hours, even under tournament conditions when people are grinding over every shot.

As I said in the OP, we only saw one twosome out on the course that day (who we promptly let through). It was wide open.

Royal New Kent has Brit-styled rough & that certainly didn't help matters. I mean, the weather was good & the guys in the group were in no rush... they had no problem spending an inordinate amount of time searching for errant shots, etc.

I get around by myself in 1:50-2:00 and in 3:30 with most groups... So yeah, it was pretty unbelievable.

A little local golf news - Reynolds Park's greens are being resurfaced with Diamond Zoysia. The back nine is being done this week and the front nine will be done when the back nine is reopened for play.

I'm jealous that most of the area courses are getting newer greens lately. Starmount, Sedgefield, Bermuda Run, Reynolds Park, Wilshire either have, or are getting new greens. Based on how the project goes at Reynolds Park, the county will likely redo the greens at Tanglewood in the very near future as well.

If your course hasn't made the switch, or isn't planning to make the switch, they are being left behind and it will hurt them in coming years.

Back